• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Has The Highest Miles On Their 02?

Malagatii

I know it's a loaded question with modifications, etc, but I'm now over a year into my first 02 which has 136k on her and I'm curious just how many miles I can put on her (with proper maintenance and upkeep of course).  She's my daily driver and I'd love to see her break well over 200k.  if i had to I can always swap engines etc.. but how far can the chassis go?  

So here's the question: what's the most miles you have seen on an 02, with or without modifications?

• DriveTrain?
  • Chassis?

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

My '75, which I've  owned for 32 years and is driven daily, has 378,000 + miles on it.  Been thru a few automatic trannies and engines, but do all the work (except A/C items) myself since my trusted mechanic retired about 7 years ago.  (Mine is the Chamonix on the left in the photo - the Pastellblau "76 is my wife's daily driver for the past 15 years).post-10-0-39585100-1383796424_thumb.jpg

Bob Napier

My '69--bought new--223k miles--valve job at 157k, rest of the engine is original, as is the tranny and diff

My '73--owned since '78--243k miles; engine rebuild at 204k after blown head gasket.  crank journals had less than .004" wear, as did the cylinder walls...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

+1 on dev02,  Mine has 154K, and stays the same every year!  Changed the Transmission about 20 years ago, could not hook the odo cable back up.  Trans has been great and motor is all original with my estimate of about 185K now.

1970 Granada 1600 "The 16",  2000 528i Siena Red "The 5",  1968 Mustang 289 Muscle Car Blue, 

1999 318ti M Package Green,  1982 633CSi 5 speed Blue,  2011 550i M Package Black (6 speed manual)

I am the original owner of my 74 tii and I put 205,000 miles on mine before doing a restoration.  Only routine maintenance done during all those miles and it still had the original clutch in it.

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

I was told by Ottos wife mine had 680k on it when I got it from the original owner ....Otto was dead but she said it had had several motors in it and the drivers seat rebuilt twice. I put over 40k on it before selling it to Marc berger

Edited by BLUNT

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I bought mine in 1991 with 87k on the clock. I currently have 413,000 going strong as a daily driver. Current engine has 175k, we're on it's thrid complete suspension, third set of upholstery, and over 120 oil changes in my ownership.  

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot

I believe Earl Myers is past 400K miles.

I got a ride in his car a number of times. It's tight.

Cheers,

Ray,

Thanks for the compliment.  Quit keeping track at 850K, this was before retiring from 30 yrs Active Duty US Army in 2004.  Bought the car new still my daily driver, lots of PCS/TDY, and cross country treks.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Edited by Emyers

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

Ray,

Thanks for the compliment.  Quite keeping track at 850K, this was before retiring from 30 yrs Active Duty US Army in 2004.  Bought the car new still my daily driver, lots of PCS/TDY, and cross country treks.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

BMW should give you a rebuild -- but the car doesn't need it!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Ray,

Thanks for the compliment.  Quit keeping track at 850K, this was before retiring from 30 yrs Active Duty US Army in 2004.  Bought the car new still my daily driver, lots of PCS/TDY, and cross country treks.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M Roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

thanks for your service.