• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Best Piece Of Advice That You Got On The Faq...

Always amazed by the amount of time and money that this site saves me with sage advice/info on our cars (Thanks, Steve).

Curious as to what's the best piece of advice that you've found here?

One of my more recent nuggets came from C.D. when I was looking high and low (mostly in Europe) for targa bar weather seals for my car:

"AND BEFORE YOU pay for shipping, dollar/EURO conversion
charge on your credit card, import duty taxes, check with
your dealers right here in the good old USofA first

ferinstance:

seal # 5 - 51.71.1.820.370 sugg list us price $65"

Sure enough, thanks to C.D., found them both through Max.

So what's your valuable nugget of info/advice you found here at 2002 FAQ?

Paul Huber

1972 2002 Baur Targa in Baikal & 1971 2002 Pickup in Silver/Surf

"The more you know, the less you need."

—Aboriginal Saying

"You should not have bought that one"

howabout .... A pre-purchase inspection should be done prior to purchase no matter the seller.  I think that's been reiterated many times.

For me the best advise came shortly after I bought the car, it was someone on here who said "Use common sense when working on this car and you'll be fine".

howabout .... A pre-purchase inspection should be done prior to purchase no matter the seller.  I think that's been reiterated many times.

Absolutely. However, it didn't stick, which is why I didn't cite it. OTOH, having it pointed out that I made a stupid mistake buying without one ... that's advice for a lifetime.

Don't assume the last person to work on the car put it together correctly.  I have heard way to many times "I put it back together EXACTLY the way it was" 

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

That there are resistor wires in the wiring harness and resistance at the coil must total 3 ohms.

Just finding good vendors like Blunt and Rogertii was a life saver in and of itself!

Edited by Stevenc22

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

"don't be a dick"  IIRC

Still working on that one though.

Edited by Cyclone101

'71 2002 Malaga, fun weekender

'70 2002ti Colorado, Restoration/money pit

'74 2002 turbo in my dreams, sideways...

1) Bill William's signature: "90% of your fuel problems are in your ignition, Mike."

2) c.d.'s "change oil, adjust valves, recheck timing, THEN tell us how it runs."

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

Estimate the price of the rebuild. Double it and triple the time estimated to do the work. Double those numbers again because you thought you were being clever anticipating things in the first place.

If someone says a diy is easy and should only take an hour or two, stop, realize they are lying, and book off your weekend. Buy beer because part way through you will need it. Accept that the garage will be occupied for 3 weeks at least.

A part will go on sale only after you bought one full price.

Only parts nla or on backorder will ever fail at the worst possible moment.

The car is not slow. You are.

The first step to being fast on the track is to accept that you suck

The best mechanics read manuals.

The worst mechanics know everything

Cars that cost less to buy are always more expensive in the long run

Just because a car is priced high, it does not mean it is not crap.

Buy the best car you can afford.

A free car is not a bargain. The old owner is just smarter than you, and knows that the car is not worth the cost of repairs.

If you want to make money, don't buy cars. If you think you can make money on cars despite this warning, trust me, and let your spouse invest your savings. Old people need to eat too.

If you are shopping for an 02, and it has rust, move on. If care was such that the parts you see are rusted, think about all the rusted parts in areas you can't see.

The cheapest way to restore an old car is to let someone else do it, (and then buy it off them once they realize market prices are far from what they put into the car.)

The fun of driving should always trump restoration perfection. Dirt does not slow you down.

Keep projects small. Too much elbow grease and you will go bankrupt or burn out and only have a blog, slammed shell, and fancy half finished engine to sell out of frustration or apathy.

Cars are like humans. They start wearing out from day one.

No restoration is ever finished

Cars are about driving... Limit time spent not driving.

Edited by gliding_serpent

1973 2002Tii (Pacific Blue)

1984 911 3.2 Carrera (Platnum Metallic)

2009 328xi (Black Sapphire Metallic)

2010 Mazda Speed3 (Black Metallic)

Don't buy the first car you run across.

Take someone else with you when looking at a car.

Bring plenty of tools and parts on a trip and you are almost guaranteed not to need them.

My new quote (hope someone else hasn't already used it):

Buy a 2002 and create a whole new world full of friends and experiences.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"