• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Separation Anxiety!

jrhone

My car is away getting some major work.  I have had some major leaks.  Oil is pretty much coming from everywhere.  Oil pan, front cover, it just seams like its pouring out of the engine.  Other than that the car is an absolute blast to drive!  So I took the car to Ken at Vintage BMW Racing and he is going to pull the head, do a valve job, put new rockers in, put in a 292 cam, then put it all back together after fixing the leaks and rebuild the Weber 38 carb for good measure.  This should add a bit more kick for power and should keep my garage floor nice and clean.  The problem, I'll be without my 02 for a few weeks.  Its been 4 days and I am already having huge separation anxiety!  Whats cool is Ken has a loaner car, its a square tail automatic...turtle like in performance, but its an 02...and its actually not a bad car.  It makes you appreciate the mods that I have done to mine.  Ireland Stage II suspension, with Bistein Sports.  Recaro seats, 284 cam, high compression pistons, 38/38 carb, Ireland headers and custom exhaust, Tii distributor with pertonix.  So I look forward to getting my trusty 02 back and continuing the modding and restoration.  Its got a few more things mechanically that I want to do and then paint!  I'm just venting and reading more stuff in the forums to get by...

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Hang in there. I can feel your pain through your post. It'll be all the better when you get it back.

1976 2002 (Grey Ghost)

2002 X5 3.0i Newly Added

2001 Z3 Roadster 2.5i

1976 Malaga 2002 (totaled by city bus)

1985 535i (totaled. Hit from behind)

1981 320i (trade-in. AC issues)

LIFE IS SHORT, TIME TO DRIVE.

Try driving the automatic by manually shifting, especially between 2nd and 3rd.  It's actually quite spritely when manually shifted--not quite the same as a 4 speed, but much better than letting it shift for itself.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks E!  I know you understand...I think I'll be back rolling before you...but you will have A LOT of fun with yours when you get it back!  Looking forward to getting your review on the new engine.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

I feel ya! I had to drop my car off at my parents house for a month of storage so I could move home in my truck. I miss that car now :( Gonna have a blast with that car as soon as I get back to it! Then I'll pull it into the garage for a motor refresh >.< Hang in there mate!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 2 weeks later...

I do!  its the next step I think.  I didn't want to just slap them on there...plus I like doing things in steps so I can see the differences....So put the new cam in, rebuild the head, do the valve job, fix the leaks, tune the 38/38 and see what I have...Then do the dual 40's.  If there is a problem with any of this stuff, I wanna know where its coming from.  Should be picking the car up soon!  It's ready!!!  To do the dual 40's right, I will be upgrading the ignition system, and probably an electric fuel pump...again in addition to tuning the carbs...so I don't wanna add all that to the top end rebuild.

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon

trying waiting 4 months to drive your 02... Im rebuilding the engine, did full 5 speed swap, new bushings, full coil overs, etc from IE. I have anxiety built up for months!!!!! hang in!!!!

Damian

76 2002

Dirka Dirka..

Why new rockers??

I'll answer that one…

Here's the logic: We're working on an engine build of, basically, unknown origin and mileage. The existing rockers are the 'laso' brand (my least favorite), in a cylinder head which experienced stress during previous assembly / disassembly (as evidenced by mushroomed rocker shafts at both ends). It's not a stretch to wonder what else was sacrificed?

Add to that John's request for a 292 camshaft (with more lift over stock) and his propensity to drive the car hard…

Safe and smart, it seems, to change the rocker arms. -KB

It's been about a year now since my last drive but mine is slowly getting its swap done. I can't wait to roll the car out of the garage under its own power! Always such a joy to get your wheels back!

1974 2002 - M20/Getrag 260 swap underway

My 75 ride went through a similar rebuild over the last few months at EUROTech in mission Viejo. Top end rebuild, new shrick 292 cam new 38/28 installed, shorty manifold new SSW exhaust. Car runs real well now. The engine is ready for dual side draft upgrade but I'm holding out for an LSD upgrade first ...........time will tell

j

1975 - modified - the "silver back"

@https://twitter.com/jangelurbano