• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace Motor Mounts Without Engine Hoist?

Grover

I need to replace my motor mounts but don't have an engine hoist. Is this possible? Maybe using a jack to lift and/or hold the motor? Can it be done well without draining the cooling system as suggested in the Blue shop manual? Thanks.

Driver side mount is cake. I've swapped those out in as little as 15 minutes. Just get a helper to hold the motor. It pivots quite easily

Right side mount can be a pain. I'm 50/50 on those. On my tii, I did it by myself (swapped in an ireland engineering yellow mount). On my friends tii, it took a couple of hours because of stuck bolts... but his car had been hit before, so things were a bit out of alignment. A jack and a board is all that is needed. It can be a bit tedious to line up the mount though if the motor moves.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Driver side mount is cake. I've swapped those out in as little as 15 minutes. Just get a helper to hold the motor. It pivots quite easily

Right side mount can be a pain. I'm 50/50 on those. On my tii, I did it by myself (swapped in an ireland engineering yellow mount). On my friends tii, it took a couple of hours because of stuck bolts... but his car had been hit before, so things were a bit out of alignment. A jack and a board is all that is needed. It can be a bit tedious to line up the mount though if the motor moves.

+1

Doable without a hoist.  Just do your best to not move the motor when the mount is out.

Beast 02- '74 2002
Beast 35- '11 135i
The Twins!!!
O=00=O

I've done it multiple times without a hoist.  Jack and a 12" long piece of 2x4, and a rolled up newspaper for the passenger side.  Driver's side, i've done it by myself - just push with one hand and slip it in place with the other.  A lot easier with a helper.  Wish I had one.

For the passenger side mount:

Put the 2x4 on the jack, and put the rolled up newspaper on top of the 2x4.  Raise the jack until it is taking the weight of the engine.  Unbolt the mount on the front subframe.  Trial and error with jack height.  Once you have all the weight up off the subframe, unbolt the mount from the block.  

The big thing with the passenger side mount - make sure you get the "forward movement arrester" put in correctly, else you could get a nice round pattern on your radiator.  And no - not from experience.

Finally - a word about mounts.  Urethane is probably OK for the passenger side mount.  Not so good for the driver's side mount.  I've gone through 3 sets of IE urethane D/S mounts - all unbonded and failed.  When that happens, your distributor cap whacks the firewall and usually breaks.  I will never run a urethane mount ever again on the driver's side.

Good Luck.  Happy wrenching.

Edited by Kidasters

FAQ Member # 2616

"What do you mean NEXT project?"

-- My wife.

What everyone else said.

A jack works fine, just be smart about where you put your fingers and your melon.

When I've done both at the same time, I'll do the drivers side, then leave it loose so that

the motor can move a bit more freely- getting the passenger's side in is often a real pain,

and being able to wiggle the engine helps a lot.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Good idea to remove the distributor cap too if you are lifting the engine. Ask me how I know!

'71 02 - parts car with not many parts left

'73 02 - weekend toy and money pit

'74 04 - sold in '91

'03 325iT - for trips and bad weather

'03 50cc Honda Scooter - for my 2 mile commute

'06 50cc Honda scooter - wife's commuter