austinmf

Anyone Using The City Light As A Drl?

14 posts / 1546 viewsLast Reply

Anyone using the euro headlight city light as a daytime running light?

3 watt bulbs and are invisible during the day...and I'd be leery of putting a higher wattage incandescent bulb in the socket due to wire size...but if you can find a (much) brighter LED, that might work.

cheers

mike

I have mine wired so anytime the ignition on the city lights are on But Mike is right Its not REAL noticeable

Thank you guys! I had city lights in an old scirocco but I cannot remember if they were bright or not... I was going to hard wire relay them in but if they are dim, I will go another route.

As mentioned before LED may work if you manage to get a higher what bulb in there and you are up to re-wiring then you got a nice project in hand.

Don't they put DRL's on the front of the car, and not the side?

City lights are contained inside the Euro headlight housing, not the turn signals. The stock power comes from the turn signals, since they come on with the parking lights. I think...

I have thought about using a colored led for accent lighting at shows, etc. I want one that works on a separate switch. If you find a good LED solution, share with the class.

I have them wired to the parking light circuit on my 2002 and my e30. They really aren't that bright in the e30 but in the 02 (Ceibe) they are.

0839b81d.jpg

John

Those look almost like headlights! What bulbs are you using? I still have not embraced the LED light look yet

I use them every time i drive during the day; saves the h4's. 4 watt bulbs and bosch headlights, not enough to drive with, but easy to see from a distance. Just like Harv's.

Daniel Stern Lighting suggested a 6W bulb to give the city lights some additional oomph, here is a shot of my 68 at dusk with the 6W installed. They are reasonably bright but I don't think they'd do much during the day.

IMG_0070.jpg

I use them every time i drive during the day; saves the h4's. 4 watt bulbs and bosch headlights, not enough to drive with, but easy to see from a distance. Just like Harv's.

how much grinding of the headlight bucket did you need to do?  I think I am going to have to grind enough off to compromise the integrity  

how much grinding of the headlight bucket did you need to do?  I think I am going to have to grind enough off to compromise the integrity

There is some grinding but not that much.

I don't know what the wattage of my city bulbs but they all came from DS Lighting so they must be 6's.

John