• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone Using The City Light As A Drl?

austinmf

3 watt bulbs and are invisible during the day...and I'd be leery of putting a higher wattage incandescent bulb in the socket due to wire size...but if you can find a (much) brighter LED, that might work.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you guys! I had city lights in an old scirocco but I cannot remember if they were bright or not... I was going to hard wire relay them in but if they are dim, I will go another route.

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

As mentioned before LED may work if you manage to get a higher what bulb in there and you are up to re-wiring then you got a nice project in hand.

I'm no longer affiliated with Maximillian Importing Company in any way, please address any questions directly to them.  -Thanks.

2002 "tii" coupe 1970
E21 320/6 2.7 Stroker 1981
E23 730 1978

City lights are contained inside the Euro headlight housing, not the turn signals. The stock power comes from the turn signals, since they come on with the parking lights. I think...

I have thought about using a colored led for accent lighting at shows, etc. I want one that works on a separate switch. If you find a good LED solution, share with the class.

-David

1972 2002 - 2577652 Follow the fun

• 4 months later...

I use them every time i drive during the day; saves the h4's. 4 watt bulbs and bosch headlights, not enough to drive with, but easy to see from a distance. Just like Harv's.

how much grinding of the headlight bucket did you need to do?  I think I am going to have to grind enough off to compromise the integrity  

FOR SALE-----74 2002tii 2782194 Turkis, Megasquirt, Korman road sport springs, Bilstein HD shocks, 13" FPS Bottle Caps

Just drive with your low beams on. Bulbs aren't that expensive... I do it in all my rigs and have no issue. 

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

how much grinding of the headlight bucket did you need to do?  I think I am going to have to grind enough off to compromise the integrity

There is some grinding but not that much.

I don't know what the wattage of my city bulbs but they all came from DS Lighting so they must be 6's.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades