• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door seal installation DIY?

supark

Hi all - got new door seals for the 02, and trying to figure out the best way to tackle them. It's clear I'll need some sort of plastic wedge tool to help compress the top part of the trim into the groove, but aside from that I'm not sure the best way to approach it. Any tips you guys can shoot my way?

I've done this several times over the years, and these thoughts may help;

1. Clean off old adhesive as best you can. Auto body paint stores are a good source for the correct type of solvent.

2. I use 3M Super Weatherstrip and Gasket Adhesive #08008. It's black, which makes a small spot of missed clean-up less noticable. Follow the instructions; i.e., do short lengths one at a time.

3. I like to start in the upper, rear corner and work across the top first, but this approach is not "written in stone".

4. Using the solvent in #1 clean up any squeezed-out adhesive right away as you go. The longer you wait the harder it is to clean-up.

5. My last tip would be to not stretch it as you go because over time the rubber tends to shrink a little, so give it some shrinking-material room as you go.

Bob Napier

post-144-13667661614799_thumb.jpg

No glue needed in the upper track just the lower A pillar and lower B pillar where to door panel is.

You may need to adjust the vent frame, window and B pillar strike to make the door components fit properly with the new rubber.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,359598/

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

awesome thanks for the tips guys - very helpful. So a butter knife will do the trick to get the top part in the groove? Was afraid that it might cut the rubber, but if it's worked for others I'll give it a try

Only had time before dinner last night with the lady to do the driver side and it was a lot less painful than I thought it'd be.

I used a 1.5" wide stiff putty knife to get the rubber into the groove, starting from the rearward top corner, and it worked great. Cleaned up the pillars well with 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner and used 3M gasket and seal adhesive (black tube) to glue the strips in on the sides. Used blue masking tape to hold the rubber in place while it dries. The driver side took me about 45 mins to get it all in perfectly, and then the passenger side only took about 20 mins after I figured out the trick to getting the seal into the groove. Thanks all for your help everyone, much appreciated.

A windshield "bone" is the correct tool for installing since it is stout yet blunt and won't damage the rubber. You can also use it for installing a windshield and a bunch of other trim items that you don't want damaged. Go to a local auto glass store and ask for one.

72 Tii 2761525 Fjord- sunroof

73 Tii 2762870 Malaga- sunroof

73 Tii 2763356 Atlantic- sunroof

73 Tii 2763815 Fjord- sunroof

For posterity's sake: What brand seals did you get? How is the overall quality fit?

Thanks!

-Lloyd

Used fcp ones because they were half the price and fitment was honestly great, didn't have to trim them at all

• 1 year later...

I did a quick search and also looked in the Blue book. (I've only had 1 cup of coffee).

I am removing the stock door seals from the 69 and found the upper section is attached to the body using an aluminum strip (BMW calls it a "frame").   The strip is pop riveted to the door jamb and I cannot figure out how to remove it.  I have removed 3/4 of the door seal just not the upper portion.

Should I pry it off the car and not reuse it?

Do the new seals use the strip/frame piece?

Penske BMW Parts graphic # 41 / 25b

Left side frame # 51716454239

Right side frame # 51716454240

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Jim,

It's been forever since I R&R'd seals, but I believe the frame stays in place and the seal slips/slides into place, unless your plan is to replace the frame, too..

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Jim,

It's been forever since I R&R'd seals, but I believe the frame stays in place and the seal slips/slides into place, unless your plan is to replace the frame, too..

The seal seems to be glued to the strip. Prying down on the seal made the first rivet break and the strip is starting to deform.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"