• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

OT: New addition to the garage, thanks to the FAQ

Ian

I'd like to thank the members of this board for their help in my recent hunt for a '91 318is. In particular, Mike Self for his putting up with my endless e30 questions, and William Harris, for checking the car out for me within 24 hrs of my request for help.

I'd been looking for an e30 for my daughter, as I wanted something safe, reliable, and close-enough to the 2002 that I could still figure the mechanicals. The 318is seemed perfect; fun, sporty-looking, yet without enough horsepower to get a teenager into trouble. I found a listing on Craigslist in Pelham, NH, and by coincidence my daughter had a field hockey tournament in Albany, NY this past Sunday. As Albany was approximately half-way between Rochester and Pelham, we decided to drive to Albany Friday night, and then take a day-trip to Pelham to check out the 318is.

So last Friday night my daughter and I drove a rental car over to Albany after work during a freak snow storm, which thankfully didn't extend east of Syracuse. On Saturday we took a road-trip to Pellham, NH and bought the 318is. We turned the rental car in at Pelham and took turns driving the BMW back to Albany. My daughter adores the car, and has named her "Skeeter". Skeeter did well on the drive, and endeared herself to my heart the next morning, when she started right up at 6:30 in the morning in 2F temperature in Albany.

Claire%26Skeeter01%20copy.jpg

The interior of the car is in excellent shape, but the body is a little rough. My daughter wants to learn how to work on the car, so she'll drive the car for a year while we fix mechanical things and some rust on the body, and then during the summer of her junior year she and I will repaint the car in our garage. So far her color choices are bright, but at least not garish!

My daughter pointed out that Skeeter is as old today as our 2002 was when we acquired it in 1995, so the tradition of ancient bimmers continues! My daughter actually shamed me into naming the 2002. I figured at his advanced age, and impeding resurrection from a long rebuilding sleep, he should be named Lazarus. I've attached a pic of my daughter with Skeeter and Laz. I can almost hear Skeeter egging Laz to get up off his duff, and get out of the garage.

Claire%26Skeeter02%20copy.jpg

Thanks again to all who helped with this project, whether directly or by your comments on previous e30-related posts.

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

fold of well loved 02s and their direct descendents.

For those who haven't driven an E30 318is, it is about as close as you can get to an 02 without being one. Even the revs at speed on the highway are very close to those in a 5 speed 2002...

A great substitute for an '02 when the weather is either too hot or too cold--with snow and salt.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Ian , Give me the last 7 of Skeeter's VIN number

and I'll tell you a story

Lucky daughter, Proud father. Have great car fun and memories.

Wave at my family in Hammondsport as you pass by next time.

Creighton

p.s.

please keep it the same color

sign her up for BMWCCA drivers school at The Glen

or Lime Rock. Perfect car for it and she'll be hooked.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Hi C.D., thanks for the thoughts.

Ian , Give me the last 7 of Skeeter's VIN number

and I'll tell you a story

EE67419

Lucky daughter, Proud father. Have great car fun and memories.

Wave at my family in Hammondsport as you pass by next time.

Creighton

p.s.

please keep it the same color

sign her up for BMWCCA drivers school at The Glen

or Lime Rock. Perfect car for it and she'll be hooked.

On the color issue, what can I say. It will be her car, and she doesn't plan to sell it, so there is not much influence I can wield. But if we change the color, we'll pull the doors and do the jams, the engine bay, etc. She learned to weld when I bought my welder, so I think she'll keep the car for a good long time.

Funny you should mention driving on the track. The 2002 has always been her favorite, even from her days in kindergarten, when I took her on a parade lap during lunch at a DE at Homestead raceway in FL. She used to call it the "bumpy blue car" because of the stiff track suspension. She'll take the Street Survival course this spring, and I am sure she will be at the Glen when she is old enough.

I pity the future boyfriend that can't drive a manual transmission. Can you imagine the performance pressure when your date shows up with a 5-speed, and you drive a minivan?

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Great story -- worthy of an article in Roundel.

Your daughter is unique and special (in the very best way!). Tell her not to compromise when it comes to cars and with MEN. She won't end up with a wienie driving a 'macho man' vehicle with an AUTO tranny. haha.

Best wishes to you both. Keep bonding over the bimmers --the dividends will be huge.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

EE67419

1991 MODEL YEAR

AG MODEL CODE AF93-318IS/2

NA MODEL CODE 9134-318IS

PAINT CODE 244 STERLING SILVER

INTERIOR CODE 0166 BLACK LETHERETTE

MSRP $23,410.oo

VEHICLE PRODUCTION DATE 1990/05

MOTOR TYPE M42

PLATFORM ENGINEERING SERIES E30

ORIGINAL SALE 7/26/1990 HOLLOWAY BMW STRATHAM, NH. 03885

OPTION CODES:

0209 LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL

0116 318IS GROUP

0400 MANUAL SUNROOF

0ZC1 CENTRAL LOCKING SYSTEM

COOLING SYSTEM RECALL SIB#17-03-93

DONE 4/14/1994 @ 41,238 MILES

that is all. Enjoy.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Congrats and welcome to the 318is. I have one and can't part with it. Loads of driving fun. I have assorted pieces, parts and hoses laying around if you need.

The car is pretty bullet proof. In the 318 world silver is a desirable color. BTW, I highly rec www.m42club.com

You know, Skeeter does have a perfume that is reminiscent of antifreeze in the cabin, leading me to believe a heater core is in order. Got any of those lying around ;)

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Not a bad rig! If I wasn't a poor college student and didn't have a 2002 and a truck already I would pick up a 318is as a daily, awesome cars!! Good luck man!

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Great color, I love silver E30's. The 91 318is is a poor man's E30 M3 with the DOHC M42 motor. The car seems normal while driving around town. The M42 motor comes alive after 3500 RPM, to enjoy the car, drive it like you stole it.

I own a 91 E30 318i sedan. Same M42 motor as the coupe but with four door practicality. I always have a smile after driving the 318i.

G-Man

post-230-1366765459242_thumb.jpg

post-230-13667654594178_thumb.jpg

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Great story, beautiful car and daughter, hope she has lots of good luck with it !!

I've got a '90 325is and love it ! Would have just as well gone for a 318is if I could have found one in the condition of my 325. The 318 has a little better balance I believe because the M42 weighs less than the M20.

Suggest having her wear different footwear other than Uggs when behind the wheel. Those can't be the best in a footwell with 3 pedals.

Cheers!

1976 BMW 2002

1990 BMW 325is (newest addition)

1990 Porsche 964 C4 Cabriolet