• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hella 'Super' 7" H4 headlight group buy ?

MoBrighta

Headlight order going in soon- I am looking at a pair of the Hella SUPER, 7 inch H4 light from Germany ... anyone know about them?

These are a sealed beam replacement, bolt right in, plug in and go.  An upgrade over about anything available, far superior optics, and they offer an optional city light if you like that sort of thing.  Designed in the mid-1990's, so far better design than the typical halogen reflectors.

So, who on the forum has these lights, and do you like them?

A Pair of these is currently in Ryan's 1974 2002 "M2 project" car.  I sent headlight protection film and high output Narva RangePower 50+ lamps with the lights.  As some folks say, they provide "absolutely stunning performance."

Retailing elsewhere at $123 per light, I think I can get for $65 each (std), or $84 each (w/city light), plus shipping, light bulbs, and film if you want it.

Anyone interested?  Email me ASAP.  I will be placing the order in a day or so, act now if you are at least somewhat sure you'd like a set at this price.  If not, no biggie, but they are imported from Germany, 10-12 weeks delivery, and may be a little more coin if ordered one set at a time.

I know, be suspicious if it HAS to be paid now; but these will still be a good deal if you order in a week; it just delays their arrival is all.  If you want to think about it, that's good, but let me know now if you MIGHT consider a pair, and I'll let them know to put enough in the box in Germany so that you don't have to wait another three or four months for the next order to go in.  We don't like to order weekly, you understand.

Will post a picture later, open it up for discussion.

Edited by MoBrighta

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Tail Light upgrades keep them off your tail, out of your trunk;
Headlight film keeps your 'eyes' from being scratched out or broken.

OK, Ray, send me an email with your contact info, I'll add your name to the list.

Also I need to know-  with or without city lights?

Say hello to the bay for me will ya?  I have family down yonder.

Andy the tail light guy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"  [mailto:mobrighta@comcast.net]

Lighting Upgrades for E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back

What's the difference between the Hella 'SUPER' 7" and these Hella E code lights?

http://www.busdepot.com/0301600118

I've run Hella & Cibie 7" E code lights with high wattage bulbs in my 74 tii and they put out an incredible light pattern, a 100% improvement over POS sealed beam lights.

G-Man

Edited by Gordon

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

This may shed some light?

(oops!)

(link redacted)

:D:P

Edited by ray_

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

OK, here is a picture of the lights.

lens face2.bmp

What's the difference between the Hella 'SUPER' 7" and these Hella E code lights?

Part number, cost, and design.  The 70476 is from the early 70's, so no wonder they are less $.  The Super is a 1996 design.

I've run Hella & Cibie 7" E code lights with high wattage bulbs in my 74 tii and they put out an incredible light pattern, a 100% improvement over POS sealed beam lights.

G-Man

Thanks for your input. ANY halogen light from Hella is likely to be 100% better than pos sealed beams.  Unlike Bus Depot, I always suggest standard wattage, high OUTPUT lamps, to safeguard wiring and fuses, etc... or as they say, "to avoid letting the smoke out of the wires."  They call their high wattage bulbs 'high output' - I like to make a distinction.

This may shed some light?

Ray- The "Super DE" may have fooled you. Actually, DSL is a fantastic resource, but that page is not about the Hella Super - which is a parabolic reflector.

I'm also in for two sets. Are the city lights worth it?

1) OK, two pair it is. 

2) Entirely up to you.  My grocery getter is an E28, parking and turns combined up front. When I got my Cibies, I switched the parking lead to the city light in the low beam, instead of the one in the bumper.  Clearer perception of turn signals, plus European technology, who doesn't like that?  So obviously my answer would be YES.  What's yours?

I have those H4s from Busdepot in my Vanagon, and have a set of H4s on my 2002 but i think they're actually motorcycle lights. not sure what that means.... (4x)

1)  Good, and

2)  Usually means they are not legal in the US, the 'motorcycle' designation is 'CYA' - an escape clause to protect the seller.  How do these 'motorcycle headlights'  work?

Everyone - send me an email with your contact info, I'll add your name to the list.

Also please specify with or without city lights.  There is a cost increase of $19 each for this.

OK, that's five pair, with Marsattacks.  Got your pm.  Name, email, with or without, thanks!

Correction, six pair, with Chamonix.  Thanks David, and ditto!

^^X%$@@@(((*) 

(That's Thanks in MartianAndy

Edited by MoBrighta

OK, all- I've been trying to understand why some of you can send me email, others not.

Please take a look at my signature - bottom of my posts.

Hint - look at the end of the first line.

That should explain it... and why I get so many Chinese folks trying to sell me lights.

I wish there was a button in my profile to 'send an email' without having it in the sig....

Live and learn (again)

MoBrighta is the man. He really took the time to figure out exactly what I needed for my project 2002. I purchased these exact head lamps (city light model with lens covers) and am thoroughly pleased with the quality and how they look installed. I would not hesitate to buy from Andy. 

890a8522-4f3a-43ae-bce4-79283b736888_zps

(MoBrighta also refinished all the other light housings and lenses on my 02, and rebuilt the rear tail light housings with bulbs that put out more light when braking, etc. He does great work).

-Ryan

05/87 M3 Hennarot

04/71 2002tii Baikal

Well, thanks for weighing in, Ryan M.

Ryan D- got your email.

There it is, one happy customer and eleven more in the wings... one more and it's an even dozen.

Although when you think about it, what's so 'even' about a 'dozen' ?  Who says that multiples of 'two' are even anyway?  A Dozen eggs, where did that come from? Both are artificial constructs invented by some egghead (sorry about the pun).  What's so correct about the arbitrary choice of base ten numbering.  Arabic numbering, ya gotta love it!  I could go on, and on, and on, but ... I sense a disturbance in the force.   OK, I'll come down off the soap box.

Good Gravy, I otter be writing novels.

Edited by MoBrighta