• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Radiator - Refurbish Or Buy New?

Stuart

I had my original radiator recored for $300. I have a AC car in Texas Heat and have had no problems with the recored radiator. Nice thing about a recore is you know it will fit without modifications!

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Great info! Thanks to all.

Hope the information helps the OP, since I sorta invaded the thread with my questions.

Harry  Please report back after install. I know the fittings are a separate system and will not induce a leak if not capped but my understanding is they impede installation unless cut off. While I havent installed one of the spectra radiators myself Ive sold a bunch of them and have had conversations with customers installing them. I THOUGHT I knew what I was talking about but if those fittings do not have to be removed that would be useful information for me to relay to customers

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I have been running an OE rad from a 77 320i for the the better part of 30 years.  Uses the same hoses as the 2002, nothing to modify.  All metal as well, up to the introduction of the 1.8L 320i in 1980 when they went to the disposable plastic and aluminum version.

Earl

74 02Lux

02 M roadster

72 Volvo 1800ES

Edited by Emyers

74 02Lux

15 M235i

72 Volvo 1800ES

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- George Orwell

When mine started leaking I bought a good used one from a FAQ member for 90. Had it pressure and flow tested and it passed so I installed it. That was 3 years ago. I also got a free radiator from a FAQ member cleaning out his garage and the plan is to go with a 3 core upgrade when the time comes.

1976 BMW 2002 Fjord Blue Ireland Stage II • Bilstein Sports • Ireland Headers • Weber 38 • 292 Cam • 9.5:1 Pistons • 123Tune Bluetooth 15" BBS

2018 BMW M550i X-Drive

1964 Volvo Amazon Wagon
http://www.project2002.com

Harry  Please report back after install. I know the fittings are a separate system and will not induce a leak if not capped but my understanding is they impede installation unless cut off. While I havent installed one of the spectra radiators myself Ive sold a bunch of them and have had conversations with customers installing them. I THOUGHT I knew what I was talking about but if those fittings do not have to be removed that would be useful information for me to relay to customers

Will do, Steve. Didn't know you sold these!

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290

I have used that Spectra all- metal E21 rad too.  It works fine.  It's a bit lightweight, but it

cooled very well for as little as it cost.

The Pinto rad from the early Pinto was the 'original' update from the early '70's and it

works well.  BUT you have to modify the car, and it is a lot harder to remove later if you

want to.  The E21 rad takes a few reversible mods, and works equally well.

I run the plastic late E21 rad and hoses in everything now, and that seems to

be quick, easy and very reliable, even a race car.

t

ps, don't use the trans cooler as an oil cooler- it's not made for 100psi+ oil at startup,

and it is too small to flow enough anyway.  Even though it's a good idea otherwise-

it actually WARMS the oil at first, which is a very good thing indeed.

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

ps, don't use the trans cooler as an oil cooler- it's not made for 100psi+ oil at startup,

and it is too small to flow enough anyway.  Even though it's a good idea otherwise-

it actually WARMS the oil at first, which is a very good thing indeed.

Thanks Toby. 

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

RE: The bottom fittings on the 320i radiator, I wondered about them interfering with the fit too, concerned about the possibility that the fittings would make the radiator sit up too high.   I trial fit it without the hoses attached and it seemed to be ok, and then fit it it may sit slightly higher but no problems, and maybe that blocks some of the radiator bypass airflow and helps cooling? just speculation, but it sure cools the engine well.

Lincoln, NE

74 2002

68 Triumph TR250

My 75 is an automatic and running warmer than I like (between 1 and 2 o'clock). Have been contemplating what to install. This may be the answer. Any thoughts on hoses or fitment to an auto trans? 

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

Here's how mine looks mounted in the car. It sits higher than the original radiator but there's enough clearance between the cap and the hood. I had to drill two holes on the battery side to mount it since it's wider than the original. Other than that, it fit just fine. 

On the photos, I'm going to reverse the bolts so that the install is cleaner looking. But I'm very happy with the result and the price. 

post-41156-0-35678500-1405003490_thumb.j

post-41156-0-95281600-1405003501_thumb.j

post-41156-0-87147500-1405003509_thumb.j

post-41156-0-17496300-1405003520_thumb.j

mike tunney

My 75 is an automatic and running warmer than I like (between 1 and 2 o'clock). Have been contemplating what to install. This may be the answer. Any thoughts on hoses or fitment to an auto trans? 

autobon7, I've the same car as You & had the same problem. Check your thermostat… mine had failed so I replaced with a new one as well as having my rad serviced couple weeks ago… all is good now, running much cooler in the Sacramento heat.

autobon7, I've the same car as You & had the same problem. Check your thermostat… mine had failed so I replaced with a new one as well as having my rad serviced couple weeks ago… all is good now, running much cooler in the Sacramento heat.

New thermostat last year and didn't change much if any.

1995 Toyota Landcruiser

1975 2002A

1989 Dodge Raider (sold)

1974 Toyota Landcruiser (very sadly sold)

1994 BMW 530i (sold)

1992 BMW 325i (sold)

1970 2002 auto sunroof (sold)

I received my radiator today. Fast shipping to P.R. via UPS Air for free!

I thought the auto tranny cooling fittings were larger. It looks like they will not be an issue.

I'll get installed this weekend if I can find the Sunbird hose locally and will post results.

post-32053-0-09721100-1405041453_thumb.j

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290