• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CUP HOLDER SOLUTIONS?

mo's72tii

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Grover,

just a quick question about your cup holder.

I came across a similar one and was wondering how you secured it in your console so it doesn't move?

Also, is there a piece of trim that goes around the perimeter of the opening? was that from Audi as well?

thanks.

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido

• 2 years later...

I should credit Sett in Santa Rosa for this idea since he had something similar, but here is what I came up with this weekend. I'm positive that someone else could have finished this off a whole lot better than I did or take it up 15 notches, but it was dirt cheap and looks good for the first attempt. I basically picked up two 3.5 inch diameter PVC pipes for $1 each, used 3M spray glue to attach black headliner foam inside and black vinyl to the outside (<$2), and then bolted them together. They fit almost perfectly in the long console and they are removable with not alterations to the car. Total costs of less than $4.

I wish I had taken more time/care to cut and glue the vinyl on and also wish I had cut an angle on the back side of it so that I had better access behind it... maybe next time.

post-9429-1366766853336_thumb.jpg

post-9429-13667668534487_thumb.jpg

post-9429-13667668535343_thumb.jpg

• Thanks 1

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

OK after driving into the office with the car today, I'll need to do a few small modifications that I hope wont butcher it any worse than it already looks. The vinyl is a little too tacky, which is great for keeping paper coffee cups in place, but not for getting the cup out on the fly, so I might need to trim them back a bit. Also, I think I might be able to shorten the PVC pipes down from 3.25 inches to 2.5.

Again there are way more integrated/glamorous solutions posted here than this one, but it does seem to work well, it's cheap and and no modifications required to the car (aka, temporary option).

1974 2002 Malaga tii (Maggie): Work in progress, daily driver

• 4 months later...

Hi there

I too wanted cup-holders as part of my '71 reclamation.  This is what I settled on.  It is from Santana Interiors and is CNC'd from aluminum.  I find it very slick and compact, and certainly easy to install.  Santana was great to deal with and provide a lifetime warranty.  Pictures below. 

Regards

post-38979-0-57008700-1369603254_thumb.j

post-38979-0-32987900-1369603289_thumb.j

post-38979-0-75661100-1369603314_thumb.j

post-38979-0-52028900-1369603332_thumb.j

post-38979-0-36410700-1369603347_thumb.j

Edited by Bill Patterson
  • Like 1

'73 Bavaria, '80 Land Rover Series 2a, '71 2002, '69 2002, '74 3.0s

• 4 years later...

Freshening up an old topic here, to shamelessly plug a product:  I would like to introduce a factory looking & fitting part that I recently developed and am now producing. It is a direct replacement for the entire stock center section, accommodates two standard sized beverage containers and does not interfere with any of the controls or driver comfort. Uses existing hardware and is designed to function as stock, with flange to install factory or aftermarket shift boot. 

Available at www.kooglewerks.com 

IMG_2686.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2696.JPG

IMG_2697.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steve k. said:

one for an automatic?

That's why people drive automatics. So they can hold a coffee in their gear stick hand. ;)

• Haha 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/