• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pictures and report on the drive yesterday to Pinacles (long

dubois

Just a beautiful day, we had good turn out. The drive to 25 was amazing, the scenery was stunning. It was really a blast.

However, the unthinkable happened about a mile short of the park. One of our drivers lost it in a turn, and sustained minor injuries (he was released the same afternoon), the car didn't fair that well, it had to be towed to Hollister.

I am withholding the identity of the driver and we ask everybody not to post pictures of his car - that would be my wishes if something similar happens. I would really be too upset to share - as I am sure he is now.

I debated posting about the event until this morning, because like the other drivers in the group, I was really in shock, as we llost the desire to continue our drive, and really started second guessing everything.

The other reason I debated posting is to avoid the "holy inquisition" and group judgement. This morning I realized that comes with the territory, and as painful as it will be, sooner or later I have to deal with it.

We are a tight knit group, and we need to share the good and the bad. I talked to the driver at the hospital yesterday. He was in good spirits, already thinking about his new journey with his 2002. I am sure, he will receive much support from this group in this endeavor.

I have one selfish request, please do not email me at my house.

We should all know the potential risks of driving, that is probably the main reason for posting. Even a drive to Home Depot is not without risk. It could happen to any of us, and it could have the potential to turn out a lot worse.

Today, I ask myself: would I do that drive again: the answer YES! These are the things that despite of the risk, at least in my opinion, makes you live a richer life.

DSC_4163

FAQ Member # 91

I agree 100% with Michael. We do have to deal with loss from time to time and the risks of driving our cherished classics is the same whether we are driving to the store, taking to the track for a race, HPDE or anything in between.

When a race car gets in an accident at the track the moment it is brought back to the team's pits it is covered so that no one has to see or be reminded of what can happen out there. One small miscalculation, a misjudged turn to put one wheel off and it could have been any one of us. I feel this is one of those instances. No one here needs to be reminded of what can happen to our beloved cars out there. It should be left to the owner of the car to post or comment on any events surrounding the accident. The owner is not a regular here on the FAQ.

It was a single car accident and no person was seriously injured. Although it was not my own car I have known the owner most of my life as a family friend and feel a close connection to his car nearly as I would my own Father's 2002Tii.

Note, the car that did not drive home yesterday is not easily seen in any of these photos posted here by Michael or me.

Here are my "happy" photos from yesterdays Pinnacles Hollister drive.

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/tjones02_bucket/Pinnacles%20Hollister%2009/?albumview=grid

DSCF3262.jpg

DSCF3256.jpg

DSCF3269.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

It was a fun drive, even with events that transpired... It for sure could have been better, but It also could have been much, much worse. He was lucky to walk away from that...

MJ

75 2002

76 2002

71 F250 camper special

I agree. It was a good drive and a beautiful day. Unfortunate things do happen and what was reassuring to me was how everyone pulled together to take care of the details and support both driver and car. It was a pleasure to meet the group and I'm sure I'll see you all on another saturday morning drive.

post-2897-13667609538386_thumb.jpg

post-2897-13667609540126_thumb.jpg

post-2897-1366760954102_thumb.jpg

post-2897-13667609542075_thumb.jpg

post-2897-136676095432_thumb.jpg

76' Fjord- orig. owner
Hada 85' 318i - but now it's EFI is in my 02"  :wacko:

Thank you again to Michael for putting on this drive. They really were great driving roads. Like others have said, these things happen, and I'm glad everybody was ok. Great meeting everybody.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

'72 - 2533095 ex-auto, not stock

'76 - 2374191 PNO - boo, CA SMOG

I love the photo at the gas station of the person trying to fill up the Colorado car without spilling gas all over it. Classic California fill up.

lol i didnt know people were taking pics already at that point! i'm still learning how to fill it up =c)

1970 02 Colorado Orange(sold)

1969 Charmonix 1600-2

Hey Michael --

How do u like those 13's now?

I know the tires stick ok, but how do you compare the feel, etc.?

Forward! Into the past!

Cheers,

Ray

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

Michael

Don't take it personally. You organised the drive. You didn't drive anyone's car but yours.

I had an off (highside) when on a BMW motorcycle run on my K100RS and nearly creamed a fellow biker. We discussed it after and both agreed that, in life, sh+t happens and we've got to get over it and move on.

Your efforts in all things are appreciated and you should take pride/enjoyment from it all. Let me know if you need cheering up and I'll send another bottle from Oz!!

Regards

Alan in Oz

Who brought the sweet Manila 1600 with black plates to the drive? I was in the bay area this weekend to swaping out cars with my daughter. No she is not going to get my tii. I was driving back home yesterday and I passed that car (or one that looks just lke it) on the 101 about 10 miles S of King City. I was in my Euro spec E28 and gave them a thumbs up. Sweet looking 1600.

The accident report sucks but the main thing is, the driver is OK. 02's can be replaced, people can't. It's time to make lemonade out of lemons. If the car is indeed truly totaled, part it out or transfer the parts to a new shell. On one of Pierre's drives he organized on SH 33 in Ventura county last year, Jack totaled his 95 M3 (he was OK). Literally before the dust settled, people were making dibs on what parts they wanted off the car. He'll have no problem parting out the 02 but hopefully he can find an 02 that he can transfer the parts from his wrecked 02 in to.

Been there, done that. Years ago an elderly driver ran a stop light and totaled my former 74 2002. I transferred the parts into a shell that I had found.

G-Man

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Who brought the sweet Manila 1600 with black plates to the drive? I was in the bay area this weekend to swaping out cars with my daughter. No she is not going to get my tii. I was driving back home yesterday and I passed that car (or one that looks just lke it) on the 101 about 10 miles S of King City. I was in my Euro spec E28 and gave them a thumbs up. Sweet looking 1600.

G-Man

The Florida 1600 that came on the drive with us is Jeff Goss (BMW_Jeff) you'll see his car at the BMW Concours Friday before Monterey AND at Laguna for the Festorics/Historics on Saturday the 15th. If you saw a 1600 only 20 miles north of King City that had to be another car. Jeff headed north from Hwy 25 and 101 near Gilroy.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/p,624960

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Guest Anonymous

Hi—

I want to again thank those of you on the Pinnacles drive last Saturday (25 July), since some of you may not get the Topica e-mails for BayArea 02. I really appreciate your support for both me and my car following my indiscretion that ruined the drive for all of us. Michael in particular, as a true gentleman and friend, provided a wealth of assistance and continues to give gentle encouragement as I work with Safeco Insurance (I’m still friendly with them, perhaps partly because they are taking their time to develop a financial analysis). I appreciate all of the searching at the scene to retrieve personal effects like glasses, insulin, jacket, etc. and for a long list of other things that I was not aware of.

Physically I feel pretty good right now, with the scrapes healing properly (none very deep) and the muscles flexing well enough that I can do about anything I want that is reasonable (but they still stiffen a bit during sleep). I give my car, which I purchased 36 years ago this month at the dealer in Long Beach, high credit for preserving me well throughout this incident.

Finally, I need to say that I enjoyed the trip very much before my fateful moment. When we (my car and me) recover; I hope we try it again sometime so I can see the East side of the Pinnacles. I would be delighted to enjoy this trip with each of you who were there last Saturday!

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga—indisposed