• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I love driving my 02, but

Blunt,

Please not in the Colorado Dream Machine....................No Happy Hummer I hope.

yes, one time locally in my colorado car by an elderly woman and one time in bondo carls 72 in the middle of the nevada desert in some tiny little dirt town

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

If you want to drive a 2002 that doesn't get a lot of attention, find a sahara 02. I drive it a few times a week and rarely get asked about it. Sahara or Nevada has to be an 02 stealth color. My 70 E3 2800 in granada red is a different story...

G-Man

74 2002tii

70 2800 (Euro spec)

81 528i (Euro spec)

85 525e (Euro spec, oldest daughters DD)

86 325e (youngest daughters DD)

89 325i (RIP)

91 318i

91 318is (new project)

96 4Runner (parts hauler)

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

My new to me Malaga is low key.Less attention in general.And this is Paul Wegweisers old 02ti stroker,lWeber 45s loud and fast with several upgrades following Pauls work.It's been a fun 2 mos.or so with the little beast.

jgm

1973 Malaga "ti"2.3 stroker,dual 45s,lots of Alpina content13x6 Superlites bilsteins,Petri Sport ,GTS Seats,Coco Mats,Old Man Style "Patina"....but the old Emily is Fast.

2010 GTI 200 H.P.,dsg ,18"wheels etc.modern daily driver.

G-Man is right about Sahara, they've gotta know what the car is 1st to give a thumbs-up. The Sahara paint is not what catches their attention. AND -- many people don't "get" the connection btwn. the iconic grill on the '02 & the various twin kidneys on newer BMW's. ("what kind of car is that??" DUH)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

I think the "what year is it?" question is only used to open the conversation. But, it is used 90% of the time. Try driving an Inka 1802 Touring, they are always confused. I do enjoy the attention, it is a great way to meet people. These cars are very approachable, getting "thumbs-up" and smiles from all genders and generations.

You do have to allow a little more time to run out to the store, though. Alway lots of questions, starting with "What year is it??"

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

the car's Sahara, but I still get a lot of thumbs up, "what year is it" and even "what make is it?" Guess the Roundels are too small. And of course the year vs model 2002...

But I don't mind; I love to talk about my '02s, and feel sorry for those folks who will never experience the fun of one...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I agree with the original post - it seems like the '02 is drawing more attention as time goes on. I supposed when I was a kid in the '70s, seeing a car from the 1940s would have stuck out as well.

I've been driving my 02 more lately, and it is getting out of hand how many people drive up next to me on the freeway to "talk", or chat at the gas station. It always starts with the dreaded "what year is that" question. Mine is Verona, so it's probably not as bad as some colors for drawing attention, but it's far from stealthy.

I've noticed that the cleaner the car is, the more people notice it. It is all dirty from a rainstorm I got stuck in, so it's kind of incognito right now.

Nice day today, so I'm driving it to work. We'll see what happens.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI