• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What audio system do you have in your 02?

jrhone

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

simple set-up, nice quality. I've done too many systems & can't get motivated to finish this one. It's last on the list. Least important part of the car. I turn it off most of the time so I can listen to the motor.

Pioneer head unit that allows for XM and/or an iPod connection. I got black so it blends in more, and looked for as large of a round Volume knob as I could find. I wired the XM antenna (trunk lid) but have yet to install the boxes.

Boston Acoustics Pro Series 5.2's (5" woofer w/ a spacer) in the front doors and 6.2's in the rear deck. I only got as far as installing the mid-bass drivers in the rear, and they aren't connected yet. Have to install the tweeters & cross-overs. (easiest part)

I was planning on keeping it low power, using the head unit amplification, but I wired for an amp to mount to the rear of the back seat. (in trunk) Putting your amp UNDER the back seat can be devastating to the amp. (amps need air to stay cool, or they can cook over time)

I would never put a sub-woofer in this car. Too much added weight, and not enough room. Plus, I don't want to rattle it apart.

post-1748-13667608943039_thumb.jpg

post-1748-13667608943913_thumb.jpg

post-1748-13667608944754_thumb.jpg

1976 2002 Custom Dk Blue w/ Pearl

1975 2002A Sahara (sold Feb 2008)

SiteNamecopy.jpg

Although I have not used this system, a friend of mine with a 73 Opel GT has had a good experience with a Retrosound Model One. It looks "retro" and has the same two knob setup as the old-school Blaupunkt / Becker options.

Did I mention Its mind-blowingly cool looking?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_068RETRO1C/Retrosound-Model-One-C.html?showAll=N&c=3

(From Crutchfield.com)

Daniel Shor

Bethesda, MD

'74 2002 "Charlotte"

Half as old as my first car and I wouldn't have it any other way.

LOL

I guess I should have just have to pull one of my other 5 BMWs out of the garage when I wanted to listen to music. How stupid of me to throw $500 at a basic system when I could have just pulled my Z8, Z1 or 735 out of the garage!

I was not insinuating that you were stupid. I apologize if you misunderstood me.

I do realize that most people don't own a dozen or so cars. I am a little on the excessive side in that department. But most people who drive 2002s have another more modern daily driver, which can also be used to listen to music.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

exactly - no electronincs is the way you should keep it for many reasons

snake-0-wires is bad

added electrical draw is bad

added weight is bad

your natural 02 motor/exhaust noise is good

bluetooth, iPod, other'stuff' is bad

too many people here have reported

major collision stories with 02's - having

your attention focused on such devices, in a

nice bare vintage car just adds to your

chances for disaster

PLUS+ it just adds more reasons for bums to break

your windows and other nasty damage when they

look in your windows and see all that nice new

high-powered technology

closed mind = bad

Don't know about you CD, but I can manage to listen to music and drive at the same time, all without compromising my safety. Guess it's a euro thing ;-)

In my first Tii I cut off the face of a classic seventies stereo that folded down to reveal a decent head unit behind. No voleurs in their right mind steal a 30 year old AM radio - and if you've got nothing to nick then why lock your doors and risk a broken window?

Plus it needn't weigh much more than a decent lunch - talking of which...

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

I was not insinuating that you were stupid. I apologize if you misunderstood me.

I do realize that most people don't own a dozen or so cars. I am a little on the excessive side in that department. But most people who drive 2002s have another more modern daily driver, which can also be used to listen to music.

No worries Pierre, I was just picking a fight.

My 2002 is my modern daily driver though! To answer the original question I am running a pionner deck with an USB connection to my 250 G of music on a portable hard drive hooked up to infnity Kappas in the rear deck and sides of the console. (that was a long sentance) I think I get great sound and an almost unlimited selection of music for about $450 plus the $100 hard drive I already owned.

www.VintageAutobahn.com - BMW Parts & Vehicle Import

Alpine head unit with iPOD connector

Extant 404 amp.

2 - JL dual cone 8" subs under the rear seat delete

8" seperates in Bill Williams PRO LINE kick panels

9" Kenwood coaxials in the rear seat delete.

Stereo6.jpg

Rearseatpanels2.jpg

Consoleinstalled6.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

If had had the money I would do a nice system, but I'm a poor college student so Im stuck with:

On Sale $60 Best Buy JCV headunit with ipod connector

Pep Boys Kenwood speakers 6x9 rear, 5.5 in the front

All in all it sound ok, but nothing worth posting pictures of.

100 Thumbs up to Pikachus system Bill! It's always good to see a Bill Williams Orginal.

-Zac

Zac Cardinal

1972 2002tii's Blog

1976 2002 "Margie"s blog

IMG_2146copy.jpg

Old School Becker Europa II with the ipod cable for my iTouch.

I have a Europa Mono--did you order the DIN Ipod cable from Becker Classic or somewhere else, I emailed them a few months ago and didn't hear back, then I forgot about it. Thanks.

I didn't get it from Becker I bought it from some German guy.

ebay item

They used to cost $50.00 now they want $89.00.

i bought the cheapest head unit with 3 preouts that i could find. I run 4.5" upfront in the kick panels up front. I have 6 inch shallow mounts i was going to install in my door panels but i ended up buying new door panels so they are staying in one piece. I run 6x9's in the rear parcel shelf and a 10" in a panel where the rear seat should be. I fiberglassed under the rear seat and sealed it against the board so the sub is in a sealed box. all this is powered by a mb quart 5 channel 1000 watt amp. I purchased everything off ebay for about 50% off msrp.

sorry about the shitty photos but heres an idea

DSC_0839.jpg

DSC_0847.jpg

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on