• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALPINA 2002

Guest Anonymous

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous
Apparently he doesn't not understand copyright.

The photo was given to me by them [Alpina] when they confirmed that I was in possession of the same car. The internet is somewhat all about "piracy" anyway - don't really care about that. In fact I have a few photo's that have other's copyright's on them as well, however I don't use them commercially in any way, shape or form. When it comes to this subject most folks just don't care (or maybe aren't aware) that is of course until they end up in court (and I am not suggesting that of course). Just surprised to see it pop up there. If he were selling posters or some such that he made from that photo we would be having a discussion for sure.

Your knowledge of copyright is questionable too. You admit not having taken the picture and it is clear you did not contract to have the picture taken (work for hire). Do you own the original negative? Is your "original" the only original, or one of many? You may have received a copy to which you may be able to control duplication rights, of the copy you own. Yet, that may or may not be true if you never had control over the original image, from which your image was derived - in any form. If Alpina decides to start selling or licensing that image, are you going to complain and discuss the matter with them?

The copyright notice has little practical meaning since anyone can place that mark there. You may think you own your images, but maybe, just maybe, someone else has an interest superior to yours.

Nice picture though.

i think it would be a neat gimmick if you were to reenact that photo by posing with some of your friends, in updated clothes, with your car, when it is finished.

i'll assume you are probably middle-aged, maybe balding, possibly carrying a couple more pounds than you'd like. the vintage Addidas sneakers could be exchanged for something like Nike's or New Balance. the sandals could be exchanged for those plasticy trendy ones i've seen.

just a suggestion...

the two photos posted side by side might be neat. i digress.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Guest Anonymous

Never claimed to be a copyright expert, although I know a bit about the subject. And as I also suggested I have a number of photo's taken by others, the vintage ALPINA photo's included. I had (and I say had) those photo's up where folks could look at them and enjoy them, ALPINA shared them with me and I thought they were/are pretty cool. Most of them had never been previously published (at least to my knowledge). Just happy to spark some interesting chatter other than the usual....."will pinto pistons work in my M10" or some other such.

Guest Anonymous

really sounds like you were bitching about a photo they gave to you of your car was posted on their website and you wanted to bitch about it.. honestly sounds crotchety and ungrateful.

Guest Anonymous
Never claimed to be a copyright expert, although I know a bit about the subject. And as I also suggested I have a number of photo's taken by others, the vintage ALPINA photo's included. I had (and I say had) those photo's up where folks could look at them and enjoy them, ALPINA shared them with me and I thought they were/are pretty cool. Most of them had never been previously published (at least to my knowledge). Just happy to spark some interesting chatter other than the usual....."will pinto pistons work in my M10" or some other such.

I am not advocating, nor would I advocate, that anyone has the right to commercially exploit another's protected rights, including yours or anyone else who claims the original right to the image. But your comments suggest a nominal understanding of the subject.

Your possession of an image does not fully establish your right to control exploitation of that image. Unless Alpine had the original image from which your image was copied or Alpine owned the original copyright - common law or otherwise, you did not automatically gain the right to police purported infringement claims, except in behalf of the holder of that privilege. The value of your image may be diluted by other's exploitation of it, but your claim would be with whomever you gained such a privilege and dependent upon any agreement you had with them.

From your statements, you had no understanding with Alpine and it is doubtful Alpine ever gave it a thought. In fact, it sounds like you are even assuming Alpine owned any copyright to the image while it may have been actually owned by the photographer. For all I know, F1 will reverberate and claim he took the original photograph. LOL

Guest Anonymous

I see earthshoes and adidas. Well maybe not earthshoes, but the sandals remind me of them. I have heard Jim Henson and Robert Plant both got their starts working in pit crews. How Jim Henson could make those wrenches come alive to Robert Plant's singing! I don't think they won a lot of races.

Guest Anonymous

This picture was obviously cropped. Off to one side the original has CD(Sorry he sold it) sitting on his one-lunger with his balaclava on covering his best traffic cop expression. On the other side is a very young MikeS posing with his international learner's permit for F1 and his brownie. lol

I recently came across a BMW factory poster for the E30 318is. it was on the wall at an auto repair shop. I asked to borrow it and took it to a digital color lab to scan and retouch.

I now have a scan of it on disc and my pocketbook is $100 lighter.

I've no intention of doing anything with it. A full size reproduction costs $55 and I know of no one other than myself who's interested in coughing up that much money for an old car poster.

Besides, I think BMWNA might frown on the practice.

FWIW, there will be no coffee mugs, tote bags or t-shirts, either.

I've had two very bad experiences with photos I've taken being appropriated for commercial use. One was with "Assfly" and the other was merely "borrowed". I requested for them to remove these images and they did.

As an artist and designer, I do not post my images on the web and request in my emails that the addressee use them only with permission. They're just two clicks from being "appropriated."

Regarding the ALPINA image. I'm glad you share these rare documents. It is unfortunate that others see them as part of the public domain.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

As an artist and designer, I do not post my images on the web and request in my emails that the addressee use them only with permission. They're just two clicks from being "appropriated."

Regarding the ALPINA image. I'm glad you share these rare documents. It is unfortunate that others see them as part of the public domain.

Delia

True art is free.