• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

25mpg @ 70mph

Beaner7102

Spring has really hit here in Oz. The weather was perfect for a nice drive on the weekend. After returning home after a 300 mile trip I was surprised I made it home on the one tank. The last 15 miles the fuel light was on - I don’t normally get much more than 250 miles from a tank.

Anyway 308 miles - on the one tank and most of the drive was at 70mph.

Car is stock with single Solex, 4 speed gearbox and 3.9 diff. I don’t know what the revs were (tacho is dead) but I know I need to fit the 5 speed that’s sitting in the shed. So it can only get better.

Just thought I'd share. Beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

That's pretty bloody good for a such an old car - save the planet, drive old cars!

Nick, you're not kidding. With my megasquirted 02, I plan on getting the car running to 16-17:1 air/fuel ratio during cruise conditions. Problem with my 3.90 LSD is that light load is about 90kph.. Need to put a 5-speed and 3.64 in.

Currently with a pretty worn out engine (burns a liter oil per 100km), driving highway at about 100-130kph Averaging about 108 (according to gps), I got

550km per tank...

if the 02 has a 50 liter tank then thats 9L/100km on a worn engine with no dyno tuning.

My plan is now to fit 4 EGT sensors, rebuild the engine and do a dyno day. Could get it mapped in where it can run safely lean during cruise and do its thing for accell and WOT.

Beats buying a new car for just the mileage.

and a jam-packed trunk, I had 30.7 and 31.4 mpg tankfuls on the highway at a pretty steady 70mph. Even had 26 mpg on the tank that had 8 autocross runs. That's with a (nearly) stock engine, 2 bbl Weber, 9.5 pistons), a 5 speed and a 3.64 diff. Nearly my all time 2002 mileage record (that was 33 mpg on the 69 when it was new).

The 5 speed makes a significant difference--800 rpm drop from 4th at a give speed.

What caught my eye--low fuel warning light? Was that fitted on Aussie (or other Euro) 2002s? That would be a nice feature, as US cars don't have that...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

Over the weekend, traveled to the BavAuto Show n' Shine (465 miles round trip) in Portsmouth NH with a full trunk, no passangers, 5-speed, OE cam and pistons, 38/38 carb and 3.64 diff, averaging 65 mph with probably 30 miles in town driving and got 26.3 mpg's. Great ride.

Roger

'72 Malaga

What's sad about all this is that even though my car is tuned for the track, if I really take it easy, it gets a lot better gas mileage than my E38. However, the DMV will continue to send me a coupon every year asking me to give them my old car for 800 bucks so they can crush it in the name of the environment. Wow, a whole 800 bucks...

-=Scott=-

My Short Bus

rotate.php

1971 2002 - "William Grover-Williams" - Track/Weekend Car VIN 2579197

1998 740iL E38 - "Blau" - Daily Driver

http://gallery.xfiler.com

pistons, Schrick 285, 38/38 Weber, 5 speed, 3.64, 185/70x13's) - will try to remember to get mileage numbers on the trip to LA and back this weekend.

Will be an interesting mix of driving (starting with freeway, then a 2 lane / steep climb up over the Sierras via Tioga Pass, fairly high-speed 2 lane on 395 down the Owens Valley, out across the high desert on 14, I-5 into LA, then up 101, across Pacheaco Pass to I-5 and home on Saturday evening / Sunday / Monday.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

What caught my eye--low fuel warning light? Was that fitted on Aussie (or other Euro) 2002s? That would be a nice feature, as US cars don't have that...

mike

Wow, learn something new every day. Its especially helpful when the needle gets stuck and the light is on but it says you have a full tank and your running on fumes!

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

hey those with good mileage and weber 32/36's... how do you have them set up?

long story short... a couple years ago i bought new carb and set up per CD's prescription... the car has been tuned and then re-tuned by an 02 professional... so it's running as best as it can... the carb is dialed in and adjusted per the weber instructions (and by the pro) and I still get like really BAD mileage... even driving like a granny. I was going to go back to stock jetting OR use carl nelson's recommendations.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

How come everybody gets good mileage but me? I was getting 18-21 mpg at 70+ mph on the 101 in August. I also get about 12 in the city.

:(. Congratulations though!

me too!

I just bought my 1600 with a '73 M10 and dual barrel weber, and it looks like I get no better than 15mpg!

Anybody have any tuning tips for this noob?

I have a pretty strong gasoline smell after some hard runs, is that normal? Maybe I'm running too rich?

Just finished calculating mileage over 1500 miles up to Vermont and back, including about a tank of driving in the mountains around there. Overall average was 29.1 mpg running an indicated 65-75 on the Interstates. Calculating from mile-markers over 100 miles, I think my odometer is about 5 percent fast, which still works out to 27.6 mpg overall. Best tank of the trip was an amazing 34.0 mpg, but the previous tank may have been slightly over-filled.

Oh, early '71, untouched 140k-mile engine that doesn't burn oil, stock 1-barrel Solex, Crane XR-700, 5-speed, 3.64.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler