• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

is it possible to swap cams without removing head

jerry

from engine and while it's in the engine bay?

i have a cam removal tool from 2002haus i bought 2nd hand, if that helps.

if not, how far do i have to go?

i'd like to try out a different profile i have on hand.

thanks

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

Yes, I have also seen it done with my own two eyes, twice. Sean Casey of Casey Motorsports (link below) has the factory head tool set and regularly changes camshafts on '02s and other M10 motored bimmers w/o removing the head.

It is certainly possible to do a cam swap with the 2002Haus/Mason Engineering tool.

Here's a few links to other 2002FAQ discussions on this subject.

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,302020/highlight,camshaft/

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,295707/highlight,camshaft/

Here's a pic of a fresh cam in the head of our 24hours of LeMons '76 2002 "Stella" Performed by team Autobahn Society Racing member Sean Casey earlier this year.

2276823908_f038069aea_o.jpg

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

I racer I saw drilled holes in his firewall so he could drive out the rocker rods to replace broken rockers without removing the head.

Yeah, that won't work. THe head bolts lock the rocker pivot rods into

place- you have to remove the bolts before the rods will come out.

It does work on an M20, though.

Yes, you can pull the cam without pulling the head, but it's

a lot of work. We've replaced a rocker in 3 hours from 'oh, shit'

to retorque, and while it's not fun, it's not a big job to

pull the head. You leave the carbs on, fer sher! And you get better

as you do it more.

Just like clutches

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous
with the cam tool you can, you have to remove your radiator, fan front cover, and center grill. it takes at least 3 hours to do it.

I saw a cam changed without removing the head. BUT the mechanic used a hoist to lift and tilt the engine to clear the radiator and front bulkhead just enough. He knew what he was doing, but it was a tremendous amount of work to disconnect mounts and exhaust etc. I remember thinking the mechanic probably changes oil via the valve cover by turning the entire car upside down, but his cape might get soiled.

from engine and while it's in the engine bay?

i have a cam removal tool from 2002haus i bought 2nd hand, if that helps.

if not, how far do i have to go?

i'd like to try out a different profile i have on hand.

thanks

Jerry,

Matt from Ronin Autowerks in Fullerton (the shop doing my conversion) confirmed a few weeks ago that yes it can be done with the right tool.

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

shafts. So yes, you can get a stock cam out.

In my experience, a 292 cam cannot be inserted without pulling the rocker shafts. I can't vouch for any other profile.

IMHO, it is easy to pull the head. Once you've done it a couple times, you can R&R that sucker in less than 2 hours

So pull the head, swap the cam and get on with life

John N

Once at Sean Casey's recently, and once at Bill Arnold's-not-so-recently.

So, that being said, two fine mechanics doing the un-doable is not so unremarkable is it?

Of course, your mileage may vary. You will need to organize the rockers and springs so as not to mix them up, you won't want that. Additionally, I hope for your sake that the rocker shafts don't have steps worn into them or any significant rust or koking on them.

What's the worst that can happen, you'd have to remove the head? I say screw those who say it can't be done and just go for it.

Let us know how it goes.

Make it different... or just do it differently

Bill in Petaluma, CA

1969 1600 supercharged m20 in progress

1970 2002 RIP -- crashed then quartered

1971 2002 M20/02 RIP -- nothing but pieces now

1972 2002 gone, but not missed POS