• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

has any one "upgraded" their ventilation system

dubois

Then the knob on the dash is labeled as fog light instead of for fan speed.

I had considered doing that upgrade on my roundie, but the mounting setup or holes for the slider brackets aren't the same, and I didn't want to drill more holes have cut up the metal under my dash. I was planning on making the fan speed location a fog light knob. But looking at it now, I kind of like keeping the quirky earlier setup. I love my turn signal on the right, always keeps me thnking about my '02 whenever I'm in any other car (that's not a roundie ;-)

'71 colorado 2002

I am looking at later models, I think 73 and up and they have a provision for vent off and on (a second slide lever on the right side of the steering wheel). My 72 only has one (heat on/off).

I've been looking into E21 or E30 heaterboxes for my 74... Plans are to remove the dash eventually and somehow rig up a ventilation system without the dash in place that doesn't look horrible. I like the newer style blower motors as I feel like they are less expensive, more available and put out more power but I don't think they fit in the same firewall hole pattern - or else someone would have already done the upgrade by now.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

I am looking at later models, I think 73 and up and they have a provision for vent off and on (a second slide lever on the right side of the steering wheel). My 72 only has one (heat on/off).

I've been looking into E21 or E30 heaterboxes for my 74... Plans are to remove the dash eventually and somehow rig up a ventilation system without the dash in place that doesn't look horrible. I like the newer style blower motors as I feel like they are less expensive, more available and put out more power but I don't think they fit in the same firewall hole pattern - or else someone would have already done the upgrade by now.

sir winston, you crack me up. i mean this in a positive light hearted manner.

there isnt one piece on the 02 you havent thought about redesigning or reinventing. i admire your tenacity and ambition.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

I did have more pics but seem to have "missplaced" them.

It looks good with the doors closed, but with the doors open, you can see that the dash protrudes into the door opening. Live-able but some may not like.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Yup, that's an E21 dash. There are a few '02s running around with 320 interiors in them, not just seats and upholstered panels, but with the dash too. I have never seen one, in person, though.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

The "upgrade" in 1973 was to just add another lever. Much like the other original levers, it doesn't do much of anything.

If you want REAL ventilation, try opening up the forward vent windows to suck in the air at 60mph. Just don't have all your rally directions & maps lying on the dash. "Auntie Em! Auntie Em!"

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

there with a white '02 that had not only a 320 dash, but the steering and hanging pedals. He said the dash fitted almost perfectly, even with the windshield contour, and he plumbed the vents to work.

Rigging the hanging pedals wasn't that big a deal, using the brackets cut from an E21 and welded into his '02. No more rusted pedal buckets!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

sir winston, you crack me up. i mean this in a positive light hearted manner.

there isnt one piece on the 02 you havent thought about redesigning or reinventing. i admire your tenacity and ambition.

Blunt you're 100% right... But I do have a thing for these little cars and I'd never hurt a good one. My newly acquired 71 will be restored to stock and used as a pleasure only vehicle. My 74 is a completely different story. It's been hit in the front and rear - twice each, the floors are now fiberglassed because they were rusted out... i bought the outer rockers from you for a reason...

I don't feel bad taking an 02 that would be good for only the pick & pull and destined for the crusher and doing whatever for it. I have TONS of crazy ideas and it's all based on the fact that I feel as though anything can be made stronger, lighter and faster. If I had it my way I'd completely dissasemble an 02 and rebuild every part in Carbon Fiber. All modified and stuff...

Hey Blunt I was thinking... If I were to actually drive an 02 that's not a total POS I'd probably not even need to modify/upgrade the heater right? I mean my problem right now is that the windows fog up and it's cold - but I've got tears in my headliner which are like having cold vents on my head, holes in the floors, window gaskets, window frames (front & rear) rockers, doors don't seal properly & there's your occasional hole in the firewall - rust or otherwise...

So with that said - heaterbox wise should I focus on the car and returning it to functional conditon? Or phrased another way - does the OE heaterbox work for anyone with a decent year round DD? Is that an oxymoron???

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

'02 heaters are mostly ok. I've run my '76 in weather down to -10F. The most important thing is to ditch that cool for summer 71C thermostat for a stock 80C (75C is sorta ok though). Block off part of the radiator with some cardboard in some really really cold weather.

The big thing is managing the quarter light windows (which I find very few people really understand how crucial they can be to proper ventiliation) to keep things from fogging up. Yes, that means opening them a little to get cross flow at 30F in the middle of winter weather especially if its damp outside. If its raining and cool outside, the same thing applies, open them up a little.

Running the fan on at least the lowest setting as soon as you start the car is also critical. Getting in the car, running it and waiting for it to warm up and then putting the fan on is too late. All the moisture inside the car will fog the windows up and turn to ice.

Another thing I do religously to keep the fan healthy is to run it on at least the first setting every time I drive the car. My fan started out completely seized. I freed it up with a screwdriver and some oil and now 17 years later its still fine.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net