• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Schnitzer M10 20-4, 16-valve engines

mattij

When I get a chance and go see my old motor (that used the 4 bolt flange dip stick) I'll check to see if it was cut out or cast that way. I think they were cut out at the factory. I seam to remember a sharp edge in there.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

• 9 years later...

Wowzer, I'll say.  My engine was pretty much in boxes in 2oo6.  What a difference 11 or 12 years make........;) (and a healthy economy - lets forget 2008-2013, not good in my bus).  I wonder what happened to him (Matti)

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, markmac said:

Wowzer, I'll say.  My engine was pretty much in boxes in 2oo6.  What a difference 11 or 12 years make........;) (and a healthy economy - lets forget 2008-2013, not good in my bus).  I wonder what happened to him (Matti)

I talked with him last summer. He's just too busy with work. He'll be back when time is right. Knowing him, I'm pretty sure he will finish the project but schedule is flexible :)

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• 3 years later...

You probably don't want to know......although it would be interesting to hear what the number is.  I would have to guess that a complete motor with injection/pump, turbo etc., would have to be north of $100k (but really no clue).  They don't really have any details on their website or FB.

• 1 year later...

Looking to source pistons for M10 schnitzer. My engine builder has contacted a company in Melbourne but not getting any replies

He is asking for confirmation of the following dims for the pistons 

Compression Height

Piston Volume

Valve Angles

Valve centres

Wrist pin diameter

If theres any otrher source out there woudl be glad to hear

John

Not difficult  to do ,

Copy pistons that came out of motor.

And have them made.

If you aint got ,then need to open up the check book ,because what you are asking is specifically to engine that you are building : valve installed height, .piston to valve clearance, degree of cam and on and on and on.

Each motor will have its own dimensions.

Same ol saying :how fast can you afford to go?

• Like 1

Thanks, issue is I was sold a 2ltr engine only to find the bottom end was 1600 with pistons and conrods from a newer bmw and not at all original. Do  you know where I can get my hands on original Schnitzer piston design?

Have a few other avenues I'm exploring 

Edited by John O

@markmac would be my first go to on this subject. If he doesn't know where to go then I feel it can't be done (easily).

Jason

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

Wowow,  that is a really old thread.

When we rebuilt my motor, it had a relatively fresh set of Mahle pistons in it.  For some reason though, someone drilled four holes in the underside of the piston, no idea why (other than thinking they were lightening it up some.....).  My engine builder wasn't comfortable using the piston set so he sent them on to CP and had a new set made up.

This is what they look like, last pic is of the CP,  semi-finished no coatings.  His opinion is/was Mahle is still the best, with CP being a mm behind them.

PXL_20230725_175739459.jpg

PXL_20230725_175747954.jpg

PXL_20230725_175826325.jpg

PXL_20230725_175846682.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

• Like 1