• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The cross-country voyage of the Hawaiian 2002

KFunk

Oh, and Nevada gasoline is way, way better than California's. It was really tough starting the car in the morning in California, and it took a while. It had me worried a little. But now that I've got a tank of Nevada gas in it, it started up this morning on the first crank.

I've been getting close to 25 MPG... not that great, but better than the 16-18 MPG I got in Honolulu traffic.

It's been really weird cruising with it at 4K+ RPM in 4th gear for so long at time, but I'm getting used to it.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Anonymous

dude!

awsome death valley/vegas post... do you still have that lucky dollar we gave you before you left hawaii? you should hang it from the rear view mirror or stick it to the dashboard. it'll keep the car safe :)

oh yeah, Zeke says hi... she had a minor crash the other day. for some reason the video card got loose. she's working just fine now...

aloha,

ariel

finally, its tough finding wireless access in the great southwest. I still haven't even had phone service in a day or two.

So, I found an Autozone in Vegas, popped the hood, and took care of most of my problems.

Throttle linkage- mostly fixed. I disassembled most of it and found some shiny parts up against the carb where it had been rubbing. I greased it all and put it back together. It doesn't stick open again, which is much better. Now its still hard to press down sometimes, and I think its cuz the rusty throttle return spring is rubbing on the heater hose. I've always wondered why those two parts so close together, but never had problems before. Maybe if I find a shiny new spring it'll rub less.

Starter- Fixed, and perpetual motion machine invented! It was mostly my own dumb fault, combined with the folks at Holley. I've got a Holley oil pressure safety switch that turns off my electric fuel pump if the motor stalls, so it doesn't stay running all the time. It's never quite worked right, as its starter bypass function quit working. I found a way around it by connecting a wire from the top post on the starter to a post on the switch, and it worked fine.

Well, for the boat ride, I bypassed the switch so it'd be easier for the Matson guys to start it. Sometime while in Redwood City I wired it back up, but you can't see the labels on the posts. I just put the wires back where they seemed like they should go, and it worked fine for a few days.

When I first started having the starter problems, I suspected the switch, so I just took off the wire connecting the starter on the switch, and taped it up. It still kept doing it for a few days.

But, the way it was acting, the only thing that might sense to kick on the starter when the motor stalls, is that stupid switch. Despite that wire being disconnected, somehow the oil pressure safety switch (in addition to working fine and doing what it should for the fuel pump) was doing the reverse of what it should for the fuel pump, and kicking on the starter whenever the oil pressure dropped too low.

I have no clue how it was managing to do that, but I swapped some wires around on the posts, and got lucky and got it right this time. I wish Holley would've labeled them better..... ah well, my fault for doing the wiring that way, not the car.

Ah well, car is running smooth and fine now. I took off down to the Hoover Dam and took the dam tour with our dam guide Howard. Pretty amazing feat for some guys back in the 1920s/30s, but most of you guys have probably already seen all about it or been there themself.

ecfa334a.jpg

They're working on building a huge arched bridge in front of the dam now, and claim it will be done in 2008.

ecfa2f8f.jpg

not much to see there right now....

Then it was down to Kingman, Arizona, where I grabbed another Motel 6 for the night and got a steak. I then took the little Route 66 loop up above 40. Nothing too much there, just little interesting gas stations here and there. I managed to see a few prairie dogs alongside the road, so that was good. When I first saw them it was really weird until I fugred out what they were, wasn't expecting them. Couldn't get any good pics, though.

I then went on up the Grand Canyon, and got a look. I'm sure most of you know what it looks like, though.

ecfa3e97.jpg

I met some more german tourists that asked about the car. It's strange how much the germans must like to visit the american southwest. Any ideas why? Many signs I've seen have had the german translation right below the english words.

I guess I need an old american car to drive this route to talk with more americans.

Once I headed away from the Grand Canyon, all I saw were more and more stands where american indians were selling things. I wasn't gonna stop, but I saw one sign that said 'Jerky.' Then I got to thinkin, I really should get some beef jerky from a native american while I'm here, since it'll probably be really good jerky. Then I saw the next sign said 'Really really good jerky.'

So I pulled on in, and bought some. It was good jerky, but I don't know if it was really really good. Nice little shop though:

ecfa3e47.jpg

OK, so I cruised onward through Arizona, toward 4 corners. I noticed that now that I'm out of the big Grand Canyon-HooverDam-Vegas-Yosemite tourist route, things get few and far between. I haven't had cell phone service since back on Route 66.

I figured I'd find a motel in Tuba City, just because it'd be fun to say I was in Tuba City. It was getting dark when I got there, and found only one hotel, a Quality Inn. They only had one suite for $150, so I said screw that, and moved on. The next big town would be Kayenta like 50 miles away, but I worried that it would turn out just like Tuba City. Then it got really dark and rainy, and I pressed on. I didn't like not being able to see the scenery at night, but there was a good lightning show to the east. The road was pretty well empty, and I kept hoping to find a cheap motel somewhere, atleast in Kayenta. With nothing else on the map until Kayenta, I stumbled upon a weird little place called Tsegi Canyon, with the Anasazi Inn! and 24 hr restaurant! $80 for a room seemed fine, so I settled in and got a big steak (hadn't eaten all day).

I then realized I was in the Navajo Nation reservation, so that was pretty cool. Pretty much everyone there was Navajo. the navajo Nation is also too cool for Pacific time, so I was an hour later than I expected.

Once daylight came, there were some pretty nice views of the Tsegi (pronounced Say-ee) canyon behind the Inn.

ecfa3dc6.jpg

ecfa3dcb.jpg

Well, I headed out today bound for 4 corners, but then realized I was near Monument Valley.... so I headed north up to the Utah border to see it. It's a Navajo Tribal Park, so its run a little different than a regular national park. Really nice and weird place.

ecfa3d04.jpg

Right now I'm at the Twin Rocks cafe, just further east, and still with no phone service.

ecfa18e5.jpg

Ariel- Still got the dollar! Thanks for postin, you're the first of a few outsiders that are probably looking but not posting.

and uhh, key switch? I'm not sure what that means, or I'm forgetting something.

Oh, and mileage on car is 53910.

all pics here:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2101890325

Thanks for reading and I got no idea when I'll get phone or net access again.

Kevin

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

for you to go vertical. Colorado has some of the highest Passes in the country. will you go through Wolf Creek or Nort through Utah. either way should be some beeautiful veiws, have fun and don't get scared when you get to 9k feet and beyond, car may hesitate a bit as the air gets thinner.

cant wait to see more photos

FO 2573825

1971 2002, 5-OD, Recaro SE, BBK, 90Amp Alt, Turbines, VDO, Hellas, BD belts, LED Tails, 10 Foot DD

I was thinking that the key switch might be causing your starter problems.

Looks like a great trip. I have done a few long drives in my o2 and my MG Midget. It's satisfying to finish a day in a different kind of car than all the OTHER people.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Kevin: Great journal. Let me know when you start closing in on Ohio. It would be fun to meet you and introduce you to some other 02 owners in this area. You'd be welcome if you need a place to stay or a meal. Good luck with your adventure.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Second Jim's motion--we live a few miles apart in Dayton suburbs--hope you'll stop in Dayton on your way to SE OH...let us know when you're coming and we'll try to gather our fellow '02 owners together to welcome you.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

ok another update!

So, after I left the Twin Rocks Cafe, I cruised over to 4 corners, and of course stood in 4 different states at once. They won't let you drive a car onto it, but you can do donuts around all 4 corners while yelling "you'll never catch me!"

ecf5fa60.jpg

Oh, and at some point I encountered some sheep:

ecf5faae.jpg

Most of the places I've been driving there have been signs saying 'open-range' and I've had to cross cattle guards. It's kinda scary that there might be a bull in the middle of the road while you're cruising thru at 80 mph. So far I've only seen sheep, horses, and a huge herd of elk in California (couldn't grab a pic).

Anyways, I was heading north toward Telluride, and I noticed Mesa Verde National Park was pretty close, but kinda out of my way. The only thing I really wanted to see at Mesa Verde was the cliff palace I've seen in pictures. It looks really surreal, so I kinda wanted to see it.

I thought and thought, and finally just headin on in. It was gettin kinda late for a NP (5pm), and slightly raining.

I get to the gate, and the ranger says the visitors center is closed, but park will be open till sundown. I then noticed it was 23 miles to the cliff palace, and I had less than 1/4 tank. Oh well, I got AAA, and kept on a moving. It was a pretty fun road out there, with some really nice views.

ecf5fa23.jpg

I finally get out to the cliff palace, and there it was:

ecf5f9e4.jpg

Unfortunately I had just missed the last tour into the cliff palace, but atleast i saw it. It's a really cool place, but you could see how it'd be a great place to hide and build your home.

So, I headed on out of the park. I tried to stop at a few other sites, but found nothing else that special. One lady was really happy I told her about a few things before she could drag her old stepfather out of the car to see something that wasn't worthwhile.

Well, at that point I had like 220 miles on my tank of gas, and it was clear down to right on the R (even while going downhill). For those who don't know 02s, I think R is german for 'you R out of gas.'

Well, I kept stretching it further and further. Finally, I got to the major downhill portion off of the Mesa, and just cut off the engine and let it roll!

ecf5f71a.jpg

I just dropped the clutch near the bottom and let it start back up, and cruised on into the gas station at 235 miles on the tank, and put this much gas in it.

ecf5f6d2.jpg

I must've had a little bit still left in it, but I really had no idea where the limit is that the pump can't pick it up.

So, I headed on back to 145 toward Telluride. Colorado is really beautiful, but it was getting dark and rainy and I couldn't see most of it.

ecf5f6b2.jpg

I kept on rolling north, and finally decided to stop at the next motel once it was officially dark (~7pm). I found the Circle K Ranch, with RV parking, camping, and motel. I pulled on down across their muddy bridge and walked in to find a whole bunch of hunters eating dinner. Finally they found the guy in charge, who said they had no more rooms cuz it was hunting season. He suggested I head on up to the next town of Rico, about 10 miles north, where there'd be the Hotel Rico and a cheap motel on a side street.

I kept on a driving in the dark, and finally got to Rico. I searched the town for the motel, and couldn't find it anywhere. I went on into the Hotel Rico, and they said no more rooms. I asked where I might find another motel, and she suggested I go to the Enterprise which is a bar in the middle of Rico, and they rent out rooms upstairs. Sounds like this has got to be a classy place, so why not. I head on into the bar, and it looks like a fun bunch of young people. I ask about rooms, the waitress checks, and she says no more rooms. Oh crap.

Well, guess its on to Telluride, which I think was about 40 miles of twisty treacherous road to the north. I would've loved to have gotten pics, as I'm sure it was beautiful country, but I couldn't see it. I wish I could've seen Lizardhead Pass, but nope....

I seriously thought about sleeping in the car, but I didn't know if I could find a safe place to hide, and it was raining hard and the windshield was leaking bad.

It took a while, but I finally got near Telluride. But all I see are ritzy skiing resorts, no cheap motels...

I just did the easy thing, and pulled into the first gas station, bought a candy bar, and asked the girl at the counter where I might find a cheap motel in Telluride. She pulled out a tourism map and points out the list of hotels, and says which ones she she knows are cheap.

I get out the cell phone and start calling.... and three or four tell me that they are booked up. Apparently there's a Blues and Brews festival going on...

So, I start trying to pick out other hotels that might be cheap. I skip the ones that say luxury, deluxe, etc. I see the 'New Sheridan Hotel' that says its over 100 years old (could be run-down and cheap!). It also says 'European style' rooms, so I'm wondering if maybe thats a fancy way of saying 'tiny and dirty.' I call them up and he says he has a room for $100, and he's right in downtown Telluride. Might as well give it a shot.

So I find the hotel, and its incredibly swanky:

(shown in daylight today)

ecf5f556.jpg

ecf5f555.jpg

and of course the room is very tiny, but very fancy:

ecf5f676.jpg

There's only one restroom for the whole floor, and apparently thats 'European Style.' But still it was quite nice. They also had wireless internet, but i didn't take time to update the blog because I was intent on taking full advantage of the New Sheridan Hotel's facilities to get my $100 worth.

So, I went straight up to the roof and the jumped in the hot tub, in the cold Colorado rain. (shown in daylight today)

ecf5f549.jpg

I then went on down to the New Sheridan bar and talked to a few people. They said Telluride was a pretty fun town and I should stay for the festival that starts Friday. I thought about it, but I didn't really wanna pay that much for a room again.

The next morning I got my full breakfast from the New Sheridan, and went outside to see Telluride in the daylight for the first time:

ecf5f610.jpg

snowy peaks:

ecf5f618.jpg

and right at the end of the valley is Bridal Veil Falls:

ecf5f38d.jpg

and this guy seemed to be having a good time:

ecf5f2fb.jpg

Well, I then headed up to Montrose and eastward on 50 across Colorado.

Strangely, I hadn't seen a Wal-Mart since I left Hawaii, but finally saw one in Montrose. weird. It was rainy most of the way, but still very beautiful. It seems like there's always a beautiful rocky creek always flowing alongside the road in Colorado.

But here's a picture of the McDonald's that strangely had a single golden arch:

ecf5f293.jpg

But really, it was all smooth curvy roads along gorgeous cliffs through Colorado.

ecf5f1cf.jpg

I was following an MR2 for a little while, and white smoke came rolling out of the engine. Finally, I got my chance to help out a stranded motorist, so I pulled on over. It was an older australian guy, and he seemed to think it was a stuck thermostat. He'd just gotten the car from his son that moved back to Australia, and it had 185K miles on it.

ecf5f17e.jpg

I offered him the use of my tools to pop the t-stat out, but he said he wouldn't know what to do with them. So I went ahead and started taking it out. I had some silicone and stuff, so we sealed it up and put it back together. We replaced the lost coolant with some water from the lake (redneck I know, but just a temp fix). We took off down the road toward Gunnison, but unfortunately it overheated again after a couple miles. We figured it must be the water pump then, so I was sorry I couldn't fix it for him. I offered to give him a ride or something, but he decided he'd just hang out and wait on a tow truck. I gave him my phone number and headed on down the road.

Then it was just more beautiful roads:

ecf5f02a.jpg

It started to flatten out as I got near Pueblo, unfortunately. I knew there were some cheap hotels in Pueblo, so I went ahead and got a room at like 6pm instead of pushing the limits like the last couple night. As I was pulling into the Days Inn I saw a very nice older silver 911 with huge race numbers (55 D i think) and Martini Racing on the windshield. The driver actually noticed my car and waved first, and I waved back. He said he was in town for a club race at a nearby road course, and he said I should stop by the track tomorrow. So, I'm thinkin about it.

I got a nice big room for 40 bucks. I went next door to DJ's Steakhouse which looked like a little shack, but I got one of the best prime ribs I've ever had. It was like 2" thick, and the au jus was in a fancy little stand with a candle underneath it. I then took advantage of the Days Inn hot tub and now I'm using their wireless internet.

Pretty fun so far!

I'm thinkin maybe I oughta change my points in the morning, its been a couple thousand miles. I should probably rotate my tires front to rear too, as its had some hydroplaning tendencies lately. Sometime in the next couple days I probably ought to change my oil too.

Oh, and I've strangely noticed no difference in performance at high or low altitudes.

I think the odometer says 54415 now.

Well thanks for reading all that! I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I'm not sure where I'm heading next once I get into Kansas, which could get pretty boring. I'll try and plan things out in the morning.

edit- full album of pics:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2101852126

Bring a Welder

Second Jim's motion--we live a few miles apart in Dayton suburbs--hope you'll stop in Dayton on your way to SE OH...let us know when you're coming and we'll try to gather our fellow '02 owners together to welcome you.

cheers

mike

Thanks guys, that'd be great! I actually haven't seen another 02 since I left San Francisco. I'm not sure how much time I'll spend visiting some of my friends on the way, but if you send me a phone number I'll be sure to get in touch once I get close.

I wonder if Karl is reading this thread, perhaps he missed it. He's one of the few guys I've already met! I'll e-mail him real quick to check.

Bring a Welder