• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$59,000 tii

dirk2602

and at that, it only costs more to restore if you take into account the time that goes into it- or how much you are paying people to do the restore. - it didn't cost Tom 59k to restore the car-- but it might have cost that much for whomever was paying him - and what they payed for was the right to make the car like they wanted it - slightly odd choices and all.

its tough to find someone that is willing to pay the same price to get a vehicle that is exactly as someone else wanted it. - but then again, lots of rich people have no imaginations - so i guess maybe

'70 project

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Correct me if i'm wrong, but shouldn't a "Euro-spec" car also have its liscense plate lights in the rear bumper, not sticking out of the rear clip next to the plate?

I dont know small bumper euro cars so well, so I may be off on this...

[Edit]: Its also missing the left-side heater lever aluminum trim panels. Sheesh... Sorry, I'm not going to pay a dime over $58,890 for it now.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Yes, the Euro bumper has "tag lights"...I missed that little departure from "correctness" :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

main man, I think.

I have seen Tom's currect car and it very nicely done too.

The car should be flawless and this a mere fraction of what Don charged for Brian's Ceylon in 2002 and the Turbo he did last year for Brian.

I hope the felllow gets this price, it good for the rest of us.

Full restorations of this quality, done by professionals, come in at the figure or better.

The question, is someone willing to pay the price.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

head up a$$!

'Some fool on TV paid stupid money for one,

so that must be the market price'

Television is evil

and must be

ignored.

Then, like a spoiled little

child, it'll eventually shut

its stupid pie- hole..

wow, I'm in a mood this am...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

As long as we're playing "picky-picky" someone should correctly adjust his car's emergency brakes so the handle doesn't come so high, and I'm not sure about roundies, but on square-lites the oil spec sticker goes on the drivers side, not the passenger's.

Bob Napier

Ah, yes, Chip (Biff, or whomever) - the perfect little plaything to have sit around on a pillow so you can brag about how much was spent on it, its restoration, the rarity and goodness-knows-whatever-else in the interest of conspicuous consumerism.

I recall parking my well loved and well used '73tii next to Don Dethlefsen's Verona tii back at the Midwest '02 Fest in 2001.

Someone asked me, "What's the difference between your car and Don's car?"

"About $20,000" I replied.

Delia and Orange Julius

driven no less than 3,000 miles since July 28.

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

not inconsistant to find various deviations from "original" in restorations on cars that would be considered to fit into a "moderate cost" catagory in the collector car world - usually because the person paying for the restoration specified that the car be built that way.

Quite a few years ago it was common to see multiple deviations (both small and large) in restorations on 356 Porsches, back when an expensive Speedster was $30K and a nice coupe could be had for under $10K. At that time, the cars weren't worth so much money as to make it imperative that absolute originality be maintained to protect the resale value, so lots of folks installed tweaked 912 engines, 741 transaxles, "C" disc brakes and did 12 volt conversions to make them more driveable. Today, with decent Speedsters pushing 6 figures and most solid cars bringing at least $25K +, originality is king, and folks with modified cars are scouring all available sources for the parts to put them back into original condition.

Personally, I kinda hope '02 valuations never reach stratospheric levels - if they do, most of 'em will become largely immobile garage queens, joining legions of Jag XKs, Healys, Porsches, Alfas and other cars that were once great fun to own and drive that now only see the light of day once or twice a year......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

it should atleast be correct. i dont see how not leading in the fender would increase driveability in anyway so...? i dont get it. your paying for a PERFECT CAR - if you do things like that its more of a driver-restoration that looks extremely good.

-Marty

'73 Atlantik-Hubert-

R 1 3

'-|--|

2 4

not inconsistant to find various deviations from "original" in restorations on cars that would be considered to fit into a "moderate cost" catagory in the collector car world - usually because the person paying for the restoration specified that the car be built that way.

Quite a few years ago it was common to see multiple deviations (both small and large) in restorations on 356 Porsches, back when an expensive Speedster was $30K and a nice coupe could be had for under $10K. At that time, the cars weren't worth so much money as to make it imperative that absolute originality be maintained to protect the resale value, so lots of folks installed tweaked 912 engines, 741 transaxles, "C" disc brakes and did 12 volt conversions to make them more driveable. Today, with decent Speedsters pushing 6 figures and most solid cars bringing at least $25K +, originality is king, and folks with modified cars are scouring all available sources for the parts to put them back into original condition.

Personally, I kinda hope '02 valuations never reach stratospheric levels - if they do, most of 'em will become largely immobile garage queens, joining legions of Jag XKs, Healys, Porsches, Alfas and other cars that were once great fun to own and drive that now only see the light of day once or twice a year......

Over their ten-year production run, Porsche made abou 7,800 356 models in various forms. In 1964 alone, they made 10,000. According to one source it is estimated nearly half of these cars still exist. Of those that remain, it is the very original and painstakingly restored cars that command the highest prices.

But not always...a recent auction sale of a non-matching number '58 Speedster (one of 4,243 produced from 1955 to 1959) at RMs Amelia Island (3/12/06) tapped the gavel at $121,000.

The car is stunningly beautiful in its aquamarine paint and red interior, and the attention to detail is impeccable. Is it worth $121K? Not to me, but I'm not buying.

The market is fickle at best, and this kind of auction hype is the same kind of impulsiveness that also brought a bone stock, Sahara tan, carb'd 1973 2002 with just less than 50K miles up to $17,000 a few months ago.

In either case, supply and demand plus passion and disposable income takes precedent over originality and common sense.

"There is no substitute for cubic dollars."

My $.02

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com

then that price is a bargain, considering that most of the werkshop's pricetags are in the $50k-$100k range. the bargain coming into play in that you wouldn't have to wait for don and his boys to complete the work...it's ready to roll.

that said, i'd never dig that deep for an 02 restoration. luckily i'll never have to worry about it as a spare $59k laying around my bank account looking for a home will never be an issue.

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

interesting car.... not leading the fenders was pretty bonehead, but everything else "wrong" with it could easily be fixed. not that anyone would or should! put some H&Rs and bilsteins, 50series tires and DRIVE IT.

edit: why put a car that is NOT FOR SALE on your for sale page? http://www.memory-motors.com/1964_Porsche_356C_Coupe.htm

then that price is a bargain, considering that most of the werkshop's pricetags are in the $50k-$100k range. the bargain coming into play in that you wouldn't have to wait for don and his boys to complete the work...it's ready to roll.

If you're referring to the Sahara Tan 2002 mentioned in my post, it is not a restoration, but a "conservation" - all original paint, no rain, no accidents, one owner, low mileage "time-machine." It's bound to have a few scratches and nicks.

It's apples vs. oranges -- all original vs. restored. In this case, I'd prefer the former. And it's not about price...

Besides, Don Dethlefsen seems to have plenty of business.

You can love an old car for a lot of reasons, and while some want to keep them as showcars and garage queens, or lord help us, investments, some of us still drive our cars. I've owned 2002s since 1972, and for me, the joy of ownership is in the driving.

Is my car stock? No, but not unhappily so.

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

deliawolfe@gmail.com