• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slips out of second gear

Posted (edited)

So where should I begin to look? This is a new problem… it began about a week after I finished changing out the clutch master cylinder which in my head I can’t place how they would be related (master cylinder seems to work well) and gears 1,3 and 4 have no issues, neither does reverse. I’ve seen bent forks in the trans a possible issue, but we’re fairly gentle with shifting. Any ideas where so start looking? I’ll be dropping the exhaust and driveshaft today to get better access to the linkages.

crappy video of shifting through the range… its not helpful to me but maybe to yall?

Edited by Geep
Add media

1976 2002 - 4spd man

1976 2002 no engine, in pieces

1974 2002 in pieces

Glad my wife puts up with my crap

Does it slip, or is it pushed, is always the first question.

I diagnose these by keeping a light touch on the lever,

then getting it to come out of gear.  If it's self- ejecting, you can usually feel

the stick being pushed by the teeth losing mesh in the collar.  And feel the 

vibration sent back by the collar pushing on the fork.

If the body is doing it, you can often feel the 'clunk' as the lever hits the shell,

and then the different vibration as the collar vibration is replaced by the body.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

As dar as I can tell… it feels like it fits sloppily into second. No real evident sounds or vibrations. It tends to slip out at neutral thrust (no gas, slight downhill coast so little engine braking), and it seems to slip in two steps. The stick will slip slightly back toward neutral but will remain in gear, but at this point it goes any time. On several occasions I was not able to reengage second until going thru other gears. Occasional grind when trying to reengage shortly after slipping out. 

1976 2002 - 4spd man

1974 2002 in pieces

Didja check to make sure the shift linkage support bracket is firmly bolted to the tranny, and the metalastic mounts haven't turned into black goo, and therefore are loose?  The inertia of the bracket moving around is sufficient to pull the lever out of gear...or make shifting difficult.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Not mine or any affiliation but saw this for you. Buy at risk but here if it helps any

STLOUIS.CRAIGSLIST.ORG

For sale is a 1971 BMW stamped Getrag 4 speed transmission part # 242 0 291 01. This transmission came with a spare parts package from a 1977 BMW 320 ITB race car. Included with the transmission is...

I'm with Mike before throwing money at it right off the bat, you'll have other opportunity's to do that soon enough, check the platform mounts and rear brace things are real tight in there and anything out of shape can cause the trans to slip out of gear, the transmission I've seen tend to pop out of gear with some force not the 2 stage disengagement you spoke of.  

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

When I pulled the ds this weekend it appears I did not correctly install the lock bushing and the nut backed out some. This resulted is roto-jingly sound I asked about in a previous post, and possibly also the slipping out of second. Tightening the nut (and properly installing the lock bushing) I put it back together, eliminating the problem sound and improving gear ‘retention’, but its still a problem, and will pop out when engine braking in 2nd. Someone suggested that the output shaft may have crept slightly toward the engine causing misalignment in the synchros? Made some sense… going to pull it back apart this weekend, replace some seals, and properly torque the output yoke nut to be sure the main shaft pulls back into alignment. 

thats the latest. I appreciate everyone’s help over several different threads that apparently related haha. 

1976 2002 - 4spd man

1974 2002 in pieces

If it has popped out of gear enough times it may have rounded the teeth enough that it needs to be replaced.  What did you torque the nut to?  Red LocTite?  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC