• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack mounting position and pieces

Go to solution Solved by VeroTii,

I'm embarrassed to ask but his should be an easy one.  I am looking for a good picture of how the jack and lug wrench mount in the trunk.  I have a new jack and wrench but it is not obvious to me how they mount and what other bits & pieces I may be missing.  My Haynes manual does not show it and a search of the discussions came up empty.  Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_2448.jpeg

• Solution

Thanks to all.  Mine is a square light '74.  I am obviously missing the bracket and wing nut for both the jack and tire.  I will fashion something or try to purchase one someplace.

Wing nut is same thread (M8) as a lug nut… the ‘claw’ is NLA ( try a WTB post), though I’ve seen some fabbed from wood.

Once you get it all fastened down, plan to leave it there and get a proper scissor jack to actually use. The OE jack is frankly dangerous..

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

18 minutes ago, visionaut said:

The OE jack is frankly dangerous..

Yep ... that's why mine has never been used. 

Jack, lug wrench, tool kit and original spare tire are "decorative" items for emergency use only.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2024 at 2:31 PM, John76 said:

Yep ... that's why mine has never been used. 

Only used mine once, and narrowly missed breaking my arm when the car fell off the jack.  That was in 1970 and it hasn't been used since.  Display only.

I fit my scissors jack in the trunk between the top of the rear wheel arch and the underside of the rear package shelf, tightened just enough so it'll stay in place.  

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Message received on usability.  I really don't plan on using it.  I have a couple scissor jacks I can bring along.

That said, I have the jack and want to mount it just for looks.  Simple right?  Apparently not.  Please look at the pictures I attached.  Are their different length jacks out there?  I am following the pictures from Mark92131 and John76.  Mine does not seem to fit in the car properly.  The lug wrench is fine but the jack does not sit properly in the bracket.  What am I missing here?  If the head of the jack is on the little shelf on the wheel well then the jack cannot sit flush with the holder bracket.  I cannot get my jack to sit like either of the pictures provided.

Screen Shot 2024-03-25 at 5.06.34 PM.png

IMG_2455.jpg

I'm not sure that jack is for a 2002, be nice to get a better picture of it alone, but either way the jack leg needs to be in the lowest position.

The only jacks I've seen were made by Bilstein but to tell the truth I don't ever touch the jack much.

RARE EARLY BMW Storz Traglast Car Jack - Picture 2 of 22

Edited by Son of Marty

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Mine is definitely different from yours.  The jack leg interface with the car is certainly different.  The PO gave it to me with a bunch of other parts so I am not sure of its pedigree.