• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early Lower Timing Cover Pointer Hack Needed

Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

I'm rebuilding an early 1969 M10 and the timing cover that came with it is lacking the pointer (see below).  Has anyone come up with a hack to add a pointer.  I notice the back of the cover has somewhat of a bung, but I'm reluctant to drill through it to add a pointer.  Any thoughts on a solution?

6E349BF7-B7F3-41A8-A175-76BBFB525EA0.jpeg

82136DE9-76DC-477A-997D-CF1B9F0E9AFB.jpeg

I'm cheap and my cover has already been decked to match the block.  I haven't bought the new flywheel yet so that may be an option.  I new used cover is an option, but....$

Murph

The problem is BMW over the years used several different locations for the timing pointer and you will need a matching pully or at least remark your pully when the engine is at TDC or as above just time it off the flywheel.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

7 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

or as above just time it off the flywheel.

With a battery sittin there it’s not that easy to get a clean line of sight on that pin/ pulley anyway

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Battery is in the trunk so that's not an issue, but I do agree getting a line of sight on my current engine that has the pointer is PITA.  I was planning to use the front pointer for when I degree the CAM in addition to my gauge.  Flywheel may be the best way to go or just rely on my wire I'm using to set TDC.

Thanks 

Murph

• Like 1

I've always made a pointer that hangs off one of the unused mounting bosses and indicates TDC 

of whatever front crank pulley I'm using.  Or whatever degree marking that's the most useful.

I seem to remember a piece of aluminum angle can be cut to work, but this was all done before your

RFID tracker was also your camera, so I'll have to go take a picture of it tomorrow.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Solution

Per your first picture:  if the pointer goes into the blind hole at the 5 o'clock position relative to the crankshaft hole (and connected by a rib), I'll wager that's a 6mm hole.  It would be easy enough to tap the hole for a 6x1 mm thread, then take a bolt or machine screw of appropriate length, cut the head off and grind the end to a point (chuck it into an electric drill and go after it with a file).  Thread it into the hole with some locktite and your problem is solved.  

Threading is probably a better solution than trying to press a rod into the hole, as too much pressure might split your casting.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite