• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

new gas tank/filler neck install woes....

rjd2

^ Good question. Do you have the metal sandwhich plate for the short neck?

Your car wants to use the short rubber neck. The only good options in your situation are changing tanks or cutting a metal tube extension for the gas tank and having it welded on.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

The early tank style with the large rubber neck is not the best design... 

• The rubber neck degrades over time, getting tiny cracks which caused fume leaks into the trunk (if the rubber isn't soft and flexible, this means your car).  I've seen a junkyard car with a big bit of the rubber missing where the gas station nozzle just broke through it.  Duct tape is not gasoline proof!
  • Rubber overlapping the metal neck on the tank can cause leaks during filling as fuel gets into the crack between the neck and the rubber and then weeps out onto the top of the tank
  • The built in flange on the rear fender can't be easily replaced or repaired-  new early fenders are probably unobtainable

Bite the bullet and get the right tank for your car's better design.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

our car wants to use the short rubber neck. The only good options in your situation are changing tanks or cutting a metal tube extension for the gas tank and having it welded on.

+1 

If you try to use the metal "sandwich" plate from your car to (try and) clamp the early style rubber sleeve...  They weren't designed to work together, so you're gonna have a leak--raw gas when filling the tank and fumes later--that will not only be annoying but dangerous. 

Annoying because those fumes will creep into the passenger compartment, and dangerous because both fumes and raw gas in the trunk can catch fire or explode from, say a spark from a loose tail light bulb.

Do it right and save yourself some grief...or worse.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 hours ago, rjd2 said:

. Does anyone know what mount would get me to completion with the tank I have?

Sure, the mount from a pre model 71 will work. All you have to do is this...

Find a suitable donor car with early style fuel filler set up, cut out the rear quarter panel from the donor car, cut out the quarter panel from your car, install (weld in)donor quarter panel, fill, fair, prep and paint to match.

Or just cut out a chunk of donor panel including the filler area and replace (scab patch) onto your car. Fill, fair, prep and paint to match.

The fill, fair, prep and paint to match bit is completely optional😁

You cant just unbolt what you need here, that stuff is part of the panel.

Another option is to find another car with the correct set up and install this tank your obsessing on into it.

Another option is to spend a few hundred bucks at Tanks inc and buy enough bits to bodge up something that may work(filler cap, flange, hose)

Another option is to buy one of those in trunk filler kits.

Another option is to locate correct later style  tank, cut off longer filler neck and weld onto your tank... be carefull,  don't blow yourself up. Recommend you fill the tank completely with water before attempting to weld.

Oh wait, if the later tank you find is serviceable, I suppose you could just install it.

So lots of options available, I guess...

9 hours ago, rjd2 said:

Is there like a demerit system applicable that gives users like me a digital dunce cap, and goes and sits in the corner? 😂😂😂

Not that I'm aware of but I have made a mental note to never, ever, buy a car from you😉

Edited by tech71
  • Haha 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

On 2/23/2024 at 9:02 AM, Stevenc22 said:

^ Good question. Do you have the metal sandwhich plate for the short neck?

Your car wants to use the short rubber neck. The only good options in your situation are changing tanks or cutting a metal tube extension for the gas tank and having it welded on.

thanks. i have test fitted the short neck, and the rubber lip of the short neck does not mate flush to the cap mount all the way around; there are visible gaps between the 4 screw mount locations. I have to assume I must be missing a part that would be a metal disc shaped mount that would live outside the lip/flange of the rubber short neck, no? any leads on what search terms would result in this, or should I go fabricating?

in my defense, I started this project not with a shell I had then disassembled, blasted and painted, but with a shell that came to me as a shell. so in some ways, I'm starting from scratch-the compatibility of parts across different years, old parts sourced from various vendors, new parts, etc make for a scenario of trial and error! 

EDIT: I found the part in question. classicsdaily.com has it in stock(fuel filler neck metal flange is the description).

One last question, and I don't want this to land as me being abrasive, I am genuinely attempting to understand the functionality in question....

the short filler neck is a molded piece of rubber that seals to the "nipple" of the metal gas tank via hose clamp. rubber mating to metal, creating a fuel tight seal. right? so, if I were to introduce a 2" milled aluminum coupler, and a length of 2" fuel safe rubber filler neck that mates tank to coupler, with short filler neck mating to coupler, and all connections of rubber against metal are sealed via hose clamp, am I not introducing one additional "rubber to metal+hose clamp connection"? I guess from a functionality perspective, if the diameters all play nicely, why would 2 of these connections result in a dangerous situation, but one of these connections is perfectly fine? i'm really not trying to be obtuse or contradictory. the actual physics of it are not making sense, and thus I'm trying to make sense of it. is the main objection one of aesthetics, or actual functionality? thanks for the help in my understanding. if what is in play here is "but your car won't pass as a 1+/2- grading at Amelia Island", that is one thing, and a risk i'm willing to take. if it is "your car will fill up with fumes", that's another that i'm not willing to take.

Edited by rjd2

1 hour ago, rjd2 said:

thanks. i have test fitted the short neck, and the rubber lip of the short neck does not mate flush to the cap mount all the way around; there are visible gaps between the 4 screw mount locations. I have to assume I must be missing a part that would be a metal disc shaped mount that would live outside the lip/flange of the rubber short neck, no? any leads on what search terms would result in this, or should I go fabricating?

Post pics of your test fit. Hard to tell what you have and don't have at this point.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

6 hours ago, rjd2 said:

I have to assume I must be missing a part that would be a metal disc shaped mount that would live outside the lip/flange of the rubber short neck, no? any leads on what search terms would result in this, or should I go fabricating?

Maybe @pierre02ti has the part you are missing.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

if you really still want to use the long neck rubber, I can cut a section of the filler area, but it’s gonna be a lot of work for you to patch it back, since it’s part of the quarter panel. Long neck tank is the best solutions, or find an adapter tube piece, weld and extend the inlet