• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scheel 501 renewal

mike472

I finally got tired of looking at the worn through fabric on my old Scheel seats and decided to have my local upholstery shop Brimar redo these seats in the stock Marine Blue vinyl material that matches the door panels.  He took the seats down to the bare bones and modified the foam a little for a slightly wider seat and back with a little less behind the shoulders.  I was going to put the Scheel emblems back on but they looked like s**t so I didn't  We used both perforated and plain material.  The old rotted webbing underneath was replaced with a piece of thick masonite looking board.  All metal was refinished in black.  This was the finishing touch but as you all know there is never a "finishing touch". Everything is a work in progress even if you think it's finished!

IMG_1077.jpeg

IMG_1105.jpeg

IMG_1104.jpeg

IMG_1106.jpeg

IMG_1120.jpeg

IMG_1121.jpeg

IMG_1122.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1155.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg

IMG_1204.jpeg

IMG_1205.jpeg

• Like 16

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

$2400.  It was a lot of work.  He did my GTS touring seats over I had in the Inca car.  I bought them with a corduroy center section. Kind of a mistake. They got dirty looking really fast. It cost me 500 to replace center with the right black vinyl and reshape the foam so it was a little wider, a little bump up in the thigh support and same behind the shoulders. Also deleted the headrests. Much more comfortable and better looking 

he also did rear seats for 1800. Matched the perforated center sections in the front with the same thing done in each seating position in the rear. 

IMG_1033.jpeg

IMG_1032.jpeg

IMG_1034.jpeg

IMG_0616.jpeg

IMG_0617.jpeg

IMG_0608.jpeg

• Like 3

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Those look spectacular!  My father-in-law, original owner of Sputter, had put Scheel seats in their van, and they sure were comfy.

You have me shopping now.

74 2002tii (Sputter) - Not entirely stock - Over 18K miles since full restoration in 2014

15 BMW X5 diesel (the bombed out roads of Houston finally won)

I know the Scheel seats are “da bomb”, but I believe they are super heavy.  Congrats on finding a local upholstery shop to get the work done.   One place I took my old e21 Recaros to (now sold) asked my why I would get rid of the factory 2002 seats 🙀🤣.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 12/10/2023 at 5:14 PM, AceAndrew said:

Those look fantastic Mike.  Looks like what the car wished it would have had to begin with.

Andrew the car got it's wish!  I should have done this a long time ago. I would have but didn't know who to go to. I just met the guy that owns this shop and he does some high end work at reasonable prices.  Saw several  P cars he had apart.  He is really talented and I'm lucky to have found him.  Brimar is the name of the shop for you guys here in the NYC area.

On 12/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, jgerock said:

I know the Scheel seats are “da bomb”, but I believe they are super heavy.  Congrats on finding a local upholstery shop to get the work done.   One place I took my old e21 Recaros to (now sold) asked my why I would get rid of the factory 2002 seats 🙀🤣.

Jim  you are correct.  They're heavy as hell.  The frame has some heavy steel and the mount doesn't help either.  Comfortable and probably protect you a little bit in a crash.  Glad I ditched the 5 mph bumpers!

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

On 12/10/2023 at 6:38 PM, jgerock said:

but I believe they are super heavy

The 501’s yes are huge, but not all Scheels were created equal. I would guess most were the same weight or less even than the period Recaro. Some early Scheels even started out as GRP/fiberglass weighing in only around 5kg each (left and center)

IMG_3343.thumb.jpeg.098ac6ecffab20f43f86db7e792d6e01.jpeg

Edited by JohnP_02
  • Like 3

1976 2002 Fjordblau (currently Verona, 3rd owner)

1969 2002 Granada, 2nd owner

Too many steering wheels

36 minutes ago, bob02 said:

For anybody interested, I just weighed a Scheel 501(38 pounds) and Recaro LSB (30 pounds).

Bob

image.jpg

Busy day there?

:D

• Haha 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

These are the vinyls he had for early BMW’s.  We chose Marine blue which is what the interior panels are. They came out of a Fiordblau car. He is re-doing my trunkboards too.  You can see the gray elephant skin material for that at the bottom of the page. I thought briefly about leather but this was cheaper and more authentic in my own humble opinion.

IMG_1107.jpeg

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

76 Estorilblau 2740318