• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA: Trick for draining coolant without a huge mess!

5 hours ago, jimk said:

Sometimes I'm a purist and jamming a tapered thread fitting into a straight thread hole is where I become a purist.  Proper way to to locate a straight mm threaded (w/seal ring)) x mpt bushing and then thread a drain valve into the bushing.

that's why they invented JB Weld 

• Haha 1

But what do I know

1 hour ago, conkitchen said:

that's why they invented JB Weld 

Go slow over bump, your car may break apart at the glued places. :)

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

14 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

Please post details of your adding a drain cock to that freeze plug hole, i.e, threads, size(s), etc. 

I found the reference in my March 1995 Roundel column...although I didn't install it in a freeze plug hole--they're way too large and not threaded.

I replaced the block's drain plug (a bolt, inconveniently located under the exhaust manifold) with a drain cock bearing 1/4" pipe threads.  They're close enough to the original bolt's threads that it threads right in.  And since the fitting is brass and the block cast iron, if any thread deformation occurs, it'll be in the fitting.   I used some Teflon tape just to make sure it didn't leak...and it hasn't.  It's still in the block; I reinstalled it after the engine was rebuilt in 2004.  Be sure and get one with a nipple so you can attach a hose to lead the coolant down to your waiting drain pan.  And when you're finished, cap the nipple with a plug so it doesn't get full of dirt.  

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you, Mike.  I knew I'd need that article one day.  I meant drain plug hole, not freeze plug hole.  You think this Grainger drain cock might be the ticket?

PARKER Drain Cock: Internal Seat, Brass, 1/4 in Pipe Size, MNPT x Hose, 150 psi Max. Pressure  Item 21VL77    Mfr. Model DC607-4

Larry

DC607-4__UPBP_v2.jpg.7a9b4ae7c944109ce863fe609e8443bc.jpg

12 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

You think this Grainger drain cock might be the ticket?

It'll work, but I'd get an assembly with a nipple on it or solder a short piece of copper tubing to the drain plug.  Lacking something to attach a drain hose to, the coolant is gonna spew out the same as it would if you removed the original bolt.  You want to easily guide the draining coolant into a pan without having to hold a funnel in place while it drains.

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

12 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

You think this Grainger drain cock might be the ticket?

It'll work, but I'd get an assembly with a nipple on it or solder a short piece of copper tubing to the drain plug.  Lacking something to attach a drain hose to, the coolant is gonna spew out the same as it would if you removed the original bolt.  You want to easily guide the draining coolant into a pan without having to hold a funnel in place while it drains.

mike

4 hours ago, 2002#3 said:

but a nipple-like outlet which can be aimed down and to which a hose can be attached.  Have I missed something?

Nope, I missed the outlet.  Many of those drain cocks drain out the middle of the drain handle--I just didn't look close enough.  That one will work just fine!

mike

As infrequent a block drain happens with long life antifreeze, I don't see all the trouble to install a drain valve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimk said:

long life antifreeze

I googled up the bloo BMW coolant to see if it was long-life.  It is.  I'm glad.  Here's what I read

ARE LONG LIFE COOLANTS REALLY LONG LIFE? 

Long-life coolants, or Extended Life Coolants (ELC), offer a 5-year or 150,000-mile service life protection. Most OAT (Organic Acid Technology) or HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) coolants today, including OEM BMW coolants, are extended life coolants. That said, their long lifespan is not an indication that you must replace the coolant only every 5 years or 150,000 miles. 

While these coolants are designed to last that long, we recommend sticking to a 2-year or 30,000-mile replacement interval. This way, the fluid in your cooling system is always in prime condition. 

Taken from here

BIMMERS.COM

Using the right BMW coolant for your car is essential if you want your engine to run smoothly. Here's what coolant to get and what to avoid at all costs.

Five years works for me.  Thanks for the insight, jimk.

Here's what I setup to catch my spills.  It'd also work well for general cleaning under the hood.  It's nice to be able to catch the mess(es).  This is a dirty hobby.

002.thumb.JPG.302e3faf50eab34f9e21fb48218228b7.JPG

006.thumb.JPG.5bd3f3707818f8c861d460422aaa39fb.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jimk said:

As infrequent a block drain happens with long life antifreeze, I don't see all the trouble to install a drain valve.

👍👍👍👍 I'm with Jim, you'll only use it 1 time in 2 or 3 years.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Man's life expectancy is ---, let's see how many years in today's world?  Calculate  how many changes you need to plan for.

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

While these coolants are designed to last that long, we recommend sticking to a 2-year or 30,000-mile replacement interval. This way, the fluid in your cooling system is always in prime condition. 

If it worries you, buy a container of the coolant test strips.  If the ph starts to go, then add some coolant boost to replenish the additive like the big boys do in heavy equipment.

• Like 1