• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2002 Weber 45 DCOE conversion.

Mtechnic

Hello I have a 76 2002 im looking to restore and improve.

What would I need in full to convert to Weber 45 DCOE's so far I have compiled this list.

-Manifold and Weber 45's

-Electronic fuel pump, fuel pump block off.

-Coolant reroute.

-Custom throttle linkage.

New to carbs and 2002s so let me know if im wrong! 

- 1984 318i 5sp - 1987 325i 5sp
- 1985 318i 5sp - 1988 735i 5sp
- 1987 325i 5sp - 1976 2002 4sp

First of all what is the engine set up now as Zinz said 45 are for engines with a 300'+ cam and 9.5 c/r. Along with your fuel pump you'll need a good quality fuel pressure regulator set and maintaining 2 psi. To reroute the cooling you'll need the bypass tube and a 320i or tii elbow. As for your linkage get the Halboyles linkage which is the reverse engineered factory linkage (you'll notice I didn't say ripped off) So with the state of your engine we can get you a start on the jetting.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1 hour ago, Mtechnic said:

-Custom throttle linkage.

I might be slightly biased about this particular requirement, but here is a list of most of the components you need.  As @zinz and @Son of Marty suggested, you would have to have a really "built" engine to require 45 DCOEs.  And besides the fuel pressure regulator for the electric fuel pump, you'll some electric device to turn off the fuel pump when there is an impact, the oil pressure drops, or a signal from the condenser isn't found.   

Here is our PDF of most of the components, a link to our Side Draft Linkage System, and a link to a device to help keep your 2002s from becoming an inferno.

WWW.2002SONLY.COM

The Universal DCOE System works with any one- or two-piece manifold including OEM, IE, Cannon, Korman, Warnerford, …. This is the best System for most Side Draft conversions including those with the DCOE choke mechanism installed. $265 plus shipping. 4/12/23--WE...

WWW.EBAY.COM

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Fuel Pump Relay On/Off Controller Safety Switch 12v Electric 3 Sec Key On Primer at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

2002 Side Draft Conversion System Components.pdf

• Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

as mentioned above cam and pistons for 45s (and when you're doing them you'd want to do conrod bearings and main bearings and check the oilpump too - so basically you need a good engine to start with...)
Different Distributor

Air Cleaner 

ti(i) Brakebooster

200$ in jets

Wideband Lambda Controller
(and go 40s if your engine is stock or just mildly tuned)

Edited by uai

8 hours ago, uai said:

as mentioned above cam and pistons for 45s (and when you're doing them you'd want to do conrod bearings and main bearings and check the oilpump too - so basically you need a good engine to start with...)
Different Distributor

Air Cleaner 

ti(i) Brakebooster

200$ in jets

Wideband Lambda Controller
(and go 40s if your engine is stock or just mildly tuned)

Let me paraphrase:

What do you need for a successful 45 DCOE upgrade? A different engine.

• Haha 1

You're velocity stack length is variable dependent on your booster choice and manifold choice.

If want to assemble your own set and want to chat, feel free to PM me your number.

Here's some reference photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/152898763@N04/albums/72157662611896578

@Mtechnic  Over the summer I've been rebuilding/assembling x2 2002 DCOE kits w/ Italian weber 40's and 45's.  Still need to grab @halboyles linkage and do final pre-dyno jetting.  They'll go up on the FAQ classifieds in a couple weeks.  Won't be cheap, but will be fair.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mtechnic said:

Hello I have a 76 2002 im looking to restore and improve.

Electronic fuel pump, fuel pump block off.

You do not need an electric fuel pump to run either 40 or 45 DCOE carbs. The factory mechanical pump generates the ~3PSI required for these carbs. I also agree with other's comments that the 40 DCOE is more that sufficient to run a stock motor. I am running 45 DCOEs on my motor, but have 9.5:1 pistons, Motorsport 300 cam, headers, etc. Even with that, it isn't clear to me that the 40 DCOEs wouldn't have sufficed.

• Like 1

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

Cam, pistons, exhaust, a desire to tinker. You can run a bavaria fuel pump from a 6 cylinder and that will feed the 45's.

If I was a hair closer to pulling my 45's off I'd maybe make you a deal. I'm ready for EFI and to be done tinkering...🙃

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

Use the smallest carburetor/s to supply what you need. Over-carbureting is one of the biggest mistakes made by the idea of bigger is better contingency. I kind of think of it in stages. Street: Bone stock or with a 284º= 32/36 down draft. 292º, shorty header, 10:1 = 38/38 down draft or 40DCOEs. 300 or 304º, 10-11:1, lite head work, larger primary longer header = 38/38 or 45DCOEs. Race only: 316º, 11-12:1 = modified 38/38 or 45DCOEs. 328º, 12:1, 45DCOEs. 336º, >12:1, 48DCOs.

Lynx and 45DCOE, nope. (sorry, not a fan)

Just to clarify, these are general recipes. Like all recipes, they have all been tried in our test kitchen, but you need to season it to your own taste. The idea is to deter you from bad ideas like putting 48s on your stocker, or pineapple on your pizza. 

Edited by Furry Camel
Wwjd?
  • Like 1