• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stout Rocker Arm Suggestions

70deluxe

Hello.  

Going through a build modification and looking for your input.  Have built a stroker motor utilizing a Schrick 316 cam.  Intended use was/is a hot street car.  While I have enjoyed the power of the current setup, it has caused a few headaches.  I am looking to downgrade from the Schrick 316 cam to the Schrick 304 cam.  Figure I will still enjoy some of the same power but perhaps it will be more "turnkey".  

I will be using a new head, as the 316 requires you to bore out to accommodate the lobes.  

My questions is, what might you all recommend as far as rocker arms?  

I did find this thread and wondering what your thoughts might be as well as other heavy duty alternatives?

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/215293-found-some-awesome-rockers/#comment-1239810

Thank you in advance, as always.

Edited by 70deluxe

• 70deluxe changed the title to Stout Rocker Arm Suggestions
VAC-PRAS-M10-M303.jpg
STORE.VACMOTORSPORTS.COM

Our VAC Aluminum Rocker Arms are here to dispel the myth that heavy steel rockers are needed to maintain reliable performance and sacrifice high RPM stability.

or

Both work well for a 304.

For serious use with 316 - KM.

For 304 without banging limiter all the time IE HD is more than enough. I did use them few years racing with 316 without issue.

Valve springs is another question, but related.

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

No idea- how fast are you going to turn it?

With a "304" the Febi rockers, selected and polished,

will sit at 7250 all day.

With a mildly stiffer valve spring and stock weight valves.

And no metallurgical questions whatsoever.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Headaches comment above is in reference to a broken rocker arm, among a few other things.  With this next round looking to tune things down just a bit and make this build bullet proof.  As a result, looking to avoid any parts that failed or potentially caused problems.  

I know it could be many variables that caused said "headaches" but trying to eliminate obvious problems and additional modification expenses such as those associated with the 316.  

I do have an MSD and can set the rev limiter where needed.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.  Keep them coming.

8 hours ago, 70deluxe said:

Headaches comment above is in reference to a broken rocker arm, among a few other things.  With this next round looking to tune things down just a bit and make this build bullet proof.  As a result, looking to avoid any parts that failed or potentially caused problems.  

Then drop the double springs. Single Schrick spring 000202090 is good for a 304° double springs just add unnecessary stress to the rocker.

Edited by uai

Never heard of these but they look stout:  https://schrick.com/en/Rocker-arm-BMW-M10-M30/000213068-01

Me, I’ve been running IE race-prepped rockers (w/IE dual-springs, SS valves, Ti retainers, Alu keepers) with a Schrick 304 going on 17 years now. I safely redline at 7300, and always enjoys my upper revs..

• Like 2

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com