• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions: intake, ft bumper, ft shocks

Pablo M

Newish to me 1972 2002tii:

First, looks like I have rear bumperettes on my front bumper. Can I just remove them?image.thumb.jpeg.ec9b2955db27b2ac34d361a188133259.jpeg

Next, have an issue with the bumper connection at the ends of bumper. Early bumper, and late front clip on my 72 (but original early 1972 fenders). 
Is this gap typical or a result of the early bumper with late front? 
image.thumb.jpeg.bbf0e53b00d1cfa95920b53eb81102f1.jpeg

Couple intake questions. 

First, my 72 has the plastic intake runners. Engine runs rough and honestly I haven’t even started to address it as I have other priorities with the car at the moment (brakes) but noticed the runners don’t look well seated at the intake manifold. 
back two:

image.thumb.jpeg.d4df81090ccaa970b90234f7dd631747.jpeg

front two:

image.thumb.jpeg.f7d688fa9055f64063947ab9c606deba.jpeg
How should I address this? Does this look like obvious vacuum leak? 

my other intake question is about the boot between the air filter housing and the intake. The boot looks like it’s either the wrong one or messed up and trimmed so it  could be re snugged further down the boot (on intake side)

image.thumb.jpeg.8b7c3683b63c9bf4d7ac944cfb024675.jpeg
Is it right and/or should I replace?

last, front shock question:

I got these front shocks, Bilstein B8’s (as part of a lot of parts hoping to get them on my car.
image.thumb.jpeg.1bbdafc4110fed5f38706adf70b9ea25.jpeg

When I researched I noticed there was an early version of struts and a later version. I checked and Lois like my struts are early. Can someone confirm if I can use these front shocks on my 72 struts? 
my struts-
image.thumb.jpeg.fd0c77edecd0c960603b0f49463ff7ee.jpeg

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Lot's of questions        what I know

not so sure on the frt overriders     need more pictures.   You could take them off but you will have an unfinished end of the impact rubber showing and you will see the bumper bolt that holds it all together

There is a gap between the bumper end and the fender, I use 1/2 of an old sway bar bushing ( just cut one in half with a hacksaw )

It looks like the PO put rubber hose around the plastic tubes to maybe fix an air leak?   to be able to tighten down harder on the clamps?     Whatever, you had better take it all off and inspect the runners for cracks and get the proper clamps 

Yes, take it off, throw it over the fence into your neighbors pool     It's worn out, overstretched and just plain ugly    and get the right clamps  with a new bellows

Shocks should work fine, do you have the special gland nuts ( only for Bilstein ) that screw onto the strut to hold the shocks in place, can't use the original ones that are in there.

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1

I'll let the tii experts comment on those plastic runners.  They were fitted to the first 1700 or so 72 tii's, but then the factory switched to metal runners due to the plastic ones cracking.

Bumpers:  IIRC the cutouts on the front guards aren't symmetrical like the rears.  Thus I don't believe rear bumper guards will fit on front bumpers and not be pointing all catty-wampus. 

As for the gap between the fender and bumper end (at both ends of the car).  What's supposed to go there is a carriage bolt, covered by one or more thick rubber spacers.  Note that the slot in the bumper is open at one end; there's a reason for that:  install the carriage bolt with its head in that slot, but don't over-tighten--just enough to keep the bumper end from shaking.  Thusly installed, if someone backs into you (or you back into something), the carriage bolt will pop out of its slot and prevent the bumper from tearing the body sheet metal at the bolt's other end.  

AFAIK Bilstein only makes two sets of shocks/struts for a 2002--an OEM equivalent, and a much stiffer sport version.  But the catalog says all 02s, 1968-76 use the same ones.

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

This intake runners look terrible and probably have vacuum leaks. The plastic intake runners are supposed to go over the metal casting, and use an O ring to seal to the casting. I bet the PO cut the flange off the plastic intake runners and use those rubber couplings instead. Looks pretty rough.  New plastic runners are $130 each, plus O rings and clamps, will cost your $500 to return to stock.

You can still buy the rubber coupling between the air box and the manifold

Get rid of all those crappy hose clamps.

On the bumper, there is supposed to be a bolt on the corner with a rubber spacer.

image.png.df1aa798c2a334fa0ac352c2d7771849.png

• Like 3

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

When you change the front strut shock inserts and put the Bilstein shocks in, save the oe cap.  These are wanted to buy items from time to time.

• Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

One problem I see with your intake pipes is the hose clamps are facing in the same direction and in the picture of the rear you can see the gap that is pulled into the hose by that, try reversing one clamp on each intake and see if that helps.

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

15 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Newish to me 1972 2002tii:

First, looks like I have rear bumperettes on my front bumper. Can I just remove them?image.thumb.jpeg.ec9b2955db27b2ac34d361a188133259.jpeg

Next, have an issue with the bumper connection at the ends of bumper. Early bumper, and late front clip on my 72 (but original early 1972 fenders). 
Is this gap typical or a result of the early bumper with late front?

Believe your 72 bumper guards are standard to include the back bumper guards.  I had early 02 bumpers on mine until I converted the bumper guards to a true Euro bumper look.   Before and after pics of my 74 tii.  I had to order the rear center piece (with license plate light holes), license plate lights, rear rubber strip, seam covers and mounting hardware.    These are Euro model specific parts and BMWNA will not allow U.S. dealers to sell the parts to 02 owners unless they show proof that (VIN on registration) that your 02 is a Euro spec model.  AMHIK, that's why I had to order the parts from WallothNesch.  I wanted my tii to have a  Euro spec look, the side marker lights/reflectors were deleted during a repaint nearly 13 years ago. 

image_url-32299-1388273345.jpg

IMG_4473.jpg

13230174_1405865609430962_7939840583216488232_n.jpg

306489213_10222690747163266_4978461359606869011_n.jpg

• Like 1

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

23 hours ago, stephers said:

Yes, take it off, throw it over the fence into your neighbors pool     It's worn out, overstretched and just plain ugly    and get the right clamps  with a new bellows

Shocks should work fine, do you have the special gland nuts ( only for Bilstein ) that screw onto the strut to hold the shocks in place, can't use the original ones that are in there.

Thanks, Rick

No gland nut but I sourced new from Ireland Engineering so I'm good to go. 

22 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Those intake runners look like aftermarket metal ones sold by Top End Performance. 

I would suggest new couplers and clamps.

If you don't have the Bilstein gland nutd for the strut cartridges Ireland Engineering sells them.

22 hours ago, Mike Self said:

I'll let the tii experts comment on those plastic runners.  They were fitted to the first 1700 or so 72 tii's, but then the factory switched to metal runners due to the plastic ones cracking.

Bumpers:  IIRC the cutouts on the front guards aren't symmetrical like the rears.  Thus I don't believe rear bumper guards will fit on front bumpers and not be pointing all catty-wampus. 

As for the gap between the fender and bumper end (at both ends of the car).  What's supposed to go there is a carriage bolt, covered by one or more thick rubber spacers.  Note that the slot in the bumper is open at one end; there's a reason for that:  install the carriage bolt with its head in that slot, but don't over-tighten--just enough to keep the bumper end from shaking.  Thusly installed, if someone backs into you (or you back into something), the carriage bolt will pop out of its slot and prevent the bumper from tearing the body sheet metal at the bolt's other end.  

AFAIK Bilstein only makes two sets of shocks/struts for a 2002--an OEM equivalent, and a much stiffer sport version.  But the catalog says all 02s, 1968-76 use the same ones.

mike

16 hours ago, Stevenc22 said:

This intake runners look terrible and probably have vacuum leaks. The plastic intake runners are supposed to go over the metal casting, and use an O ring to seal to the casting. I bet the PO cut the flange off the plastic intake runners and use those rubber couplings instead. Looks pretty rough.  New plastic runners are $130 each, plus O rings and clamps, will cost your $500 to return to stock.

You can still buy the rubber coupling between the air box and the manifold

On the bumper, there is supposed to be a bolt on the corner with a rubber spacer.

image.png.df1aa798c2a334fa0ac352c2d7771849.png

$500?! Ouch. That will have to wait for a bit, unless the car becomes undrivable. Its not currently, although it doesnt run well. 

I figured there was a rubber spacer but didnt think it would be so big. Your photo looks like mine so confirms mine is correct, just missing the hardware. I wish I didnt throw away my old sway bar link bushings to use there. 

9 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

One problem I see with your intake pipes is the hose clamps are facing in the same direction and in the picture of the rear you can see the gap that is pulled into the hose by that, try reversing one clamp on each intake and see if that helps.

I think you mentioned that before. I plan to do that but havent gotten to it yet. Brakes and suspension first. Will probably address that right afterward. 

8 hours ago, Gordon said:

Believe your 72 bumper guards are standard to include the back bumper guards.  I had early 02 bumpers on mine until I converted the bumper guards to a true Euro bumper look.   

image_url-32299-1388273345.jpg

Thanks! Your 'before' photo looks just like mine. I had only ever seen/noticed the euro front bumper guards and didnt realize they were not standard on US cars. Thanks for confirming I have the right ones. 

Thanks everyone. I answered individually above.

I don't have the gland nut for the Bilsteins but will get them. Thanks. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Those hoses on the intake runners look more like radiator hose material and stiff.   Look around for some hoses that are specifically used for the air charge pipes on turbo setups.  They are reinforced thin wall and much more easy to seal from air leaks.

WWW.SILICONEINTAKES.COM

Silicone Hose for every project.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.