Jump to content
  • When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine rebuild?


rdeeble

Recommended Posts

Saw this on Ebay this morning....

does this pricing seem a little too good to be true? 
Most folks I have spoken to seem to be in the range of 9-10K for a stock  engine rebuild.
 

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Condition is Remanufactured. We have a M10 Engine for BMW 320i E21 as well. Does not include any accessories or pulleys.

 

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thats been on Ebay for some time.

I could probably bring a similar engine in for that here in my

garage but I dont charge myself labor😉

I hate the term "Remanufactured" even more than "rebuilt"

Remanufactured is restored to factory new specs usually by the "manufacturer"itself or an approved rep. No new pistons, its not a"rebuild" or a"reman"

Having said all that and semantics aside, it could be a decent "overhaul" but I have no direct experience with the seller. Maybe only one way to find out, take the plunge. Reach out to them, ask about the pistons/rings side clearance.

The $1500 core charge must also be considered but I think the fact that they want a core is a positive indication.

 

Actually I dont hate the term "Remanufactured" or "Rebuilt", what I hate is how they are so often inaccurately applied

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd ask some questions about the rebuild before plunking down $$$:

  • since the pistons weren't replaced, how many miles on the engine before the rebuild.
  • are the pistons standard, or an over bore?
  • was the crank turned, polished or ??
  • Standard or oversize bearings?
  • were the timing chain sprockets replaced?
  • Rocker arms replaced? Rocker shafts replaced
  • Valves (esp exhaust) replaced or just ground
  • Valve guides replaced? stem seals renewed with the late style seals?
  • Head surfaced or at least checked for flatness?
  • Pilot bearing replaced?
  • flywheel resurfaced?
  • condition of ring gear?

I'm sure others will add to the list above, but the fewer items replaced, the less of a "rebuild" or "remanufacture" it is and the more of a refurbishment.

 

mike

  • Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tech71 said:

Remanufactured is restored to factory new specs usually by the "manufacturer"itself or an approved rep. No new pistons, its not a"rebuild" or a"reman"

Having said all that and semantics aside, it could be a decent "overhaul" but I have no direct experience with the seller.

 

Thanks that's a very helpful clarification.

 

Here's a separate question - Curious what everyone thinks about the value of a vehicle maintaining same VIN for engine and body? I'm probably about a year out before I can do an engine rebuild (which I am hoping to have Patrick Oneil do for me).  I saved my old m10 from my parts car and could easily drop it off to have rebuilt while I am still driving.

I could however, invest a little more $ and have the spare engine bench tested first, then swaped to drive on it while the "original engine" gets rebuilt (I recognize that bench testing is not 100%).  That would probably be about $2k in additional expense to keep VIN the same should everything go ok (and sadly $3.5 wasted if not) .

Maybe this is a separate topic, how much more valuable is a well maintained late model 02 with original rebuilt engine vs a multi VIN 02?

 

 

Edited by rdeeble

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, rdeeble said:



Maybe this is a separate topic, how much more valuable is a well maintained late model 02 with original rebuilt engine vs a multi VIN 02?

 

 

Unless its a pristine concourse queen/BAT candidate... probably not much.

Both my 02s will receive other VIN engines but,

I do plan on keeping both original short blocks.

Just in case

Edited by tech71
  • Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, rdeeble said:

Saw this on Ebay this morning....

does this pricing seem a little too good to be true? 
Most folks I have spoken to seem to be in the range of 9-10K for a stock  engine rebuild.
 

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.COM

Condition is Remanufactured. We have a M10 Engine for BMW 320i E21 as well. Does not include any accessories or pulleys.

 

Terry Sayther can build you a motor for around that price. And he's built more than a few!

 

Cheers,

  • Like 2

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ray_ said:

Terry Sayther can build you a motor for around that price. And he's built more than a few!

 

Cheers,

Ray is correct, Terry Sayther has rebuilt five for me over the last few years…even let me let me set and watch… . Terry wearing a a T-shirt he had made  saying that I am Skoda car club of America president…

740CC1F9-D1F5-4E62-AAEC-067FB259E74F.jpeg

F4ED454F-FA77-4D0C-8085-01D0E143B360.jpeg

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

 

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MarcD said:

 

Maybe I'm in the wrong here but that sounds outrageous for a stock M10. That's metric mechanic rally engine money. 


Depends on who is doing the rebuild, precisely what needs to be replaced, and the level of the stock engine — stock 9.5 tii pistons, for instance, will cost you appreciably more than stock 8.1 pistons. At this point in M10 history, most pistons need replacement, many (most?) heads are iffy, valves and valves guides may or may not meet specs — but do you really want to put those 200,000-mile valves back in your new engine? I’d say the $9-10K amount is a reasonable estimate for a largely stock rebuild by a known quality rebuilder, assuming, again, that you don’t want to put a lot of 50-year-old parts back into the engine!

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

  • Like 4

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, BarneyT said:

Terry wearing a a T-shirt he had made  saying that I am Skoda car club of America president…

Heck, Barney, I thought you were the Lloyd club president...

  • Haha 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

assuming, again, that you don’t want to put a lot of 50-year-old parts back into the engine!

They might be of higher quality than new ones :wacko:, really.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

 

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Conserv said:

Depends on who is doing the rebuild, precisely what needs to be replaced, and the level of the stock engine — stock 9.5 tii pistons, for instance, will cost you appreciably more than stock 8.1 pistons. At this point in M10 history, most pistons need replacement, many (most?) heads are iffy, valves and valves guides may or may not meet specs — but do you really want to put those 200,000-mile valves back in your new engine? I’d say the $9-10K amount is a reasonable estimate for a largely stock rebuild by a known quality rebuilder, assuming, again, that you don’t want to put a lot of 50-year-old parts back into the engine!

 

Well written, Steve (per usual).

 

For a data point on engine build levels, here's an example of a summary* build spec sheet (*yeah, there's plenty of additional specs recorded - and some secret sauce not shown). -KB

 

engine-build-sheet-sample_1222-1.thumb.jpg.4adbfec782510a6b60e97ed40b5f3f23.jpg

engine-build-sheet-sample_1222-2.thumb.jpg.ba96500fc0ea8df5ab596de74cde74bd.jpgengine-build-crate-engine-1.thumb.jpg.62e70fdd9818aab82b5eb73dae2bb7c9.jpg

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, tech71 said:

Unless its a pristine concourse queen/BAT candidate... probably not much.

Both my 02s will receive other VIN engines but,

I do plan on keeping both original short blocks.

Just in case

That's good to hear - puts it all in a better perspective

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Conserv said:


Depends on who is doing the rebuild, precisely what needs to be replaced, and the level of the stock engine — stock 9.5 tii pistons, for instance, will cost you appreciably more than stock 8.1 pistons. At this point in M10 history, most pistons need replacement, many (most?) heads are iffy, valves and valves guides may or may not meet specs — but do you really want to put those 200,000-mile valves back in your new engine? I’d say the $9-10K amount is a reasonable estimate for a largely stock rebuild by a known quality rebuilder, assuming, again, that you don’t want to put a lot of 50-year-old parts back into the engine!

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 


Well put Steve - makes sense

'76 02 (Nellie) daily driver since '94

'76 02 (Oscar) sunroof restore since '10

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

  • Supporting Vendors

×
×
  • Create New...