• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High performance fuels / 'winter hibernation' fuel

quant

Does anybody have experience with 'purer fuels', such as high performance fuels, which can also be used for winter 'hibernation', because the fuel doesn't degrade (as much) ?

I have heard about e.g.

And I'm sure there are others (which are also available in Europe).

Some questions I have, I hope this community has experience with:

• Is there really a difference between filling your tank with this fuel compared to 'regular' e.g. Shell V-Power 98 (RON 98) which also claims to be ethanol free or BP Ultimate (or ARAL Ultimate if you live in Germany) - if so, what are the differences; e.g. better starting after a 3-month 'hibernation', better performance, cleaner fuel system, .... ?

• When filling your car with such a 'purer fuel', is it still wise to add a 'fuel additive' for e.g. a lead replacer?
    When I fill my car up with e.g. Shell V-Power, I still always add Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus (see e.g. https://www.millersoils.co.uk/products/vspe-power-plus-multi-shot/ , said to be / claims to be: 1. octane booster, 2. lead replacement, 3. ethanol killer)

• To what extent do these 'purer fuels' (which I believe also claim to be more 'higher performance' type of fuels) really deliver more performance, or does that only work if you really tweak / adjust your fueling and ignition system? (e.g. optimise your carburetor jets, ignition timing, etc. to really work with this fuel)
    As - as a safety measure - I have set the carburetors/fueling and ignition up based on RON 95 fuel, even though I usually fill it up with RON 98 (e.g. Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate); but you cannot always get RON 98 fuel everywhere, e.g. when participating in international events

Looking forward to reading experiences and better understanding when such 'special fuels' make sense, and if anybody has experience with multiple brands/types of these fuels.

Edited by quant

BMW 2002ti (March 1970, Malaga)

• quant changed the title to High performance fuels / 'winter hibernation' fuel
43 minutes ago, quant said:

Does anybody have experience with 'purer fuels', such as high performance fuels, which can also be used for winter 'hibernation', because the fuel doesn't degrade (as much) ?

you are requesting a lot of info, I have little experience with the high performance fuel grades available over there but I do have experience with Aviation fuel. 100LL (low lead) Judging by the way it would run in an M10 engine (or a 115HP outboard) I would classify it as high performance. It would stay fresh longer than Mo gas but still go bad if it sat for more than a year.

All gasoline goes stale and breaks down in time.

Winter fuel practices are simple, fill the tank fully with fresh fuel of your choice after adding some fuel stabilizer, 3, 4 months later at winters end you drive your car and burn up that fuel long before it begins to break down..

Ethanol free is always good.

Keeping the tank completely full reduces condensation/water build up.

Yes , when available I used 100 octane leaded fuel in my 02 and boat years ago, both loved the fuel.

But today I would not dream of burning leaded fuel, even if it was free.I was stupid, that shit is toxic.

61vAV2GSWcS._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by tech71
  • Like 4

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

I also use Stabil on cars that will be standing 6 months plus. It works.

Fuel has changed over the years, I have found that cars stored with unstabilised fuel develop internal corrosion in the fuel system...most prominent is the greenish 'fur' that blocks brass jets and valves in carburettors. 30+ years ago, cars that had lain in storage for years could be started with just a fresh battery...now the fuel system needs a good clean before there's any chance for the car to start.

Seems @quantis in UK given some of the terminology...there the base fuel is same independent of brand - it all comes from same local refinery in different parts of country , the only difference is the additive pack they throw in with it.

Also be aware that fuel is different between summer and winter, with more cheap low-boiling alkanes added in winter (because they are less likely to evaporate in winter).

Use Stabil.

• Like 5

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

What they said.

I store three cars every winter. Full tank of Shell ethanol free (most important), Stabil and methyl hydrade gas line anti freeze. Seems to work.

I don't know if m10 needs lead additive. I've not had valve problems, but I've read some cars do.

7 hours ago, Hans said:

Question is, does it need that? I've never gone big miles between valve jobs. I got the impression stock seats were hardened enough.

The machinist I used for several pieces of work, who did a lot of work on foreign cars, said BMW valves/seats weren't affected by unleaded gas.

• Like 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

897557AD-3C0F-4DD5-9E45-72C48F42FE9D.thumb.jpeg.b25de020e3992fe4e3630f33490028fe.jpegI do not wish to be disrepectful to anyone,

but I don't overthink the issue of storing my car for a few months. Here is my complete process which always turns out fine:

1) fill car with alcohol-free gas / add stabil

2) disconnect battery

3) fill all orifices with dryer sheets

4) put the car cover on

5) make sure my bathing suit is packed

and grab a cab to the airport

And that's all she wrote!

• Like 1

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"

10 hours ago, Hans said:

Pump up the tires?

no need to so far 

10 hours ago, tech71 said:

You mean you dont put it on blocks?

What? no battery maintainer? What kind of dryer sheets? If you dont use Snuggle you are wasting your money.

No blocks required

No battery maintainer (I've had the same autozone battery for many years and it's an energizer bunny)

I use generic Canadian dryer sheets that work great but I don't recall the brand name at the moment. And there are plenty of mice where I live.

EDIT: I use this procedure for 3-4 months, never longer.

Edited by kiva667

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"