• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '74 tii on Jalopnik

Aaron R

Hi all - 

I finally got ahold of my dream 02 back in August, and submitted the story to Jalopnik earlier this fall. It just went live here: 

2371b4a16d4d9ab8b65b16696e901f38.jpg
JALOPNIK.COM

This isn't just a dream car. It's the actual car that launched my lifelong automotive obsession when I was a kid. Now, after 25 years, it's finally mine.

Figured I'd share with a like-minded bunch. Hope you enjoy!

• Like 6

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

Excellent story...where in Florida was it residing for the past 20+ years, and how come California plates?  I pursued a car from 1972 to 1987, so know how you feel when it's finally yours...

Keep us posted on your progress.  You have two goals--get 'er running to bring to Mid America in April, and/or Vintage in May 2023...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Excellent story...where in Florida was it residing for the past 20+ years, and how come California plates?  I pursued a car from 1972 to 1987, so know how you feel when it's finally yours...

Keep us posted on your progress.  You have two goals--get 'er running to bring to Mid America in April, and/or Vintage in May 2023...

mike

Mike - It was in north central Florida not far from Gainesville. Had been in California for a time before that and ended up parked before the plates were changed. Car also had spent time in Va., and wears an old Va. inspection sticker as a result. 

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk

I read in the article where your fuel tank is gummed up. It it turns out you have rust also, I was able to use electrolytic rust removal for cleaning up the inside of the gas tank on my tii. I used a couple of PVC end caps with holes punched in the like wheels to hold the rebar that I used as the anode off the surface of the tank. It worked well for me. 

Barrett 

Edited by BarrettN
  • Like 2

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

Highly recommend you spend a  lot of time in this website from someone who has been there and done that regarding restoration of a 74 tii. 

WWW.MY2002TII.COM

My 1974 BMW 2002tii restoration project, including details, photographs, lessons learned and more

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I have posted some questions here about the car, but you’re all correct — it needs a build thread. I’ll start one to get us up to date. I was hesitant to start a thread till I had the Jalop piece done and published. I expect I’ll do another story on it at some point, but by then you’ll all be caught up. 

• Like 1

'74 2002tii 

Maximum honk