• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear subframe mount question

SplitDash

Hi guys,

Currently working my way through the rust and I'm attacking the interior floor above the mounts.

What's the rubbery stuff around the mounting stud and is it needed ? was it a cap at some stage in its life?

It is/was almost completely degraded and is just goo on the other side.

Does the hole serve a purpose ?

Thanks!

PXL_20221115_180642936.thumb.jpg.4c2efa89fa944c17e3e56668004bcfb2.jpgPXL_20221115_190321297.thumb.jpg.994c7b71407bb30d1017450a12e95c15.jpg

Some type of an insulator between steel sheets i guess. Not needed unless going for hc over cooked super resto.

Hole? The round "hole" or pit is for subframe end bolt. Don't fill it or changing that bolt becomes unnecessarily difficult.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

8 hours ago, SplitDash said:

There's no patch in the pictures I posted.

Not yet anyway.

Yours has some kind of bung in the hole.

That's what I'm asking about. 

You're telling me that rectangular piece of something with a hole in it isn't a patch? Sure looks like a repair.

• Like 2

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

2 hours ago, NYNick said:

You're telling me that rectangular piece of something with a hole in it isn't a patch? Sure looks like a repair.

So, I’m with @NYNick on this one. I four bottles of wine into dinner with customers so maybe I’m too loopy to understand, but Photo one is before and photo two is after right? Meaning photo two is after you cleaned off the “goo.” If so, that rectangle sure looks like a patch to me. 

again, I’m a bit hammered so maybe I’m not looking at this right.

• Haha 1

Can't swear to it because I didn't delve into that section on my '69 to that depth, but I think this picture shows  the actual floorpan metal cut away to expose the stamping that's spot-welded to it to provide reinforcement for the subframe mount.  If you look carefully at NY Nick's photo, you'll see the same line of spot welds that go front to back just inboard of the cut-out metal in the picture below.  That's where the two pieces are attached.  The lower panel thus exposed in this picture is what that well that holds the subframe mounting bolt in place. 

There's yet a third piece in this area, a portion just barely visible in the small triangle where both floor and reinforcement are missing.  It's the U-channel that's visible beneath the car that the subframe actually rests on.  The forward end of that U-channel is tapered to mate with that sloped section of floor/reinforcement.  That's where it usually rusts through the floor, so this one isn't too bad--yet.  Needs some reinforcement to make up for the missing floorpan piece, but is ultimately salvageable. 

mike 

image.png.b42b6d4896211865aff6ab941f86dadd.png

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Can't swear to it because I didn't delve into that section on my '69 to that depth, but I think this picture shows  the actual floorpan metal cut away to expose the stamping that's spot-welded to it to provide reinforcement for the subframe mount. 

Bingo !

Have I taken one of those black dress/ white dress pictures? 😁

You are looking through the floor at the top of the subframe mount.

If your car doesn't have this "horrible" repair then you are in big trouble!

Don't get your panties in a bunch. You have rectangular cut marks on the floor metal. There's a hole in your floor where it's usually solid. There are no spot welds where there should be and the remaining metal looks to have some type of irregular indentations or filler on it. How did we know you cut or ground the top piece of metal away?

5 hours ago, SplitDash said:

Bingo !

Have I taken one of those black dress/ white dress pictures? 😁

You are looking through the floor at the top of the subframe mount.

If your car doesn't have this "horrible" repair then you are in big trouble!

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

1 minute ago, NYNick said:

Don't get your panties in a bunch. You have rectangular cut marks on the floor metal. There's a hole in your floor where it's usually solid. There are no spot welds where there should be and the remaining metal looks to have some type of irregular indentations or filler on it. How did we know you cut or ground the top piece of metal away?

Calm your tits.

You were wrong and that's the end of it.

thanks for the picture

• Like 1

Looks fairly rusted though.. Mine looked great from the outside, inside not so much.

If you are able to, I would remove the is all and start fresh again.

The thick plate that's showing in your second picture is already pretty rust pitted as well.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3