• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Metric Mechanic defunct?

schuetz1619

Might be a family emergency.  I've been to their shop and the overhead is not very demanding in that small town to think it's an economic situation.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow forum folks, just a quick introduction as I'm a complete noob on the forum, but picked up a 1973 Bailal Blue 2002 a few months ago and finally decided to dig into the motor.

The former owner was pretty sure that the motor was done by Metric Mechanic, so I decided to give them a call and got to speak with both Teddy and Jim this week.  As it turns out, Jim built the motor  a couple decades ago when the car lived in Kansas City.  Teddy and Jim are amazing people.  Old school, real-deal folks and I'm honored to know that my motor was done by them.  

• Like 3

1973 Baikal Blue 2002

• 3 weeks later...

I spoke with Jim at MM today. He had bypass surgery two weeks ago and is now back in the shop. MM is busy as ever, I will wind up waiting for a year for my motor.

I had a fascinating 45 minute discussion with Jim about piston design, piston skirt flexibility, etc. and he's pretty excited about a new billet design he's developed. I know just enough from a time long ago when I did mechanical/hydraulic engineering to be able to follow him. It's pretty refreshing to hear the excitement in someone's voice when they talk something new that they thought up, and I'm pretty excited to get my motor next year.

Edited by gwb72tii
  • Like 1

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”