• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humming steering box on tii

schuetz1619

When I turn the steering wheel there is a pitched hum that increases in volume the further the wheel is turned. Perhaps it was there previously, but I don't recall it until yesterday. 

Any ideas on why this could be occurring /what it means? There's no oil leakage that I can see or feel.

Many thanks.

P.S.  I think of the steering box as "new." Looking back on my records I installed my "new" box 96,000 miles ago in 1998.  Still . . .

24 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Teach it the words?

t

votes for dry bearings in the steering column

Why would he want to dry the bearings?

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

The rubber disc where the idler arm connects to the center link makes a humming noise when I turn the wheel, if it runs out of lubrication.  I think it may have something to do with being close to the down pipe.  I just squirt some oily stuff on it and the noise goes away.  Lately, I've decided I kind of like the little groaning noise it makes.  

Tom

votes for dry 'bushing' in the center link.

17 hours ago, ray_ said:

Why would he want to dry the bearings?

:D

because if they stay drunk too long, they'll never be able to steer straight again...

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL