• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need outside source opinions!!

Dane

What’s up folks, im calling on the vets to help me out, I’m looking to get a 2002 for a fun project/learning experience. I’ve been watching the market on and off for a while and pretty vigilantly as of late, we’ll I found I pretty nice looking 75 2002 with only minor surface rust, the only off putting thing is it doesn’t run, the seller says it needs a new fuel pump and the lower radiator hose is missing, he also mentions the engine will start when gas is poured in the carb, besides the two obvious issues, are there any other mechanical warning signs I should look for when I go to examine the car ? And do you have any opinions on what may lurk beneath when I buy the car, im young and this will be the first car engine I really work on, thank you 

If the rest of the car is nice and you get a good price it’s worth taking the risk.  I wonder why seller wouldn’t spend a few dollars to get it running if it’s such a simple fix. It’s worth a lot more as a running car.  Just my opinion

Looks like someone stole the thermostat and lower hoses.

These old m10 engines are pretty tough, if it starts with some gas it probably doesn't need a whole lot.

The first thing I do when checking a motor out is take the oil cap off and look at the color of the oil on the parts inside. It should be golden to brown but not black.

Definitely open the trunk and check the rear shock towers and spare tire well for rust. Take a good look underneath for rust, especially the Lowe rockers and pedal box.

Where are you located?

Someone here on the forum might be close to you and could help look at the car.

Wiper arms gone too. Wonder what else is missing. 

If it's cheap (that is only for you to judge) and you feel a little adventurous then go for it. It might be good or done. More pics or better yet get someone experienced to look it over. GL

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

17 hours ago, Dane said:

I found I pretty nice looking 75 2002 with only minor surface rust,

Thats possible but highly unlikely.The car is 47 years old. Assume nothing, believe nothing.

Get a sharp awl and start probing, outer rocker panels, any bubblely looking areas on shock towers, look closely! Lay down on the ground with a strong flashlight and spend some time looking at cars underside. If seller objects leave.

So many areas prone to rust, under vent window trim, under front and rear window rubber gaskets, firewall beneath heater box, junction of inner rocker and floor pans, around sunroof if installed, pedal box, bottom of doors, gas tank at the flange, to name a few.

Stand back and eyeball from different angles, look straight? Bumpers even on both sides from the ground? 

Is the paint the cars original factory color?

Best to take along an old (or young) 02 guy when inspecting if possible.

Impossible to verify condition of numerous systems with a non running car.

Where is this car located? 

A solid relatively rust free body is rare and highly desirable .

17 hours ago, Dane said:

he also mentions the engine will start when gas is poured in the carb,

So what, doesn't mean its a decent engine, if it was a runner why isn't it running/drivable? Assume the engine is nothing more than a core until proved otherwise and bargain accordingly.

How long has it been a basket case?

Clean available title? Not reconstructed or salvage? In sellers name? The stories people spin about titles can be quite hilarious.

Dont get all "I want it"and end up with an expensive turd.

Stay calm, rational, OBJECTIVE!

Need more pics.

Above is just a drop in the bucket, good luck😁

Edited by tech71
  • Like 3

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Thanks for the responses, I’m young but also old enough to have been burnt by rushing into things before so I’ll get some more pictures up for you guys to check out. From what I can see in the pictures the rust really is minimal I haven’t seen the undercarriage yet, but when I go check the car out I’m gonna give it a full run down as best I can. Looks to be factory paint, I’ll ask the seller, it looks like sienabraun to me. Talking with the owner it’s been sitting for at least a year which is around when he bought it, it has a clean non op title in his name. You guys are asking all the same questions I’ve been asking in my head, I’ve looked around and found fuel pumps mechanical and electrical easy and a radiator hose kit for a few hundred dollars seem like easy fixes, it looks like a newer battery in the car too which makes me a little weary that there was an effort made to get the car running and it just didn’t work out. I’m lucky to have some family that are pretty handy mechanical to come check it out with me, we’re thinking of bringing a small container of gas and hose to keep gas flowing to the carb and see how long she runs. I’m located in central California and the car is pretty close by. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2022 at 9:05 AM, tech71 said:

Thats possible but highly unlikely.The car is 47 years old. Assume nothing, believe nothing.

Get a sharp awl and start probing, outer rocker panels, any bubblely looking areas on shock towers, look closely! Lay down on the ground with a strong flashlight and spend some time looking at cars underside. If seller objects leave.

So many areas prone to rust, under vent window trim, under front and rear window rubber gaskets, firewall beneath heater box, junction of inner rocker and floor pans, around sunroof if installed, pedal box, bottom of doors, gas tank at the flange, to name a few.

Stand back and eyeball from different angles, look straight? Bumpers even on both sides from the ground? 

Is the paint the cars original factory color?

Best to take along an old (or young) 02 guy when inspecting if possible.

Impossible to verify condition of numerous systems with a non running car.

Where is this car located? 

A solid relatively rust free body is rare and highly desirable .

So what, doesn't mean its a decent engine, if it was a runner why isn't it running/drivable? Assume the engine is nothing more than a core until proved otherwise and bargain accordingly.

How long has it been a basket case?

Clean available title? Not reconstructed or salvage? In sellers name? The stories people spin about titles can be quite hilarious.

Dont get all "I want it"and end up with an expensive turd.

Stay calm, rational, OBJECTIVE!

Need more pics.

Above is just a drop in the bucket, good luck😁

Hey tech71,

Detailed comments like yours are what make this site such a great place! Your honest and frank opinions are so invaluable. Listen to him Dane. Ask somebody in this area from this website for help and to go look at it. You will be amazed by the people you will "meet"(virtually or in person). Good luck, you are going down a slippery slope! :) These are cool cars, but so f-ing addictive...

• Like 2

Life is short, enjoy the ride!
L'Ultimo Ciclista, 200Km race, Nove Colli 2012

1976 Mint Grun

Philip