Jump to content

Need outside source opinions!!


Dane
 Share

Recommended Posts

What’s up folks, im calling on the vets to help me out, I’m looking to get a 2002 for a fun project/learning experience. I’ve been watching the market on and off for a while and pretty vigilantly as of late, we’ll I found I pretty nice looking 75 2002 with only minor surface rust, the only off putting thing is it doesn’t run, the seller says it needs a new fuel pump and the lower radiator hose is missing, he also mentions the engine will start when gas is poured in the carb, besides the two obvious issues, are there any other mechanical warning signs I should look for when I go to examine the car ? And do you have any opinions on what may lurk beneath when I buy the car, im young and this will be the first car engine I really work on, thank you 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dane said:

 do you have any opinions on what may lurk beneath

anyone would have to inspect the car to answer your question

 

unless the motor is blown, getting it to run is pretty easy...i'd guess there is a fuel delivery problem, fuel pump or carb...both easy fixes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If the rest of the car is nice and you get a good price it’s worth taking the risk.  I wonder why seller wouldn’t spend a few dollars to get it running if it’s such a simple fix. It’s worth a lot more as a running car.  Just my opinion

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like someone stole the thermostat and lower hoses.

 

These old m10 engines are pretty tough, if it starts with some gas it probably doesn't need a whole lot.

 

The first thing I do when checking a motor out is take the oil cap off and look at the color of the oil on the parts inside. It should be golden to brown but not black.

 

Definitely open the trunk and check the rear shock towers and spare tire well for rust. Take a good look underneath for rust, especially the Lowe rockers and pedal box.

 

Where are you located?

Someone here on the forum might be close to you and could help look at the car.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Dane said:

I found I pretty nice looking 75 2002 with only minor surface rust,

Thats possible but highly unlikely.The car is 47 years old. Assume nothing, believe nothing.

Get a sharp awl and start probing, outer rocker panels, any bubblely looking areas on shock towers, look closely! Lay down on the ground with a strong flashlight and spend some time looking at cars underside. If seller objects leave.

So many areas prone to rust, under vent window trim, under front and rear window rubber gaskets, firewall beneath heater box, junction of inner rocker and floor pans, around sunroof if installed, pedal box, bottom of doors, gas tank at the flange, to name a few.

Stand back and eyeball from different angles, look straight? Bumpers even on both sides from the ground? 

Is the paint the cars original factory color?

Best to take along an old (or young) 02 guy when inspecting if possible.

Impossible to verify condition of numerous systems with a non running car.

Where is this car located? 

A solid relatively rust free body is rare and highly desirable .

17 hours ago, Dane said:

he also mentions the engine will start when gas is poured in the carb,

So what, doesn't mean its a decent engine, if it was a runner why isn't it running/drivable? Assume the engine is nothing more than a core until proved otherwise and bargain accordingly.

How long has it been a basket case?

Clean available title? Not reconstructed or salvage? In sellers name? The stories people spin about titles can be quite hilarious.

Dont get all "I want it"and end up with an expensive turd.

Stay calm, rational, OBJECTIVE!

Need more pics.

Above is just a drop in the bucket, good luck😁

Edited by tech71
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the responses, I’m young but also old enough to have been burnt by rushing into things before so I’ll get some more pictures up for you guys to check out. From what I can see in the pictures the rust really is minimal I haven’t seen the undercarriage yet, but when I go check the car out I’m gonna give it a full run down as best I can. Looks to be factory paint, I’ll ask the seller, it looks like sienabraun to me. Talking with the owner it’s been sitting for at least a year which is around when he bought it, it has a clean non op title in his name. You guys are asking all the same questions I’ve been asking in my head, I’ve looked around and found fuel pumps mechanical and electrical easy and a radiator hose kit for a few hundred dollars seem like easy fixes, it looks like a newer battery in the car too which makes me a little weary that there was an effort made to get the car running and it just didn’t work out. I’m lucky to have some family that are pretty handy mechanical to come check it out with me, we’re thinking of bringing a small container of gas and hose to keep gas flowing to the carb and see how long she runs. I’m located in central California and the car is pretty close by. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/16/2022 at 9:05 AM, tech71 said:

Thats possible but highly unlikely.The car is 47 years old. Assume nothing, believe nothing.

Get a sharp awl and start probing, outer rocker panels, any bubblely looking areas on shock towers, look closely! Lay down on the ground with a strong flashlight and spend some time looking at cars underside. If seller objects leave.

So many areas prone to rust, under vent window trim, under front and rear window rubber gaskets, firewall beneath heater box, junction of inner rocker and floor pans, around sunroof if installed, pedal box, bottom of doors, gas tank at the flange, to name a few.

Stand back and eyeball from different angles, look straight? Bumpers even on both sides from the ground? 

Is the paint the cars original factory color?

Best to take along an old (or young) 02 guy when inspecting if possible.

Impossible to verify condition of numerous systems with a non running car.

Where is this car located? 

A solid relatively rust free body is rare and highly desirable .

So what, doesn't mean its a decent engine, if it was a runner why isn't it running/drivable? Assume the engine is nothing more than a core until proved otherwise and bargain accordingly.

How long has it been a basket case?

Clean available title? Not reconstructed or salvage? In sellers name? The stories people spin about titles can be quite hilarious.

Dont get all "I want it"and end up with an expensive turd.

Stay calm, rational, OBJECTIVE!

Need more pics.

Above is just a drop in the bucket, good luck😁

Hey tech71,

Detailed comments like yours are what make this site such a great place! Your honest and frank opinions are so invaluable. Listen to him Dane. Ask somebody in this area from this website for help and to go look at it. You will be amazed by the people you will "meet"(virtually or in person). Good luck, you are going down a slippery slope! :) These are cool cars, but so f-ing addictive...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Upcoming Events

×
×
  • Create New...