• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Windshield gasket chrome insert

Tbone1209

That "chrome trim" (actually plastic) fulfills an important role in keeping the windshield flying in formation with the rest of the car.  When properly inserted, it expands the rubber windshield gasket to firmly hold the glass in place.  In the past folks have replaced the plastic trim with black spark plug wire; doing that doesn't fulfill the harder/stiffer plastic insert's duty of expanding the rubber gasket.  

If you want black trim, I believe the proper trim is available in black.  

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, calw said:

The connector costs more than the strip (!) on their website

For a black connector, take a chrome one and either

• scuff the anodizing off and spray with SEM trim paint, or
  • take some dull sheen electrical tape and tuck the tape ends up under the rubber gasket.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My original Tourings is the plastic chrome look. And I thought perhaps I could cut something to length as I don't believe the 2002 item will be long enough. My connector is in perfect condition thankfully. 

Thanks for the explanation Mike. I did read up a bit on the importance of the lock strip. Not just a pretty trim piece.. 

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

How long does it takes to do this task?  My plan is to do front and rear (in “chrome”) this week.  I have the tool at my disposal and if something was going not break or not come out right, I would rather own the problem rather than a kid at a glass shop who would feel terrible..

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

3 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

Give yourself 20minutes each. You could do it in half the time, but you may want to pull it out and restart one or twice.

Once you start, try not to have to reset the lock strip, as that will give you waves.  

If you've never done it before it might take awhile to get the hang of it.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

If you've never done it before it might take awhile to get the hang of it.

I just did this last week to my 69. Prior to that, was 2015 for the same car.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"