• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guibo Clearance and leaking Getrag 245

Markster
Go to solution Solved by Markster,

Is it ok to shave it or what?  Wrong diameter? 

I put the red ink on it to visualize it. 

it is new.  

the d/s is almost perfect aligned- used the distance method between shaft and transmission.  Shimmed the center d/s bearing. 

Hope the video works. 

also have a shift rod leak I think. Over fill cause this?  (Filled on the bench b4 install). Perhaps in car it takes less transmission fluid? 

A0F24808-CBC9-4845-87F9-6AAC08A4125E.thumb.jpeg.c4bb4faff23e8f5852abaf53d6fba326.jpeg

I shaved one on my ‘71 after the 5 speed swap. It was touching the shift rod like in your video. 

It doesn’t need but tiny bit removed from the high spots of the Guibo to achieve the clearance. I used a side grinder with a flapper wheel, if I remember correctly. I did it with everything still on the car. You could use coarse sand paper and achieve the same result. 

It’s gone 20,000+ miles since then with no ill effects. 

EdZ

Edited by zinz
  • Like 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

55 minutes ago, jimk said:

Shift tower driver's side mounting bolt threads sealed?

+1!

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

When installing my 5 speed I had 2 of the 5 speed style guibos to choose from, don’t remember where I obtained them  from.
whats interesting to note Is that there was a noticeable difference in dia. between  the two of them, a few mm at least. 
Just sayin ?

• Like 2

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

17 hours ago, zinz said:

I shaved one on my ‘71 after the 5 speed swap. It was touching the shift rod like in your video. 

It doesn’t need but tiny bit removed from the high spots of the Guibo to achieve the clearance. I used a side grinder with a flapper wheel, if I remember correctly. I did it with everything still on the car. You could use coarse sand paper and achieve the same result. 

It’s gone 20,000+ miles since then with no ill effects. 

EdZ

Hi Ed- I shaved it too. I used a rotary orbital. Worked well. Took off a couple mm on the 6 high spots.  Balance issues?  I don’t think so?  

re the transmission fluid  did I screw up by filling on the bench? Maybe when installed it takes less fluid to hit the bottom off the filler?  Is excess oil just coming out the back? I can check it of course but figured I’d ask here. 

shaft looks straight. Less oil after this test drive too!  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 0257 said:

+1!

I am not absolutely certain if I re-applied loctite.   They were sealed  when I removed them to installed the kit ?.  I honestly do not recall if I sealed them on way back together.   I wonder if I can get to them in the tunnel?  Loctite 245 blue?  Torque Setting?  They did not show any leaks so less inclined to go do down this path. 

Edited by Markster

• 5 months later...

Hey Markster, any luck with any of these tips? I'm on my 3rd shift shaft seal on my 245 and absolutely disgusted as I've put less than 100miles on my car and it's leaking and the guibo is getting chewed up somewhere (again). 

FWIW, I put Teflon tape on both shift plate mount holes, I have 2 shift shaft seals sandwich-ing graphite rope and dielectric grease, and the fluid is still finding a way past and making an ugly mess. The only thing I haven't done is shave the guibo, but maybe thats what's necessary? Everything is perfectly aligned and there's minimal flex on the guibo through the rotation. I don't know why Getrag put such little clearance between the shaft and guibo. 

If this issue persists, I'm yaking the 245 and throwing a 260 in (m20 swap). 

20220717_130054.jpg

19 minutes ago, pompei426 said:

Hey Markster, any luck with any of these tips? I'm on my 3rd shift shaft seal on my 245 and absolutely disgusted as I've put less than 100miles on my car and it's leaking and the guibo is getting chewed up somewhere (again). 

FWIW, I put Teflon tape on both shift plate mount holes, I have 2 shift shaft seals sandwich-ing graphite rope and dielectric grease, and the fluid is still finding a way past and making an ugly mess. The only thing I haven't done is shave the guibo, but maybe thats what's necessary? Everything is perfectly aligned and there's minimal flex on the guibo through the rotation. I don't know why Getrag put such little clearance between the shaft and guibo. 

If this issue persists, I'm yaking the 245 and throwing a 260 in (m20 swap). 

20220717_130054.jpg

What brand of giubo are you using?  I only recommend the febi ones.  My first 245 tranny arrived in a beat up box and the shift rod was bent. I used a pipe to bend it back straight.

• Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

2 hours ago, pompei426 said:

20220717_130054.jpg

The flange hole on the right looks stretched/ovalized from where I am sitting, suggesting something bad happened at some point in the past.  There may be more damage, aside from that hole, but it looks like you need a new output flange.

Here's a link to a Febi giubo, from FCP Euro.  It's $101 less than their genuine BMW giubo, (but they might just be the same part).

open-uri20190108-12612-1ai3n7q.?15469825
WWW.FCPEURO.COM

BMW Drive Shaft Flex Disc (Giubo) - Febi Bilstein 26112226527

Thank you for the advice, Jim.  I'll be replacing the giubo someday.  I'm leaving well-enough alone for now though.

Tom

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 7:52 AM, jgerock said:

What brand of giubo are you using?  I only recommend the febi ones.  My first 245 tranny arrived in a beat up box and the shift rod was bent. I used a pipe to bend it back straight.

The last 2 have been Febis. I had to bend the rod on my M10 245. Before install the M20 245 was throughly inspected. 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:51 AM, '76mintgrün'02 said:

The flange hole on the right looks stretched/ovalized from where I am sitting, suggesting something bad happened at some point in the past.  There may be more damage, aside from that hole, but it looks like you need a new output flange.

Yah, I noticed that on the last go around when one of the bolts backed out. A new flange will be going on when I replace the guibo. 

On 11/12/2022 at 10:29 AM, jimk said:

Is the air vent clear?

I'm pretty sure, as this one was propped up at least once before install and it leaked fluid from the top. I don't see why it wouldn't be clear now. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks - I had some time last night to dig into the issue a bit further.  I pulled the shaft/guibo and exhaust resonator to get a better look. 

Without touching anything I got my camera and started looking at the shaft seal as I went through gears 1-5 and reverse. To me the shaft seal is surely the problem.  You can see in the video that the shaft is literally pulling away from the seal.   The shaft has lots of play in neutral and less in each of the gears.  What would fix the play in the shaft in neutral?  You can see it in my video...

Perhaps there is a p/n of another seal I could press in and get better results?  Stronger hold on the shaft perhaps?  Seems like the best solution since Metric Mechanic is not responding (???!!!)  It has only 100 or so miles on it.  Seems to me they were supposed to replace some bushing that holds this shaft?

Also, I can see my linkage was a bit torqued during assembly  and could be pulling on the shift rod downward, I can fix that easily.  I think it had no bearing on the shaft "equilibrium".  Also - I pulled the two bolts and they were sealed with a teflon/white paste.