• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too many electrical gremlins

I pulled my AC to fix a noise and when I put it back together I had a sudden surge ce of electrical gremlins.  I know there are many paths to go down but was hoping to catch a lead.  My issues are

- radio no longer powering up

- turn signals no longer work: works with hazards though

- left rear parking light not working

I replaced the hazard switch and turn signal relay about 5 years ago

when checking with a voltmeter for power to the radio I get no voltage. One lead to the purple wire and one lead to ground

With these many things and the seemingly lack of power to the radio I was thinking the issue is the hazard switch but since it’s relatively new, wanted to get some idea before coughing up the money to replace it 

What year car?  Wiring is different from year to year...However, for turn signals not working but the emergency flashers do...check the fuses that feed both turn signals and the emergency flasher.  

And IIRC the right and left parking & tail lights are separately fused:  one fuse for lefts, another for rights (not front and back)...

In the past week I've tracked down two "dead" turn signals that proved to be a blown fuse that serves the emergency flasher....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks this is a good start.  Everything worked as far as I know, the left rear parking light - harder to say since I can't look back there.   I checked the fuses and they look good - the left rear brake lights do work.  I do notice now some wires with frayed insulation but itself looks pretty intact.

Based on the drawing - it seems I should get 12V from the hazard switch that goes to the radio, but I don't. I will double check this along with the voltage to the hazard switch itself.  

Radio - there are fuses between the radio and the hazard, but there was continuity when I checked so believe those fuses are intact. 

well that wasn't very exciting. it WAS a fuse.  I had looked at it.  I thought it couldn't been it because the horn, radio, hazard was on the same fuse - but didn't realize that the hazards still work with that fuse not working. I checked my horn and it was indeed not working - so I changed the fuse and everything seems right now.

• Haha 1

Heh- I've been there.  Spend 3 evenings googling, u-toobing, reading,

then finally have some dry daylight to get to the car, and-

oh, hey, that's come unplugged.  And look, the latch doesn't seat,

so of course it came unplugged.

You kind of want it to be a real challenge, after you've psyched yourself up.

t

that was too easy.

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL