• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine rebuild

njmolinelli

Hi everyone! I am

looking to rebuild my engine, I have a stock engine with 32-36 Webber and a tii exhaust manifold, what are some mostly stock rebuild mods, I am going to

get new pistons, new cam, I do not mind having a mostly stock build, what recommendations for a cam, piston..... any ideas much appreciated! Engine has about 250k-300 since last rebuild! Engine still runs great! I am going to pull it out and do all the seals, so might as well give her a face lift! Plus 5spd!!

21D0B5F7-4CB5-4338-B9AA-40A01439849E.jpeg

Edited by njmolinelli
  • Like 3

Lotsa discussions, articles and how-to's on the site's archives covering all phases of engine rebuilding....just make sure that the pistons you get are compatible with the cylinder head you have and/or are gonna use.  They're not all compatible with each other.  That goes for other bits 'n pieces too, such as oil pumps and their drive chains, rocker arms etc.  

And don't cheap charlie on parts either.  There's a lot of less-than-sterling quality repro parts out there, some of which are packaged in boxes bearing well-known brands.  

As for performance enhancement...it's up to you how much you want, and if you're willing to accept some tradeoffs in terms of longevity, delicacy--and your ultimate use for the car.  Don't be shy about asking questions, there's a ton of knowledge on the FAQ, and folks are happy to share.

I installed 9.5 pistons and a 284 Schrick cam when I rebuilt my '73's engine, and have been happy with the results.  The 284 provides additional mid-range torque and the higher CR helps gas mileage, although that's offset by the necessity of running premium, or at least mid-grade gas.  But overall, it was a good choice...

mike

PS  don't forget to use the later style valve stem seals as used in the E30 M10 engines.  Much better at oil control as they age, and will prevent the mosquito fogging when you lift the throttle.

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Sounds like some fun times in the future!  Not meaning to sound gruff, but have you done any searching on this already?  The reason I ask, is that this question is very frequent and there are already a lot of great responses.  Here's a decent engine recipe.

Yes I have, quiet a bit, just wanted to put a new post, get the mind going and thinking!!  Get everyone one talking and opinions !! 

Subscribed.  I did the same research last winter and now I am having a new one built while I chip away at my laundry list of other tasks to repair/ replace on the car in my garage.  My M10 had two or three leaks in it…ran ok mind you…but found the car was simply flat..needed some life…so got started the process as you did and in the end found someone I trust to build me a new  motor. 292  Cam - programable ignition- header - light weight fly wheel and pulley….along with a newly machined head/ block.  I wish I could offer details to the block/ head work done other than to say I learned a lot talking about it with the mechanic - accepted the “might as well while your at it” adage by/ and taking no short cuts.  That link above from AceAndrew is excellent to get you thinking about what to do…but my takeaway when I read it last year resulted in what I am doing now.  Good thing I’ve put my kid’s through university already….$$ ? Your car looks great…

• Like 1

1973 BMW 2002 Restomod - Fjord Blue on Nutmeg 

On 2/15/2022 at 8:00 AM, njmolinelli said:

Engine has about 250k-300 since last rebuild! Engine still runs great! I am going to pull it out and do all the seals, so might as well give her a face lift! Plus 5spd!!

You stay it runs great .. but, speculating in smokes a little? Or, smokes lots?

What I’d suggest: Get to know some folks local to you, get rides in or drive their 2002’s with engines of various levels of performance builds.

On 2/15/2022 at 8:18 AM, AceAndrew said:

Sounds like some fun times in the future!  Not meaning to sound gruff, but have you done any searching on this already?  The reason I ask, is that this question is very frequent and there are already a lot of great responses.  Here's a decent engine recipe.

Yep .. a decent (your word) starting point, general list and guideline, though it skips a number of steps specific to the M10 (and engine building in general). Some of the branded parts called-out in that list have issues and/or are inconsistent and poor quality, items I’d never use in my M10 engine builds. Other parts add to the bottom line of vendors, but are unnecessary for a street car engine build. All in my opinion, of course. -KB

Edited by kbmb02
  • Like 1

Well I’m going to pull it anyways to do a 5spd, new clutch, put on the exhaust manifold I have, so might as well just give her a rebuild while it’s out, fix the leaks(no more burning oil smell in the cab) lol I was thinking just a 284 cam new pistons with my 32-36 Webber should be plenty plus 5 spd, ...

its doesn’t really smoke that bad, maybe down shifting hard it might but other than that 

19 hours ago, 2002iii said:

Or you could get another used engine and rebuild it so you can still drive your car.

I did this, great strategy especially now with the long que at machine shops, my local GoTo is 2-3 months before next available spot 

IMG_6409.thumb.JPG.daebd01df84717d8324148d5d2475e59.JPG

• Like 2

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

32 minutes ago, njmolinelli said:

Well I’m going to pull it anyways to do a 5spd, new clutch, put on the exhaust manifold I have, so might as well just give her a rebuild while it’s out, fix the leaks(no more burning oil smell in the cab) lol I was thinking just a 284 cam new pistons with my 32-36 Webber should be plenty plus 5 spd, ...

its doesn’t really smoke that bad, maybe down shifting hard it might but other than that 

You don't need to pull the engine to put a 5 speed in. 

If you want to pull the engine out anyway its easier to unbolt the subframe and lower it or raise the body off of it.

Before you tear the whole engine down I would do a compression check and visual inspection. You can get a cheap digital boroscope to look at the cylinders through the spark plug holes.

If your main concern is oil burning smell you can probably get away with just resealing the motor with a new front and rear main seal, oil pan and valve cover gasket and intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. Also check all your rubber seals and the firewall for holes letting smoke inside the car.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2002iii said:

You don't need to pull the engine to put a 5 speed in. 

If you want to pull the engine out anyway its easier to unbolt the subframe and lower it or raise the body off of it.

Before you tear the whole engine down I would do a compression check and visual inspection. You can get a cheap digital boroscope to look at the cylinders through the spark plug holes.

If your main concern is oil burning smell you can probably get away with just resealing the motor with a new front and rear main seal, oil pan and valve cover gasket and intake and exhaust manifold gaskets. Also check all your rubber seals and the firewall for holes letting smoke inside the car.

True! I guess it also gives me the chance to work on it and learn the engine, plus add a couple Extra upgrades, gives me something to do for a month or 2, 

• Like 1