• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolfgang is 53 today

Mike Self

1664801 was assembled on 4 February 1969, but due to an East Coast dock strike that year, it didn't reach Bavarian Motors in NYC until May; I took delivery on 5 May.  He just turned over 227000 miles, still on the original engine bottom end (valve job at 157k), transmission (no 2nd gear crunch!!!) and differential--even the original half shafts!  The interior is all original except the driver's seat cushion (victim of a screwdriver in my back pocket).  The 40th "second series" '69 off the line.  $3452 out the door, with Michelin XAS tires and a sunroof, plus all Max's "non optional options."

1176517142_the69May1969.png.62fad5a729bc7020e3560003e376c9aa.png

Taken on 6 May at our then home in Rome NY, still on NY dealer plates while I awaited my Florida license plate. I still have the plate too!

mike

• Like 27
  • Thanks 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, King+Sons said:

Any idea what percentage of US '69 2002s came with a sunroof?

Dunno exactly as BMW didn't keep records that detailed, but it was a fairly small percentage.  Sunroof popularity increased with later years, but I kinda doubt if it was more than 15-20% even on the later cars.  

It was a $135 option in 1969, on a car with a base price of $2988 so that was a fairly significant increase.  Michelins were another $59, and metallic paint was over $100.  Everything else was either those "non optional options" ($8 bumper guards, $2 exhaust tip, vinyl upholstery, tach etc) or dealer installed (radio, floor mats etc).

mike

• Like 2

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

14 hours ago, Milo-Autostrada said:

Since your car is a 69, does it still have the long neck diff ? They made the switch to short neck diffs at about mid-69. At about the same time they also made the switch to the 8 bolt crank.

The changeover from long to short neck diffs (and inner/outer CV jointed axles) was made at 1664761, 40 cars before mine.  The change from six to eight bolt cranks--and simultaneously from coil spring-to-diaphragm clutch with a different throwout bearing) was made at 1665200, 399 cars after mine was  built.  So I have somewhat of a unicorn.  And my dashboard doesn't have the little ridges to keep things from sliding around on the shelf.  

I've been careful with those Porsche synchronizers since the car was new, as they had already developed a reputation for fragility--a friend  bought what had to have been one of the first 2002s imported (April '68) and his second gear was starting to crunch at 10k miles.  But he was hard on cars, one reason I bought mine.  I figured it it would stand up to him, it would last me a long time.  I was right!

mike  

• Like 4

So, so cool that you’ve kept it all

these years. I wonder how many original owners are still out there? It’d be cool to have a SIG just for ‘02 original owners and family owned cars.

• Like 1

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

4 hours ago, tjones02 said:

I wonder how many original owners are still out there?

+1

09-22-1971

Edited by jimk
The date was off by one day.
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.