• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colorado Restoration of BAT '72 Tii

mac

49 minutes ago, tomphot said:

I believe the car is in Colorado

Wow, I think its a beauty, it even has those little screw protector thingys on the brake reservoir.  Someone on BAT commented on why the "overspray" on the underside, and is it all "stock".  

I've played a lot of Golf in Colorado....10%-15% more carry but still have to make putts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Steve Tochi said:

Wow, I think its a beauty, it even has those little screw protector thingys on the brake reservoir.  Someone on BAT commented on why the "overspray" on the underside, and is it all "stock".  

I've played a lot of Golf in Colorado....10%-15% more carry but still have to make putts. 

I never read the comments section there anymore because there are too many numbskulls who think they know something. Have they never looked at a Concours restoration of a 60s muscle car for example?

• Like 3

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

1 hour ago, mac said:

Name of the shop that did the work.  ??.

"Up the Canyon" if you will at the owner's home.

Edited by jimk

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, mac said:

Thank you Jim and Dave for coming forward.  I'm sure your input, knowledge and expertise were greatly appreciated. 

And now to answer the initial question:  Name of the shop that did the work.  ??.

Mac

It's @Stein-man's car.  Ping him.  I'm sure he'd be happy to talk about it.

And to the point of location- when Jim and I saw it, it was indeed in Colorado.

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

19 hours ago, 1936spyder said:

The one glaring boo-boo would be the quarter window latches which are mounted upside down and consequently are each on the wrong side of the car???.

Not only that, but they're the wrong latches.  They should be the all chrome ones as those with black knobs didn't enter production until around January 73 (400 cars after my '73 was built).  

Surprising that the spare isn't a matching alloy wheel.  Those are the modern versions from BMW Classic so they're still available.   At least they're painted correctly:  grey primer on the back, silver on the front, same as the steel wheels:  black on the back, sliver on the front. 

Agree with the underside overspray comments--that's the correct way if you're going for an authentic restoration on your '02.

I had a long "discussion" with my painter when I repainted my Bugeye.  The underside of the bonnet is supposed to be flat black primer, and when the factory laid on the color coat, they didn't mask the grille and headlight holes, allowing an overspray mist onto the bonnet's underside.  Took me awhile to convince my painter to do it that way,  Most "restored" Bugeyes you see have a bonnet painted body color. Wrong wrong wrong...

mike

• Like 3

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Not only that, but they're the wrong latches.  They should be the all chrome ones as those with black knobs didn't enter production until around January 73 (400 cars after my '73 was built).  

Surprising that the spare isn't a matching alloy wheel.  Those are the modern versions from BMW Classic so they're still available.   At least they're painted correctly:  grey primer on the back, silver on the front, same as the steel wheels:  black on the back, sliver on the front. 

Agree with the underside overspray comments--that's the correct way if you're going for an authentic restoration on your '02.

I had a long "discussion" with my painter when I repainted my Bugeye.  The underside of the bonnet is supposed to be flat black primer, and when the factory laid on the color coat, they didn't mask the grille and headlight holes, allowing an overspray mist onto the bonnet's underside.  Took me awhile to convince my painter to do it that way,  Most "restored" Bugeyes you see have a bonnet painted body color. Wrong wrong wrong...

mike

You beat me to it.  Here is my latch

80EE2E3F-635B-42C5-A025-19C9F14BC205.jpeg

• Like 4

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

mike

Yup, and there are a couple other things one could nitpick (I guess?) but that was just such a funny mistake. Easily rectified. Such a stunning car…

Attn:   Jim and Dave. 

Thank you so much. 

Nice to know that a fellow FAQer(Rob) is an OCD DIYer like myself. 

We "crazys" like to know we aren't alone.

Hope to meet Rob someday so we can swap stories and  drink beers. 

Mac. 

• Like 1

Looks like a really nice car.  Obviously, there are some minor issues, but what restoration is actually, really, truly perfect?  No one can recreate the assembly line environment and you're working with at best NOS parts, restorable 50+ year-old parts or things that BMW Classic say work.  It says a lot when the quibbles are details of finishes on a few parts (sure the latches on the airbox were plated, but they were painted after it was assembled).  The rear window latches are minor, easily fixed as are the missing white caps over the screws.  I'd have put real Hella lamps in the car  - especially one with reproduction XAS tires.  Spare wheel is actually an E21 steelie.  Rear of the sunroof seal should be on the panel, not the roof.  None of that is permanent.

One thing I'm curious about is the overspray on the fuel tank.  At first I thought it was the lighting but then it didn't move.  

• Like 1

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

Spare doesn’t look to be dished deeply enough to be an E21 steelie IMHO, just a late (‘74-‘76) E10 steelie. 

The overspray from the exhaust paint on the gas tank is curious as well. Really odd that someone wouldn’t mask that off and actually use the correct finish for the exhaust system.

Oh well, all the minor details that we’ve brought up are quite fixable, as you said. What a tii… 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 1936spyder said:

Spare doesn’t look to be dished deeply enough to be an E21 steelie IMHO, just a late (‘74-‘76) E10 steelie. 

The overspray from the exhaust paint on the gas tank is curious as well. Really odd that someone wouldn’t mask that off and actually use the correct finish for the exhaust system.

Oh well, all the minor details that we’ve brought up are quite fixable, as you said. What a tii… 

The wheel is definitely E21.  5.5x13 ET18.  Pretty late date code, cant tell if its 10/76 or 10/78.  Looking at the photo of the car from the thread when it was on eBay suggests it was wearing E21 wheels at that time.

Edited by wkohler
  • Like 2

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

Gotcha, hadn’t reviewed the old thread since it was posted. Late E10 steelies are easy enough to come by, but an early, properly date-coded tii steelie might take a little time…