• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

two carbs or not two carbs...

norrinradd

Upon reading a lot of opinions on here about dual carbs, I am doing it ! When my head comes back from TEP, it's fun time ! Any great tips from the experts that I may have missed ? Stock block, a 284 cam and dual weber 40's  -Thanks !

This is slightly self-serving buuut, the linkage system has always been a troublesome area in the use of side drafts.  The aftermarket products aren't designed for the M10 and require cobbling together lego-like pieces to concoct a linkage.  The result is a Frankensteinian structure that requires manipulation to synchronize the carbs and then regular adjustment to maintain that.

Which is why we, 2002sOnly, designed a 2002 specific linkage that not only looks OEM but eliminates the linkage as a source of adjustment and maintenance.  'Nuff said, here is a link:

• Like 5

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Choose your manifold wisely. I started with redline, snapped an ear, now I have a warneford (1 piece), which a lot easier to install. Make sure you get the brass nuts for the manifold bolts. I’m using Hal’s linkage… so much better than a cable system. I did source a replacement manifold from redline and if you’re interested… I’ll sell them to you for a reasonable price. 

• Like 2

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

Another option that will work well with your 284 cam and obviate the need to synchronize those dual carbs:  a single sidedraft Weber or Solex--presuming you can find a Lynx or similar single sidedraft manifold.  Larger throats than even a 38/38 downdraft, and no problems with clearance on the standard brake booster.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I had a Lynx with a single 45. It was cool, but I love my dual set up much more. 

If you don’t have one, I’d recommend installing an AFR gauge. It’s made tuning easier.  Also keep a log book of your jetting, and keep notes. 

- Project 67' 1600-2

- Pig Cheek 71' 1602

Make sure you have small enough chokes in there; for a 284 I think 34mm or even 32mm would be about right.  Much bigger and you'll never be able to tune off-idle and cruising throttle settings.  Wideband O2 sensor is another great suggestion. And while I can't personally endorse @halboyles linkage, I CAN attest that in general throttle linkage is one of the most frustrating parts of changing any induction setup, and products developed by long-time FAQ members tend to be excellent. . . and now I'm starting to think about switching to ITBs again. . .

• Like 1

YES !! Everything is reassembled ! What fun ! Now, since I have the Webers, I switched to a Ti dizz and red coil. Where do all the wires go ? I've looked at diagrams and read articles... just looking for a simple answer. On the new dizz where does the red wire go and where does the black wire go ? Do I get rid of the resistor and keep the relay ? 

Those look like PerTronix wires sticking out of your distributor?

If so, measure coil primary.   less than 3 ohms will fry the pertronix.

To wire the perTronIcks, +12v to + on coil (yup, ditch the resistor)

and red from distributor to + on coil as well.

Black from distributor to - on coil, and black from tach to selfsame post.

That should do it- +12v powers the module in the distributor and the coil,

the module gets ground from its hard mount to the distributor, and the

black wire switches coil negative.

easy peasy.

Unless you meter less than 3 ohms, then the smoke gets out.

t

de- smoked one once.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL