• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring a trailer - strategy?

ketchup

Good morning folks, looking for your opinion on a slightly non-‘02 matter, but I trust the wisdom of the FAQ over other Bmw forums (by far). 

I’ve never listed a car on BAT, but I’ve recently come to own a unique E21 which I am preparing to list there. I’m just trying to determine what level of restoration I want to perform. Obviously, it’s possible to spend tons of money to create a unicorn car, but then you have all that risk especially for E21 with the market hasn’t fully appreciated the car yet. On the other hand, I could listed as is completely unmolested with a few cosmetic flaws and maybe the market would favor that originality. Or something in between. 

It has about 95,000 miles, single owner car, owned by a science professor till he passed away recently. Interior is excellent, couple small Dash cracks. It’s not the sport model, so just regular cloth comfort seats. alpine white/dark gray. The engine fires right up and runs like a top. Transmission and clutch are excellent. Here’s the kicker: working air conditioning, converted, and blows ice cold. there is rust on both rockers. I will be completely replacing those with new metal. There is a small rust bubble starting under the spare tire, which I also will be replacing with new metal. this front steering seems a little sloppy so I’m going to replace everything up front with polyurethane bushings. The wheels are original 13 inchers and I was not planning on upgrading those for the auction.

The car also has a funky sound system I’ve never seen before. It has the speaker pods which look like they could be some type of dealer installed option. Including alpine amplifiers and subwoofers in the trunk – the ladder seeming more custom. The previous owner was a big fan of classical music, he wasn’t messing around with the sound system. The head unit is the original Bmw, this makes me think it was a dealer- installed option.

Here are the items that I’m on the fence about, let me know if you think these are worth spending the money on, whether they will enhance the vehicle enough to justify a larger final bid:

1. Replace colonial bumpers with chrome euro bumpers

2. replace original steering wheel with a three spark Momo prototipo 

3. thoroughly clean engine compartment and refinish valve cover and intake

4. install period Correct yellow fog lights (brackets are currently there, lights are missing)

5. Install larger wheels, such as basket weaves from an E30

6. replace suspension with slightly lower springs and new koni or Bilstein dampers (current suspension seems decent, Bilsteins installed with factory springs, but seems a little bouncy. This is a big expense)

I know some of these items are subjective, I don’t want to put off a large group of buyers, but I do want the best visual appeal as well. I have no qualms about the mechanical aspects of the car, but with an auction on the ‘ol BaT, you really need to get people visually stimulated as well.

Thanks and advance for your insight. My wife thinks we should keep it, but I’m almost done with my O2 build and that needs priority!

5FC7C343-D1DA-4086-9911-4BE82BCE5D47.jpeg

E5053945-AC7D-4B47-985A-75880C19CF86.jpeg

A6F6440D-BB96-4B76-8BE6-2DA0813E9F1F.jpeg

B83ECF7D-9AB0-4905-9794-3922BD059AF0.jpeg

Since it’s not a sport model and the market for E21’s is nothing like that for 02s, I would do the minimal amount to prep it for sale and sell it as a survivor. I would make sure it was running well, install fresh tires if need be and then do a cosmetic detail. Take some really good pictures or have a competent photographer do so and let the chips fall where they may.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

+1 to the comments above.  

I am in a similar situation with a recent purchase of a 325is. I am very reluctant to alter it in any way except for some needed suspension upgrades. I think there is a stronger market for those cars that are closer to original as opposed to one that has been tricked out.....but then again I could be wrong. Good luck with yours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, NickVyse said:

what he said, it's not even a 323i. But those speaker pods are awesome, love to see pics of the whole installation. Never seen anything like them.

I wish I had more photos of the installation. Here are the amplifiers, there is a carpeted box above, suspended from the parcel shelf and completely enclosed which I assume houses subwoofers, probably two 8 inchers, I would guess

BA0BD6B3-D748-4B2C-AD2E-2E761015A961.jpeg

Thanks for the thoughts so far, very helpful. What do you guys think about the rust? At the very least, I was planning on repairing all of that, it’s going to be a couple thousand dollars, though I will do most of the work myself. I can’t imagine trying to sell a car with any rust at all, but the market is so unique right now. That survivor Malaga red 73 that sold yesterday was a nice car, but the odometer couldn’t be verified and it had rust — still went for 30K ? I realize this is just a lowly E21 by comparison but still…

Dealing with that rust and not having the new owner do so is going to be one slippery slope. How nasty are the rockers? If the spare tire well just has a bubble don’t even stress about that. The engine compartment looks really clean and should clean up nicely. The speakers are seriously dope by the way-I wouldn’t remove them.

IMHO selling it as an unmolested, original one owner survivor that runs/drives well and that has been cleaned/presents well will make it more attractive to potential buyers. They can then decide what they want to do with it as it will be a blank slate so to speak.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

I agree with what has been said.  I would put the minimum into the freshening and would keep it bone stock.  In my opinion that will attract the most buyers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1974 2002tii Restored (Original Owner) #2782393
2013 Porsche C4S Cab (Original Owner)
BMW CCA #23777

My thoughts are:

• Keep it as original as possible. In other words, leave the bumpers and steering wheel. If they are in poor condition find a better condition (but still OE).
  • Do as much mechanical prep as you can. Tires, brakes, fluid change, plugs, rotor, cap, etc. etc. Fluid - engine, trans and diff. Make this car as close to "ready to drive across country" as you can. Shocks, original radio (IMO, yes. I like the speakers though), etc.
  • Document everything you can. Gather all receipts and put them in a 3 ring, with plastic protectors. Start making a history on the car if it doesn't have it already.
  • Clean it up - interior and out. Add wax, etc. Clean the headliner if it needs it, get rid of funky smells if it has it, etc.
  • Unless the rust is terrible, just document it and move on. I wouldn't add paint to the car if it's original paint (OE, not just color). 

Car looks nice, but try to not get carried away with making it "better". Let the next owner decide what that looks like. Focus on safe, clean and reliable.

Looks like an honest car.

~JasonP

Edited by JsnPpp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

how does one not hit their hands on that speaker box when steering the car?  

IMHO, which to some is just angry old white male shizzy, when an e21 with less than 50K original miles in like-new condition sells for 30K people get the wrong idea about these cars.  While the e21 in many ways is a better platform than the 2002 (gasp!) it was a stop gap in the 80's for the US DOT and emissions BS happening across the USA.  The true version of an e21 was the 323 & 323i which is a terrific car.  However, even these don't garner the attention they deserve. They are just sandwiched between the more desirable 2002 and e30. That being said, with cars, originality and condition sell the car.  Value is intrinsic and if there happens to be a "collector" in the room come auction day, then perhaps he wants a toy piece to round out his stable.  Of course you all know this.  

I have had a foray with e21's, several were 323's and it's a hard sell. 

As above, it appears your focus is on the money, so don't do a thing, except clean it up and the needful to make it proper for sale.  

I would even go as far as to remove any add-ons, but that's always an option for the new owner.  

BAT may not be your best venue for this car. I say that cause they are not likely gonna make much money from it with fees.  Submit it and best of luck.  

BTW, I listed a gray market import euro 323 which had Hartge provenance and lot's of HiPo stuff such as a dogleg and 3:45 LSD with Alpina wheels and Recaro interior and on and on, and it saw no love on BAT.  But that was then and this is now.  

but what do I know 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

But what do I know

I vote for selling it as is, as stated above the market for the e21 is very soft, any money you spend on this one IMO won't be returned at sale. 

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Sadly these cars are not loved by the vast majority of bmw fans, most regard them as parts donors for 2002s. They usually don't sell for more than $4000-$5000 and that's with the 5 speed, lsd and Recaro seats.

They were definitely a stop gap car, slightly different suspension and a newer body with a slightly improved/modified drivetrain from a 2002 and the infamous k-jetronic fuel injection.

Unfortunately BMW continued the stop gap tradition with the e34 5 series, slightly improved e28 suspension and either the slightly improved m30b35 straight 6 or the new melting block m60 v8.

If this was my car I would clean it up( especially the washer fluid reservoir) put new tires and factory rubber suspension bushings on it and then sell it. This would make a great first BMW for someone who can't afford a 2002 and wants to learn to work on cars. If you put the e30 318i fuel injection on them they make good reliable daily drivers that won't break the bank, are easy to work on, fun to drive and if you wreck it you won't want be as angry as if it was a 2002.

• Thanks 1

Search BAT BMW 320i lots of information pops on previous sales and adds to like (copy) or dislike.

I would give her a great cleanup job change some fluids maybe a tune up fresh gas and state everything you have done in the add. People like honesty and BAT may bring you the most for your efforts. Best of luck.

My wife drove a 1977 320i for 10 years and we sold it for what we paid for it, solid cars.

Edited by gary32
  • Thanks 1

I think one of the biggest things regardless of how you decide to proceed is to be active and able to provide info to potential buyers throughout the duration of the auction. A lot of questions can be answered preemptively with great photos (especially of the underbody/ trunk) and videos of driving and walking around the car.

Side note: I always think classic cars seem a little more 'honest' with no tint, but that's subjective.

GLWS!