• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Scam Alert in Forum

jazz_and_bimmers

2 hours ago, Steve Tochi said:

I've said this before but many other auto related forums require a minimum # of posts (some require 100) before you're allowed to post to classifieds.  Yes, that would hurt some legit sellers who just happen to have some good bits laying around, but perhaps prevent fraudsters from taking advantage of the way FAQ is set up. 

They also have a separate classified section for Ebay/Craiglists items and cars for sale that members (ala Johnpeter) can let us know about that car on the corner in Winslow, AZ.

wouldn’t work for this as the scammers are replying to wanted to buy ads via pm. Unfortunately “a fool and his money...” comes down to common sense. 

• Like 1

Yeah know the product your shopping for, 400 bucks for a rebuilt lsd wouldn't cover the parts for a rebuild and if it only had 100 miles on it the guy would know that, we all want a good deal but they are few and far between. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, bavariaboy said:

What is google image search? Sounds interesting and helpful.

Search on Google for google image search, and there you are:

image.png

image.png

Edited by JerryC

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

10 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah know the product your shopping for, 400 bucks for a rebuilt lsd wouldn't cover the parts for a rebuild and if it only had 100 miles on it the guy would know that, we all want a good deal but they are few and far between. 

Yes, it has scam written all over it and i am a dummy who had a moment of alcohol induced, bad judgement. Thanks for the Caveat Emptor and all that stuff.

I posted this to let people know this site isn't safe from scammers, but of course you knew that already.

• Like 1

1970 2002 Ti (Colorado)

1973 3.0csi (Fjord)

1984 M635csi (Anthrazit Metallic) - 1994 850ci (Schwartz)

1982 e28 m30 4.0 build (Balticblau) -1987 528e (Burgundrot)

It happened to me as well. Was desperate for a drivers side frame rail. Payment sent through Zelle was the problem, so add that service as a no/no for internet purchases. Brian Baker was his name.
I am fortunate to have a family member in the data mining business and there were enough others here on this forum to put together enough phone #, addresses and alias that I found his current address. The culprit was unlucky enough to live in the same county. 24 hours after  A visit to police headquarters and interview with a detective I received my money back through Zelle. 
Brian Baker has a GoFund Me account trying to raise money to adopt a cute little girl.

Edited by Mike A
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

73 Tii stock build, Porsche Macan   , E46 330i Florida driver, 

….and like most of us, way too many (maybe 30 at last count) I wish I hadn't sold ?

22 hours ago, Mike G said:

wouldn’t work for this as the scammers are replying to wanted to buy ads via pm. Unfortunately “a fool and his money...” comes down to common sense. 

Mike, yes i was referring to listing items for sale. But if I recall, some sites don't let you enter the classifieds at all if you're not a "proven poster".  In the end, scamsters will figure it out so comes down to buyer beware.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All -

Just checking back in to alert the community that I received yet another scam attempt from the same want ad I placed. Same exact thing as last time. Got a PM from a forum "member" @66gill advising me to contact a third party who has the part:

This time, i was sober lol, and caught it immediately. Nonetheless, I played along a bit for fun, and here it is for your entertainment.  I omit the last few correspondences where I get nasty for the sake of decorum. Starts a bottom of thread. (I use the Philly Sherriff's address as my own for good effect, and also bust them with the 2018 link they grabbed the verbiage from. Bizarrely, they also use an obscure australian singer/songwriter as their nom de plume.)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 7:01 PM
To: Michael Arenella <michael@dreamlandorchestra.com>
Subject: Re: 3.64 LSD differential

Got the mailing address 

I’ll ship out tomorrow and send you the necessary tracking as soon as possible 

Kindly let me know when you make the payment.

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 00:57, Michael Arenella <michael@dreamlandorchestra.com> wrote:

Thank you, Tash! (Alain)

Here’s my mailing address, but you should be getting a knock on your door soon.

100 South Broad St, 5th Fl., Philadelphia, PA 19110

PS:

I was so bummed out when this one sold - so glad you have another one:

https://picclick.com/BMW-2002-tii-E21-364-REBUILT-E36-Clutch-362151735398.html

By the way, I am a huge fan of your music. This is one of my favorites from you:

https://music.apple.com/us/album/my-heart-in-your-hands-single/1509207184

Best,

Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 6:50 PM

Correct.

Name on Venmo @Holmest77

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 00:44, Michael Arenella <michael@dreamlandorchestra.com> wrote:

That’s a great deal – thank you!

I don’t have Zelle but use Venmo.

What’s your Venmo email address for the payment? Assuming I should just send as Friends and Family?

Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 6:27 PM

I’ll do $1350 shipped to 19019 

I do have bank Zelle and Venmo 

Alain

Kindly mail me your complete shipping address.

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 00:23, Michael Arenella <michael@dreamlandorchestra.com> wrote:

Ah, that’s ok – I don’t need pictures. These are just so rare that I am over excited, haha.

I’m ready to pay now. Does the price include shipping? If not, no prob….I’m in Philadelphia, zip code 19019.

What payment method is best for you?

Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 6:18 PM

Bought it from a Friend Who did the rebuilt 

Actually 

I don’t have the pictures 

I thought you’re local to Grenada 38901 

That you can check and pick it up 

So sorry 

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 00:15, Michael Arenella <michael@dreamlandorchestra.com> wrote:

Thanks Tash –

Oh awesome – so it’s a rebuilt unit using e36 spool. These are the best and so much better than the standard 2002 spool.

Did you do the rebuild?

Oh, and do you have a couple photos of it?

So excited!

Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 6:07 PM

Thanks for getting back Mr Michael,

This was custom built, converting the open differential to a limited slip using the clutch assembly spool from a 1993-95 E36 318i.This spool is highly regarded as being superior to the E21 spool. The post-assembly measured break-away or preload torque near 30 fl-lbs, which is about 10% greater preload than a standard E21 LSD.

The differential was partially disassembled and cleaned. The clutches were removed, cleaned and media blasted to restore the original friction surface prior to reassembly.  The diff case was modified slightly to allow for installation of the limited slip spool, and then the diff was reassembled and set up with the correct backlash and proper gear contact.The stock E21 rear cover was installed,so you will need to install your stock 2002 rear cover.Also included are double drilled axle flanges, spacers, and longer 12.9 grade bolts, making this LSD ready for installation in your 2002.  All you need to do is seal your rear cover using some RTV or gasket seal compound, add oil, and install it.Fits any E21 or 2002 that does not have a long neck diff.

Best of the season,
T Holmes.

On Tue, 5 Jan 2021 at 16:56, Michael Arenella <michael@dreamlandorchestra.com> wrote:

Fantastic – can’t wait to buy – have been looking all over for this!

Can you tell me a little bit about the differential?

Sent: Tuesday, January 5, 2021 5:50 PM

Yes, please!

Up for grabs is a   1970 2002 ti 3:64 limited slip differential in a good condition.Yours for $1300  with local pick up in 38901 or you mail me your complete shipping address.

Best of the season,
T Holmes.

From: Michael Arenella [mailto:michael@dreamlandorchestra.com]
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2021 2:05 PM
To: 'autosgear75@gmail.com' <autosgear75@gmail.com>
Subject: 3.64 LSD differential

Hi –

I received this email on 2002FAQ:

"Have you checked with Tash via autosgear75 @gmail.com,he has a  1970 2002 ti 3:64 limited slip differential he wants to part with. ..."

I am interested – thanks

Michael

Edited by jazz_and_bimmers
  • Like 1

1970 2002 Ti (Colorado)

1973 3.0csi (Fjord)

1984 M635csi (Anthrazit Metallic) - 1994 850ci (Schwartz)

1982 e28 m30 4.0 build (Balticblau) -1987 528e (Burgundrot)

I had the same attempt from Mr. Martin today. This time on bimmerforums. Stay alert everyone. I've attached the pics he sent me, Pics weren't bad, but I had caught onto his scheme by this point. Pics came from here which I found using the trick above: https://munichicons.be/shop/drivetrain/63-getrag-245-gearbox-overdrive-e21-m10.html

Sheldon Prinsloo 

11:15 AM (3 minutes ago)

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif
to martin
cleardot.gif

Oh it isn’t what I was needing after all. Sorry about that.

On Jan 7, 2021, at 11:09 AM, martin calvin <mcalvin318@gmail.com> wrote:
Here are pics of it, Let me know 

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 18:03, Sheldon Prinsloo wrote:
No problem, I’m not in a hurry for it. Pics will help me out a great deal. Thanks!

On Jan 7, 2021, at 10:56 AM, martin calvin <mcalvin318@gmail.com> wrote:
Yup I can do $950 and if I have to send you a dm, I’ll have to do that on my computer at work and won’t resume work till Monday, Let me know as I’m free to ship today

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 17:54, Sheldon Prinsloo wrote:
Can you do $950? Also, shoot me a DM in the forums so I can be sure it’s you.
Thanks!
Sheldon

On Jan 7, 2021, at 9:48 AM, martin calvin <mcalvin318@gmail.com> wrote:
Shoot me an offer and if it’s a good deal I’ll take it..I’m available to ship today..Thanks

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 16:46, Sheldon Prinsloo wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Martin.
I’m interested but will have to discuss approval with my wife on the purchase. What’s your best price you can offer?

Thank you!
Sheldon

> On Jan 7, 2021, at 1:49 AM, martin calvin <mcalvin318@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Said I should email you, send me your shipping information and I can ship in the morning

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0201.jpg

Edited by speedyshel
Attached pics that I was sent.

"It is better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not."

• Administrators

If you see suspicious activity, please report it. Every part of the site will have a "report" link somewhere. I will look at content and decide.  We used to have Bots, but now it is mostly humans that are doing this. A lot harder to spot.

steve 

• Like 1

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

• 1 month later...

Rayden is still doing this, using the same buddy. Received an unsolicited PM from rayden about his buddy Martin Calvin in NY for a 3.64 LSD after I posted in a for sale thread.

Price was more realistic, and picture was correct, but PayPal “friends and family” was the biggest red flag.

Thanks for posting this warning.

'74 2002Tii Sienabraun: Henrik

'67 Ford Galaxie 500: Grandpa