• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NOS Purolator PC 201 Safe to Use

MurphinDC

New member and recent 1971 2002 purchase.  I had a 1974Tii back in the late 80s that departed via the wrecker years ago...but that's another story.  I dug out my old parts and have a few NOS Purolator PC 201 oil filters from 1985.  What's the consensus on if I should still use them or not?

Thanks and this no doubt is the first of many questions I'll have.  What a great resource this website is.

Thanks

Murph

They still do- but it's not paper like on your favorite Dick Francis thriller.

Nor is it exposed to UV or ozone or cigarette smoke so thick it could choke a horse.

It's a heavier, open cardboard, designed to trap small particles while still letting oil ooze through at speed.

Honestly, I'd be more concerned about the adhesive used to bed the ends.

I'd use them, too.

t

tends to use quite a few filters.  Now if he could just find what he did with his filter cutter....

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

If Purolator doesn't recommend using their NOS filters, I wonder why they (and other manufacturers) don't either put a "use by" or a "manufactured on" date on the filter.  

I've used some pretty old filters (legacy of winning 'em at Mid America) and haven't had one fail yet (and yes, I look down inside 'em after draining and before I throw 'em away).

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I actually have a few STP filters which are even worse than Purolators.  I originally hesitated to use them mainly because I was thinking their filtration standards aren't equal to a Mahle.  Attached is a filter study which is the closest I've come to a scientific analysis of filter effectiveness.  Sorry, I just copied the page and don't have the complete study.  Maybe someone with Google-fu skills can find the original.  The filter studied isn't a 2002 filter so there's that problem.  And maybe you can take issue with the author's methodology.  And the Mahle wasn't in the study but a Mann was, which I think is an equivalent.  If the study is to be believed, the STP does suck.  On the other hand, the baseline Purolator (Classic) is actually rated better than the Mann in filtration. So circumstancially, a baseline Purolator might be OK. Of course, one doesn't know how the PC201 compares to the L series Purolator.  At least I can definitely say the STP's are going into the neighbor's pool.

OilFilterComparisonStudy.pdf

Edited by yeewiz

Bob

BMWCCA #4844 (#297 of The 308)

1974 2002 Sahara, MM 2400 Rally engine, MM 5 speed and conversion

1976 2002A Anthracite parts car

1991 525i AlpinweiB II

2002 330ci AlpinweiB III

2007 530xiT Titanium Silver

There 3 types of filter media used.  Listed in increasing term of use and particulate retention and cost, Cellulose Paper, Synthetic fiber paper and depth medial.

The filters in question due to their age are probably cellulose paper, times have changed filter design.

Testing to an industry recognized testing standard would provide a meaningful comparison.  The industry standard is ISO 4548 and it's sub sections.  An overview is here:

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:iso:4548:-1:ed-2:v1:en

Edited by jimk
added info on filter testing standard.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.