• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 BMW 2002 Tii - Colorado Orange - Italian Car

danco_

Price: $45000

Description:

Hi guys, I am listing this car for a friend.

It's a bonafide Italian Car, a proper numbers matching 72 tii in Original Colorado Orange, and its turn key, ready to be enjoyed by the next owner. 

The story on this car, and from the owner directly:

"The car was manufactured in 1971 and delivered in 1972. It’s an original 2002tii in Colorado.

The car has matching numbers, engine and body. 

It was imported into Florida on 6/9/2016 by Tony Choudhury.

Tony is a BMW collector in South Florida and found the car in Italy. 

The Italian owner etched the European license plate number into some of the cars windows as a way of showing its originality.

Work was done on the car in Florida by Blue & White Autohouse and it was further refined by Coupe King in CA.

The car has a clean CA title and is ready to go to its next owner."

The current owner has since found another colorado tii that met his requirements a bit more than this one (new car has original blue CA plates), thus this one is for sale.

What I can confirm with documentation: 

-Car was completely resprayed in original Colorado (paint code 002) Paint Color (two stage base/clear combo) while in Florida

-Essentially Nut/Bolt Restoration in the engine bay and interior 

-Suspension is nice and bushings all around replaced, but remains in original condition/not refinished

-Interior is VERY NICE. 74 tii front seats (both front and rear seats redone very well), one piece crack-free dash, original carpet, everything works well.

-Engine was completely rebuilt in Florida (nearly $10k). All injectors, KF pump, every nut and bolt. It runs EXCELLENT in both hot and cold start, warm up and when at temp.

-All elephant skin vinyl in trunk was replaced and very nice. 

My only comments on this car for the next owner, in terms of what to do next are as follows:

-Replace drip moldings with new units. Current moldings have markings from what I think was a roof rack. They are deep enough scratches that I would replace.

-Possibly replace front grilles (current center and driver grille has holes drilled into them from previous european owner. 90% of people won't notice, but the rest of the car is nice enough that I would pay attention to the grilles.

-Change dizzy to 123 Bluetooth Unit. The current distributor is the factory unit and a recurved distributor would benefit the engine with 91 Octane California Gas

-Change steering wheel and wheels to factory units. This is a REALLY NICE tii. Get it back to stock and enjoy the living hell out of it. Or don't...the car is nice as-is.

-You could go the distance and change the front seats and dashboard to proper 1972 units, but I wouldn't. What is currently in place is extremely nice. 

-Change Driver side mirror with factory trapezoid mirror, as well is rear view mirror. Both are worn and could use a refresh.spacer.png

I've driven this car for 100 miles and enjoyed each and every one. I can't go to a single location without a thumbs up or some instagram influencer taking photos next to the car. This car will get more attention than you ever will and it's both a compliment and annoying, depending on how you look at it. 

I would buy this car, but I have a colorado 2002 I really like, so I wouldn't love it like I do my other one. 

Bring a Trailer valuations put this car at a very favorable price. I know I could get more, but so could you if buy it, enjoy it, and resell down the road. 

At the end of the day, transparency is king. I value honesty and will give it as I receive it. This car is worth looking into and purchasing. I don't expect it to last too long. 

Please see the photos below, as well as the Flickr link for even more detailed shots. If you have questions, please ask. I am happy to answer them to the best of my ability. I may post a driving video pretty soon but as of now, the car is clean and the current California fires are dropping a lot of ash, which I don't want to deal with. 

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQBLMPE

I am debating including a nice set of Italian Turn Signals with this car since it is an Italian Car. I can be persuaded, but at this point, not included in the sale. 

Please check out the photos! The car is currently in my possession and I can show it by appointment....or meet you for a coffee, both of which I'm into. 

Thanks for looking! 

-Ryan Danco

tii -2.jpg

tii -3.jpg

tii -00 .jpg

tii -4.jpg

tii -9.jpg

tii -14.jpg

tii -15.jpg

tii -71.jpg

tii -69.jpg

tii -61.jpg

tii -47.jpg

tii -39.jpg

Edited by danco_
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Esty, if our 02's are like coupes, and I am new to the 02 game, there are subtle differences in European versus USA delivery cars. But you know that.

And there is the intangible cachet of the Euro ethos(I am making this up as I go along actually). There are others on this board who can fill screens with the differences. Chime in folks.

Steve

3 hours ago, esty said:

just out of curiosity...what is the significance of it being "a bonafide Italian Car" vs, a bonafide USA car or bonafide Frence car...

are our cars worth more or more significant if sold out of country?

again, just curious

We often want what we can't easily get. US guys want euro turn signals, euro guys like US turn signals (gross over-estimate but is applicable). 

A euro tii is nice, an italian tii is also nice. A US tii is easy to acquire and what is readily available. If nothing else, I like the idea of being to own a car that has no business being in the USA, yet here it is. A car that lived its life traversing the great Italian cities and country sides, and was brought to the states for a second take on life. There is value in the backstory. 

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

5 hours ago, danco_ said:

We often want what we can't easily get. US guys want euro turn signals, euro guys like US turn signals (gross over-estimate but is applicable). 

A euro tii is nice, an italian tii is also nice. A US tii is easy to acquire and what is readily available. If nothing else, I like the idea of being to own a car that has no business being in the USA, yet here it is. A car that lived its life traversing the great Italian cities and country sides, and was brought to the states for a second take on life. There is value in the backstory. 

I love the car!  Hope it goes to someone who will drive and enjoy it.

Since it originally went to Italy, shouldn’t it have the square “e code” sticker on the right inner fender? I’ve seen a US spec 72 tii (Colorado) that was originally delivered to England that had one of those stickers.

Whats the little hole for next to the VIN tag?

Needs a washer bottle cap.

What brand of headlights does it have? 

The placement of the Orange parts sticker may indicate this car got a set of reproduction stickers when it was repainted. Very common to see this.

4F1450D6-48DC-4F78-9179-32B3FC36BB55.jpeg

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Etching the Licence Plate numbers into the glass was popular in the UK for security, and if you had classic car insurance. My Touring had this done to every window and I received a 5% discount on my cc insurance.

Difficult to picture my UK tag UWX 706N, so I highlighted it.

DSCN2505crsm_LI.jpg

DSCN2846crsm_LI.jpg

• Like 1

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

The E12 euro tiis had 9.5:1 compression ration vs the US' 9.0:1.  So there's that.  Not sure if the same CR differences exist with the 121 head cars.  

Off the top of my head, here's what is different:

>Lighting (headlights (a lot of euro cars have city lights in the headlights), turn signals, license plate lights, lack of sidemarker lights)

>A lot of euro cars don't have rear bumper guards...mine doesn't.  

>Low fuel light in the euro tii

>CR difference as above (E12 cars for sure, not sure re earlier head)

>220 KMH speedo vs. 120mph US

>Steering wheel is different

>Euro cars don't have the charcoal fuel vapor set up in the trunk

>There were more choices of seat material in euro cars - I've seen them with different seat materials - all the US ones are the familiar seat materials we all know.  

My car has a euro Blaupunkt radio with weird bands (it gets radio free london at night), so that could be pretty common to have different radios.  Mine also has a Carlix block heater (it was bought new by a Swiss person - maybe lived somewhere chilly). 

This car is super cool.  There have been a few really nice tiis for sale lately.  Really nice, cool ones don't shake loose very often.  For good reason.  

Scott

9470386E-5717-432B-85C1-E6CC2062DE43.jpeg

5D627CA6-B058-47B6-AA77-08FAC62FF656.jpeg

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ryan @danco_ -

I would love to chat with you about this amazing Colorado tii if it is still available.

I just joined this forum (after seeing this car!) and can't private message yet, apparently.

Is there another way we could connect? Please feel free to PM me. Very interested!

Many thanks,

Michael

Edited by jazz_and_bimmers

1970 2002 Ti (Colorado)

1973 3.0csi (Fjord)

1984 M635csi (Anthrazit Metallic) - 1994 850ci (Schwartz)

1982 e28 m30 4.0 build (Balticblau) -1987 528e (Burgundrot)