• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I use the ST lowering springs?

tdskip

Hope everybody had a good fourth, and thank you for being patient with my string of questions today. 

I have a set of used but good condition ST lowering springs, I wanted to get some thoughts on using those for a street in fast road car.

I’m not trying to build a track car, and the car has to be comfortable for doing hundreds of miles a day because I mostly use my cars on longer distance touring events. 

With the front sub-frame out now would be the time to swap these in if it is a good move...

Thanks for the coaching.

Got my H&R's new from Blunt. Suspensions are integrated systems. I also did ALL new bushings, ST sway bars and Bilstein shocks. I believe why my car handles so well is because the suspension was spec'd out to work with each other component.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

I used ST springs and sway bars on the ‘75 I resurrected several years ago. I was happy with them, coupled with Bilstein HDs. 

CF899D1A-1C23-40F3-87E0-45221E8DEF21.jpeg
Ed Z

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

5 minutes ago, tdskip said:

Ed - an issues with tires rubbing or ride being too stiff? Looks like about a one inch drop?

Front tires would catch those chrome fender lips..they were on the car when I bought it and didn’t want to remove them for fear of what was underneath. 

You shouldn’t have any troubles. 

Ed

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

I really like my ST springs! They will lower your car about .5 inch. I have them paired with some Bilstein HD's and I think they are great. Using IE sway bars.

Good ride, great for the street, not harsh and yet still do well in the twists.  Keep them or put them up for sale if you wish to change out, they are NLA from ST. 

They paired great with the HD's. But now you would now have to pair them with Koni's. You may have to dial the Koni's in to fit your taste. 

Like the drop, like the ride. 

Edited by Vicleonardo1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

The st's should be fine for you, but you need to realize that your asking people about how the ride will be is totally subjective it's kinda of like buying the brand of underwear that I wear because they fit me so fine, your results may very.

PS for those who must know I wear underwear by the famous Designer Kirk Land.   

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

With in reason, the height if the springs unloaded is no indicator of ride height, it depends on how tight the springs are wound and wire diameter and stiffness. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thank you for the response, it was a bit eye-opening to see the difference in uncompressed height. It doesn’t look like these ST ones were cut so maybe the coil’s are just, as you suggested, stiffer and will compress less.