• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'02 gas filling

Perhsps, like many other '02 owners, I'm tired of the difficulty to fill my '72 tii's gas tank.  It seems the filler tube into the tank is not a good fit for 21st century gas pump nozzles.  Does anyone know of a professional after-market fix or other workaround?  I can't be the only owner who's frustrated by this mismatch.  All suggestions appreciated.

HBChris used to have curved adapters made that mated to the CA pumps.

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

There have been a few members on the site selling adapters that make it easier to fill up, using the stock location; if you don't want to add plumbing to the trunk and have to open it to fuel up.  Here is one example

post-35489-0-44828100-1372092227_thumb.j

Here are some search results from the archives

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/?q=gas filler adapter&quick=1

If you need to fill up before buying an adapter, try rotating the nozzle so the hose is on top, with the handle upside down.

It is a little awkward having to hold it that way while putting gas in, but it tends to shut off a lot less.

Tom

My solution for splash free, full flow filling... designed for my bad back so no need to crouch or squat with the higher location to insert the gas pump nozzle. The black pipe is essentially the stand which allows you to press down on the gas pump nozzle when filling; a corrugated hose is in the curved section of the pipe. PM me if you’re interested; I made a few extra. 

0608C89A-1916-4B43-A365-D702598F4149.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All the fuel gravity drains into the car via the white corrugated hose, which is about 16” long and an inch in diameter. Both ends can be capped once any excess fuel is wiped off so there are no fumes or spillage once stored in the trunk. If you’re thinking the fuel fills the black pipe, you don’t understand the concept. 

Edited by Schon '02

2 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

My solution for splash free, full flow filling... designed for my bad back so no need to crouch or squat with the higher location to insert the gas pump nozzle. The black pipe is essentially the stand which allows you to press down on the gas pump nozzle when filling; a corrugated hose is in the curved section of the pipe. PM me if you’re interested; I made a few extra. 

Your rig looks like it escaped from the basement of your house, underneath the toilet!  But it's a great idea.  Betcha you get some strange looks when you pull into a gas station and pull that out of your trunk!  Thank goodness Ohio hasn't adopted those goofy hose nozzles!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 hours ago, Schon '02 said:

you carry that monster around with you? 
that thing doubles as a riot weapon!

• Haha 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Great idea! Next version will be made of black iron pipe for riot control!

Seriously, it fits nicely behind the rear strut tower brace. If needed, the stand pipe portion has a screwed coupling so I can adjust the height, and if needed unscrew the bottom half for compact storage.