• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Floor pan - oh! oh!

TNan

It seems like I got myself in a little pickle.  I'm currently 'trying' to replace my new frame rail AND my new driver floor pan both purchased from W&N but I may have botched my floor pan cutting.  Am I SOL or do you guys think this is salvageable (or will I need to place another order (damn!)?   My frame rail is measured to the tee - so I'm certain its in the correct position - however in the photo you will see there's a gap between the floor pan and the end of the rail.  I know W&N's pans are not formed like the original - could this be the reason???  FML!

IMG_1891.JPG

IMG_1888.JPG

For starters you should trim the flange on the rail where it sits on top of the floor drain boss. That’ll tighten things up some. You'll likely need to remove some of the flange at the end of the rail too where it meets the end stop formed into the pan as well

• Like 6

Yeah, as you mentioned yourself, who says the frame rails are stamped as they should?

Obviously the front subframe points need to be correct but the rest is not very important measurement wise.

Like others suggested, try pushing the frame rails up with a jack or even some long metal screws and go from there.

• Like 1

Once things are tacked up you could through drill and draw it up. Use a bit of heat to help things along. If jacking it up you might take a 4x4 or so and cut a shoe to conform to the radius of the rail to support it while jacking. 

The W&N floor pan isn't a perfect fit to the original frame rail either, but mine was closer than yours.

That bump at the rear of the pan is supposed to line up with the end of the frame rail flange, it also looks like the frame rail flange is overlapping the round drain plug area, so make sure that isn't pushing the pan up.

Maybe you can slide the pan further back and see if it matches up better?

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

Yeah your going to have to notch around the drain boss first then after spot welding jack the rear up to the floor checking to be sure you don't put a pressure bend into the flange if so notch the flange with a small v that you can weld over. Remember your not forcing the parts together your using the engineering principle of pre-loading.  

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944